Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100% failure percentage last night on the three penalties.

How can that be with the benefit of a million angles, and slow motion?

Bin the whole fucking thing, if you can't get it to at least a 95% success ratio its not worth losing the spontaneity of goal celebrations.

Better off just accepting the referees make mistakes.

Keep it for offsides and dangerous tackles only
Plenty of dangerous tackles haven't been punished properly, Tarkowski the other night for example. Granted it was against Spam so I didn't mind. As for offsides it takes away goals by tiny margins ie Son at Leicester, Mane at Villa. Loads more , how many clangers has it really fixed? It takes away more than it gives IMO.

Although it's tough when a referee made an honest mistake or didn't see something in real time, it's more acceptable than the shambles when VAR gets it wrong after viewing an incident from every angle.
I still don't understand why the ref doesn't look at a monitor, like they did at the World Cup; I just assumed that was the way it was going to operate. IMO, if a ref isn't making the decision, what the heck is the point of them being on the pitch?!!

Although it's tough when a referee made an honest mistake or didn't see something in real time, it's more acceptable than the shambles when VAR gets it wrong after viewing an incident from every angle.
I still don't understand why the ref doesn't look at a monitor, like they did at the World Cup; I just assumed that was the way it was going to operate. IMO, if a ref isn't making the decision, what the heck is the point of them being on the pitch?!!
The problem I have with the system is it's a cop out for the ref on the pitch. They do not use the sideline monitors and make a decision. Instead they pass it 'upstairs' to the VAR official and put the responsibility on them. I absolutely guarantee you that if the ref had awarded a penalty last night for the Harry Kane incident then Michael Oliver would have backed the decision to the hilt and we'd have come home with all three points. It's scandalous.

A lot of complaints with the monitor of it being unnecessary and takes too much time, we went our own way.

Regardless of the monitor imo VAR will always take more away than it gives. And the injustice felt when it gets it wrong (and it will) is a lot greater.

The problem I have with the system is it's a cop out for the ref on the pitch. They do not use the sideline monitors and make a decision. Instead they pass it 'upstairs' to the VAR official and put the responsibility on them. I absolutely guarantee you that if the ref had awarded a penalty last night for the Harry Kane incident then Michael Oliver would have backed the decision to the hilt and we'd have come home with all three points. It's scandalous.
By design it will agree with the on field ref unless it's 100% a mistake, but what wasn't considered is VAR also changes the behaviour of the on field ref who leaves it to VAR to decide... There's now a bias to no decision

By design it will agree with the on field ref unless it's 100% a mistake, but what wasn't considered is VAR also changes the behaviour of the on field ref who leaves it to VAR to decide... There's now a bias to no decision
Indeed, which is why a pitch-side monitor would resolve the problem. You remove the delegation of decision and the desire not to override your colleague.

The VAR person shouldn't be making any decisions, just drawing attention to stuff and cueing up the video for the actual referee.

Wasn’t sure where to stick this. Bournemouth are considering legal action over the VAR/GLT error in the Blades/Villa game.

The point Villa got was arguably balanced by the one THEY got when we didn’t get the penalty. It’s a bit shit that the GLT clearly wasn’t on and we’ve been on the end of multiple goals not given over the years, but where do you draw the line?

They got a decision their way too.

This is exactly my problem with VAR. You can bring all the technology you want into the game but if it’s going to be operated by people who all support a certain team, there will always be decisions based upon their love/hate of each team.
As funny as it is to see Liverpool get screwed over, it’s clear to see the idiot making that decision dislikes Liverpool due to his support of Man Utd and that there highlights how pointless it is..

This is exactly my problem with VAR. You can bring all the technology you want into the game but if it’s going to be operated by people who all support a certain team, there will always be decisions based upon their love/hate of each team.
As funny as it is to see Liverpool get screwed over, it’s clear to see the idiot making that decision dislikes Liverpool due to his support of Man Utd and that there highlights how pointless it is..

The thing is their offside was offside when you bring the lines up, its bullshit but was actually offside like we have had given against us and every other team

Do your duty and give Dan Walker some shit (actually a nice innocent church going bloke but fuck him.. insulting Roberts with emojis)

The thing is their offside was offside when you bring the lines up, its bullshit but was actually offside like we have had given against us and every other team

Again, the fact that the user can misuse the equipment or use it to suit what ever decision he wants it to say is why it is pointless.

I agree the line used doesn’t look straight but I still think it would be onside if they straightened it up. I’ve seen it without lines and all that bollocks and I can’t see how it was offside from any angle.

Was well in favour of it, but after seeing how it's being used for long enough, I'd rather go back to human error and live with.

It's just too arbitrary, inconsistent, imprecise and slow. Huge errors still being made: glaring fouls, handballs being missed, goals being ruled out for millimetre offsides where it's impossible to determine accurately, paying fans in stadiums not having a clue what's going on.

Drastic overhaul required or just get rid.

ibet his twitter feed isnt full of whining scousers wishing his kids get cancer

Back
Top Bottom