Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

watch Leeds disallowed goal against Palace
Bamford - who was clearly onside, had his goal disallowed as he pointed to where he wanted the ball, and his hand was adjudged to have been offside.

football refereeing is totally and utterly fucked

VAR is now in the hands of the monster raving loony party.

mental

Wow. Just seen images of the Bamford 'offside'. Absolutely shocking. What the fuck have these bureaucrats done to the beautiful game?

The implementation of VAR and these fad rules has ruined this game. It's getting less enjoyable and watchable. Bin the whole fucking thing. I'll go back to shit refs and dodgy linesmen.

Wow. Just seen images of the Bamford 'offside'. Absolutely shocking. What the fuck have these bureaucrats done to the beautiful game?

The implementation of VAR and these fad rules has ruined this game. It's getting less enjoyable and watchable. Bin the whole fucking thing. I'll go back to shit refs and dodgy linesmen.
I was just bout to post bout this. He literally pointed to where he wanted the ball and that made him offside. Plus i thought because you cant score with your arm it wont make you offside

The law is an arse.

BBC.

By the letter of the law, it was the correct decision to rule it out.

While the action of pointing itself was not the reason for ruling it out, it was the fact his arm was deemed to be in an offside position, regardless of its motion.

A change in the handball rule means that the top of the arm, a part of his body that a person can score with, can be offside.

watch Leeds disallowed goal against Palace
Bamford - who was clearly onside, had his goal disallowed as he pointed to where he wanted the ball, and his hand was adjudged to have been offside.

football refereeing is totally and utterly fucked

VAR is now in the hands of the monster raving loony party.

mental
Oh dear...

You do realise top of the arm is now deemed legal to score

My concerns with it still is that they're using awful camera angles that mean the VAR official has to guess where to put the lines. There's no way that can be done accurately from a camera that's so far behind play. They're also arbitrarily choosing the frame to use as the reference which means the outcome can be manipulated by choosing a frame that looks more or less likely to be offside. If I recall correctly they're only using 24fps footage which is too slow for fast action.

Last edited:
VAR will always take away more than it gives imo, nothing over the past year or so has changed my mind. Its not just UK, its shit most places

🙏 Patrick Bamford's goal disallowed against Palace. Leeds on a rampage "because only the arm with which he indicates the passage is over the line".

🤔 What do you think? Was it a real advantage?

🙏 Patrick Bamford's goal disallowed against Palace. Leeds on a rampage "because only the arm with which he indicates the passage is over the line".

🤔 What do you think? Was it a real advantage?

I think it’s the worst offside call yet. Pre VAR it isn’t offside and shouldn’t be now. If that was against us we’d be going mad.

I just feel folk like me who were initially all in favour of VAR have been duped. No way would I ever have voted for this slow, forensic analysis of offsides. All the sane ones among us wanted was for the VAR to have a quick look at a goal then judge if it's offside to the eye. No fucking lines required, if looking level give the goal, etc, but yet again common sense goes out the window.

I just feel folk like me who were initially all in favour of VAR have been duped. No way would I ever have voted for this slow, forensic analysis of offsides. All the sane ones among us wanted was for the VAR to have a quick look at a goal then judge if it's offside to the eye. No fucking lines required, if looking level give the goal, etc, but yet again common sense goes out the window.

Yep. I honestly though VAR would help us out as a club. But instead it’s fucked us even more. Very naive of me.

Yeah I was all for it, I didn’t take into account how utterly incompetent the people managing it would be

Swarbrick in the VAR office offering opinion whilst he shouldn’t be apparently. Breach of protocol is the suggestion. It’s just an absolute joke. The Prem needs to suspend it and iron it out as a minimum.

It’s bringing the game into disrepute.
It ought to be a tool to improve & correct poor decision making.
IMO, it’s doing neither and creating more controversy than it’s meant to be preventing

Back
Top Bottom