Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s not as binary as saying PLAY THEM IN EUROPE.

I agree we create a blend in home games, but we’ve got a hectic schedule always coming off the back of International travels. Massive difference in home and away games. Even with a local game like Vittesee, players still go a night without sleep. You may scoff, but that absolutely effects their performance on Sunday. No debate

This was the one game where it made sense to flip all 11
Good job we are not in the CL as we would have to play the first teamers. I was not against using the support players being mainly used, but consider the Rennes game as a better approach when Moura who has only played 1 game in the last couple of weeks, Kane & Ndombele played part of the match. Also even Poch that picked reserve sides in Cup games had the big guns on the bench as security which was frequently needed.
Blame the players or the coaching but this type of performance in cup games has been happening for years and is a good part of the reason why we are Trophy less. I supported Mourinho's approach last season when he played stronger teams.
Play that 11 against Burnley on Wednesday and that will lead to an inevitable exit from the cup. No I would not play the PL 11 but certainly a mixture and the rest on the bench.

Good Morning What GIF by Party Down South
Love your sense of fun, though this looks more like self defence prep

Good job we are not in the CL as we would have to play the first teamers. I was not against using the support players being mainly used, but consider the Rennes game as a better approach when Moura who has only played 1 game in the last couple of weeks, Kane & Ndombele played part of the match. Also even Poch that picked reserve sides in Cup games had the big guns on the bench as security which was frequently needed.
Blame the players or the coaching but this type of performance in cup games has been happening for years and is a good part of the reason why we are Trophy less. I supported Mourinho's approach last season when he played stronger teams.
Play that 11 against Burnley on Wednesday and that will lead to an inevitable exit from the cup. No I would not play the PL 11 but certainly a mixture and the rest on the bench.
My point is he won’t do this again, it was a one off as he has to play a decent 11 against Burnley. This is probably one of the only games it makes sense to rest the whole 11 as we can’t afford to do it again. It was situational

Interesting discussion: is it best to have a powerful and effective team, or to build around an individual? We seem to have a history of going backwards if we build around or relying on a talent (Bale, Kane, Dembele, Eriksen). Perhaps it’s time to play as a squad and a team? Jose played to Kane, and was then fucked when he was injured; Poch had more of a team ethos and could just about survive (ie, get to CL final without him).

Football is a team game, and perhaps more trust and coaching for the remainder of the squad could elevate their level and their performance? Dunno - only as good as weakest link etc.
What if they're all the weakest link? Ok, Gil and Rodon I don't have any beef with, and I still burn a candle for Bergwijn (although the flame's in danger of going out). But the rest? Just average. So very average.

Thank goodness we threw this game so that our elite first team could be well rested and in peak condition for the West Ham game, there's nothing I enjoy more than seeing us lose drab games of football by 1 goal to shite teams, whilst posing absolutely no attacking threat at any moment, so to be blessed by not one but two such games in 3 days is just spoiling us, #thankyouNuno #proud #fuckDNA.

I'm so pleased that we have done away with any crazy notions of playing good football and looking to score goals, in favour of Nuno’s astoundingly successful brand.

Back
Top Bottom