War, scandal and ticker tape – Ossie Ardiles and the 1978 World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav, Mundial Magazine and Ossie Ardiles revisit one of the most memorable World Cup tournaments in living memory.

Read article
Great read!
Having attended my first Spurs game at the age of 5 or 6 and then subsequently going to approx 5 or 6 games a year thereafter I could proudly call myself a Spurs fan. It was not until this World Cup final however that I became an obsessed football fan at the age of 10yrs. It was the first World Cup I had ever seen and it was like NOTHING I had ever seen before. I remember my school classes doing lessons on Argentina. This tournament and the resulting transfers of Ossie and Ricky meant that football and Spurs became my universe.

The passion felt by Spurs fans towards both Ossie & Ricky was amazing and only got more vocal as the Falklands War kick off with Spurs fans defiantly singing their names and wearing Argentina shirts.

For the reasons above I am desperate for Poch & Lamela to carve their names into Spurs history.

To this day I follow Argentine football and I have now saved up enough air miles to take me to Buenos Aires, I'm hoping next year will be the year. For anyone interested I highly recommend following @HEGS_com and listening to his podcast @HandOfPod https://handofpod.wordpress.com
article-2647816-1E71FCB300000578-421_964x635.jpg

We tried!!!
PA-4723431.jpg

Great read!
Having attended my first Spurs game at the age of 5 or 6 and then subsequently going to approx 5 or 6 games a year thereafter I could proudly call myself a Spurs fan. It was not until this World Cup final however that I became an obsessed football fan at the age of 10yrs. It was the first World Cup I had ever seen and it was like NOTHING I had ever seen before. I remember my school classes doing lessons on Argentina. This tournament and the resulting transfers of Ossie and Ricky meant that football and Spurs became my universe.

The passion felt by Spurs fans towards both Ossie & Ricky was amazing and only got more vocal as the Falklands War kick off with Spurs fans defiantly singing their names and wearing Argentina shirts.

For the reasons above I am desperate for Poch & Lamela to carve their names into Spurs history.

To this day I follow Argentine football and I have now saved up enough air miles to take me to Buenos Aires, I'm hoping next year will be the year. For anyone interested I highly recommend following @HEGS_com and listening to his podcast @HandOfPod https://handofpod.wordpress.com
article-2647816-1E71FCB300000578-421_964x635.jpg

We tried!!!
PA-4723431.jpg
I do think our Argentina connection warrants the odd rendition of the "Argentina-Argentina!!!" chant that Man Utd used to sing. At least we have positive reasons to sing it, and it would wind up something chronic the white trash fans at e.g. Chavs and Spammers.

I do think our Argentina connection warrants the odd rendition of the "Argentina-Argentina!!!" chant that Man Utd used to sing. At least we have positive reasons to sing it, and it would wind up something chronic the white trash fans at e.g. Chavs and Spammers.
I'll settle for anything. Seeing Poch is a Newels Old Boy we should nick something from them and change the words..........over to you Spanish speakers!! A clip for inspiration. (BTW that clip is a sell out of 40,000 Newels fans come to attend a training session ahead of the derby game against Rossario Central and it's 1 hour before the training starts!!!! Fucking Epic!).

Really loved ossie and Ricky was so excited visiting the lane to see them play.

Even though I have doubted whether lamella would ever reveal his talents. I am so glad that he is flying now and that Poch is doing such a great job. Time I believe to reprise the ticker tape welcomes

Rosario Central are known for their ticker tape welcomes, there are a few in this comp vid below.

If you want to see more enter Recibimiento (Spanish for welcome, a welcome for their rivals) into YouTube search, I recommend some of the Racing ones too. They did a special celebration in honour of the famous commentator Victor Hugo Morales which was off the scale, must have been a ton of paper, mostly till rolls.

Last edited:
Rosario Central are known for their ticker tape welcomes, there are a few in this comp vid below.

If you want to see more enter Recibimiento (Spanish for welcome) into YouTube search, I recommend some of the Racing ones too. They did a special celebration in honour of the famous commentator Victor Hugo Morales which was off the scale, must have been a ton of paper, mostly till rolls.

That's flipping mental

If you want to see more enter Recibimiento (Spanish for welcome) into YouTube search, I recommend some of the Racing ones too. They did a special celebration in honour of the famous commentator Victor Hugo Morales which was off the scale, must have been a ton of paper, mostly till rolls.

We should do one for Barry Davies, he is Spurs.

well...that not will be in England...maybe if Spurs will win Premier League ,everything will escalate quickly on W.H.L

Bump for our resident Argie JPav03 JPav03

Our last game against man Utd definable needs to be tickertape game

Great read! You always seem to hear a lot of talk about the 86 WC, but the 76 one is kind of overlooked. Maybe because of the dictatorship that was in power, maybe because Maradona scoring the "hand of god" is more iconic.
Whatever the reason, it is great to hear Ossie talk about it and It's hard to argue against the idea that "Football and politics should be separate entities". I don't know how is it in England, but in Argieland we are still a long way from that separation. And yes, important matches should definitely be tickertape matches.

trouble with that world cup for me was I was on the dole so it was pub till 1045 then home watch the start of the argie games then next thing I knew it was white dot on tv

Back
Top Bottom