Was the 1980s 5 year European ban for English clubs justified?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With respect mate, thats bollocks. It's a well known fact that Liverpool fans broke into finals in Rome, Instanbul and Brussels as well as Wembley v Everton. I'm sure you are a decent bloke but I am sick to death of the saintly image given to one of the worst set of fans in this country. I've been going to football for nigh on 50 years and never felt the need to kick my way in a stadium..Voiding the season will be karma.

There were ticketless Liverpool fans in the cordon at the final in Madrid last season climbing into the stadium through the tiny slats. Saw it with my own eyes. Unbelievable for a modern stadium and brutal policing around but it happened.

Liverpool should have been banned for 20 years from European competition and given a huge fine, they literally murdered people

yet it was everyone else that suffered

Funny how Hillsbrough is remembered every year but fuck all about Heysel isn’t it

There were ticketless Liverpool fans in the cordon at the final in Madrid last season climbing into the stadium through the tiny slats. Saw it with my own eyes. Unbelievable for a modern stadium and brutal policing around but it happened.
The initial ticket check about 100 yards outside the stadium, there were maybe 50 Liverpool fans without tickets trying to intimidate the armed police, I went in straight away so didn’t watch to see if they tried to bum rush, but they were certainly contemplating it

rats

Salt of the earth eh?

That story is from 2007, but I noticed these quotes, and the irony of them is almost literally mind blowing:

Les Lawson, spokesman for the official LFC supporters' club, said: "This is typical of UEFA. Rather than look at their own shortcomings, they want to shove the blame somewhere else.

"The fact they are not willing to stand up and take responsibility is worrying for fans, because that means they will never learn from their mistakes."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cllr Clark, who attended the Athens match, added: "To make matters worse, instead of looking at their own faults UEFA are blaming the people of Liverpool."

"Saying this is typical of Liverpool fans is unfair and reflects badly on the image of the city."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "UEFA is dragging Liverpool's name through the mud to deflect attention from themselves. Big governing bodies like UEFA always look for scapegoats and never accept any blame.

Slightly different tangent but I wonder whether the ban might have been the starting point of the Premier League, a more corporate approach to football, a rebrand once the ban was over..

If that ban had not have happened and this was still Barclays Division One, would Serie A or the Bundesliga be the major force in Europe???

That ban could arguably be the sliding doors moment..

There are other things too, like all seater stadia & Sky coming in with big money but probably a combination of all of those things led to a Premier League.

Also once the ban was over, look at how the Champions League and Premier League shot up and domestic competitions became ever more insignificant.

I still think it was more down to English clubs beginning to dominate europe. Other countries fans were every bit as bad, and Italians being the worse of the lot. I don't think there was an English team that came up against an Italian side back then that hasn't got horror stories about blade wielding shitheads attacking ordinary fans Yet, its all brushed under the carpet. Still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

In the 60s I went to watch Liverpool at WHL and someone threw a cup of red hot tea over me for nothing I was a kid of 16. Another time we got chased by a gang of Spurs fans . Never caught me but my mate got a bit of a beating. Thats how it was then. I am not so stupid as to label all Spurs fans as morons or hooligans. All clubs have idiots .
Yes, the tea was a bit stewed in those days. You can get Earl Grey chucked at you now. How times have changed.

Sums up perfectly how bourgeois football has become.

Last time I was on the terraces some oppo scallywag insulted me by aggressively reciting medievel french poetry at me.

Thankfully my Latin is up to scratch and I showed 'em who's boss! :adestare:

Last time I was on the terraces some oppo scallywag insulted me by aggressively reciting medievel french poetry at me.

Thankfully my Latin is up to scratch and I showed 'em who's boss! :adestare:
That deserves a double haha - at the very least.

:levylol::levylol::levylol:

Back
Top Bottom