Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

20 shots / 9 on target / 2.2 XG(*)

Their keeper made some good saves.

2 vs their 1 in terms of contentious penalty non-calls.

We deserved to win.

We fully deserved to win last game too.

(*I'm no XG guy, but it's funny how peeps only cite it when it makes us look bad.)
Okay but our play itself wasn't good enough.

We didn't have many clear cut chances apart from when they gave the ball away to Kane. Son had a half chance from Lucas pass. What else?

When he played as a lone ST he didn’t play back to goal tho, like Ronaldo he looked to run in behind. We aren’t using his running currently, he’s not running with the ball out wide or running in behind (generally)

I get that there are varying way to play around your ST, but if you're gonna play Berg / Son / Lucas like was the narrative for much of the summer and early part of Nuno's run, and yet have no regular creative MF; then your CF best be able to hold the ball up and get their head on the end of some crosses or you're pretty fucked.

Emerson was not as abysmal as some make out.
He's had 15-20 games which is enough to make an initial assessment. Frankly, doesn't appear good enough. Yesterday he was abysmal - regardless of any stats.

We have a track record with RBs .

The language excuse is a red herring. Aguero never bothered to learn English. Bielsa does not appear to be able to string a sentence together.

You care to explain or is this just the bollocks it appears to be at face value....?
We’d be playing 343 only if our wingbacks actually understood or knew how to execute the role, we have Aaron Wan Bissaka 2.0 as a wingback, and a downgrade on Danny Rose on the left. nothing can actually come out of it. Seeing that they’re both more defensively oriented, we play 523 with a midfield 2 that are DM’s so maybe we play 7-0- 3. Considering the players we have, I think Conte should have adapted to a 4 man defensive line up and allowed the team flourish at least till he got those he felt would deliver to him. I thought we had the players for 343, but we actually don’t.
He doesn't trust Ndombele & Dele to execute the other parts of the game. Gio is always injured.

(*Eriksen initially struggled to adapt that's all.... Not unlike Fabregas.)

If you can't/won't follow instructions you likely won't play.
I also don’t trust Ndombele tbh, I like him, he is the most skillful, technical and entertaining footballer in the team, you just need a DM who would consistently cover for him, that shouldn’t be too hard to ask, and if we had done that, eventually his game would grow and he would become more responsible. His style of play is largely dependent on confidence, he is a very risky footballer, but those are the genius type ballers, see Veratti, if I coached him, I’d have shot him literally. But they thrive on confidence, making them disinterested wouldn’t help.
PEH has offered nothing for half the time since this season began, but he gets the nod, same with Son. Only person who is at risk is Reggie, I mean he doesn’t cut Reggie a slack, he can do same with others I think.
If I were a midfielder and I watched PEH play the way he’s been playing, I’d low key be offended that I don’t get a look in, my confidence would slowly die, I really would like to see Ali/Bergwijn play off Kane instead of Son

Watching the game Chavs v pool and the pace and intensity they play with compared to our pedestrian often sloppy style is like chalk and cheese.
Something we can only dream of, Chelsea have quality, some expensive some not so.
Liverpool got Tsimikas and Jota for peanuts when compared to the quality they posses.
How they got a free run at Jota is beyond me.
Chelsea literally have players we need but aren’t guaranteed starters.
Saw what Kante did for the goal and I look at our midfield and I can only dream.
The way Alonso and Trent spray balls around is juicy.

Something we can only dream of, Chelsea have quality, some expensive some not so.
Liverpool got Tsimikas and Jota for peanuts when compared to the quality they posses.
How they got a free run at Jota is beyond me.
Chelsea literally have players we need but aren’t guaranteed starters.
Saw what Kante did for the goal and I look at our midfield and I can only dream.
The way Alonso and Trent spray balls around is juicy.
Yup that is true but it’s also about the mentality to attempt to play a more adventurous attacking pass especially first time. That needs to be coached and also drummed into the players. I fear we have now had 3 managers who like to play counter attack football rather play zipping the ball around and having players making runs to receive the pass. I will always rennet Glenn use to say that a forward pass is only good if a player makes a run.

This is utter bollocks.... We didn't "shit it" (park the bus) against Wolves.

We didn't against S'oton.

We didn't against Palace.

We didn't against Liverpool.

Find another sport... This one is not for you.
Which games are you referring to? The wolves away game this season they battered us. Pool game ok we played on the counter and created some great chances. Soton away again they were all over us as we sat back and let them dictate the pace until they went down to 10. Palace away same again we were atrocious.

Watching the game Chavs v pool and the pace and intensity they play with compared to our pedestrian often sloppy style is like chalk and cheese.
Thats because both teams are trying to play, we looked fine vs Liverpool, but you wouldnt see this tempo is either Chavs or Liverpool parked the bus Watford/Soton style...

Yup that is true but it’s also about the mentality to attempt to play a more adventurous attacking pass especially first time. That needs to be coached and also drummed into the players. I fear we have now had 3 managers who like to play counter attack football rather play zipping the ball around and having players making runs to receive the pass. I will always rennet Glenn use to say that a forward pass is only good if a player makes a run.
That is probably the said Tottenham DNA.
Because 3 coaches?!!!

Let’s hope we sign him then and he does well for us so you can eat some badly needed humble pie

Got no problem being wrong..... I'd rather I was if he ends up here.

Are you really that seduced by his skills then?

Got no problem being wrong..... I'd rather I was if he ends up here.

Are you really that seduced by his skills then?
No I just think he is better than what we have. If you asked a selection of defenders who they would least like to face out of say Bergwijn, Moura or Traore I am pretty confident who they would pick

Back
Top Bottom