Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No offence but did you even watch the Spurs v Liverpool game? Based on play / chances we fully deserved the win because we played with pace and intensity. We do the same against the Chavs we are sorted.
I was referring to the games v soton and Watford where we pass the ball around too slow or don’t get the crosses in early enough.

"In all, Emerson slung in 14 crosses, of which just five found Spurs players, while none of Reguilon's five crosses reached a team-mate."

Says a lot. We can upgrade on both these wing-backs.

What is the universally accepted success rate?

.....And what was the balance between ours and oppo players in the box on these occasions?

Not that I'd claim to know but context is always nice.

I swear 5/14 sounds quite Trippier-like and he's never too far from Spurs fan's lips when it comes to crossing.

Last edited:
What is the universally accepted success rate?

.....And what was the balance between ours and oppo players in the box on these occasions?

Not that I'd claim to know but context is always nice.

I swear 5/14 sounds quite Trippier-like and he's never to far from Spurs fans lips when it comes to crossing.
Just seen MoTD highlights

Ian Wright: "they should have just given the ball to Emerson every time..."

FFS we're not talking about a 17 yr old rookie from the yoof. I've no doubt that Conte will either drill into his skull what to do or he's out, so not pressing the pancake button just yet.

But really, lamentable in possession, every fuccking time

Just seen MoTD highlights

Ian Wright: "they should have just given the ball to Emerson every time..."

Wouldn't be the first shit-take from a pundit though would it?

Look; I'm not suggesting for a moment his crossing was good (for context; I'm not a massive Trippier fan).... I just think the reality is being over-played.

FFS we're not talking about a 17 yr old rookie from the yoof.

We're not talking the Matt Doherty end of the scale either.

I've no doubt that Conte will either drill into his skull what to do or he's out, so not pressing the pancake button just yet.

Fair play...... That's really not very far from where my head is it on it all.

In the meantime I think Doherty needs to go, so natural selection would hopefully bring someone in to complete with him anyway and if he ends up as #2 in stead so be it.

But really, lamentable in possession, every fuccking time

I think he suffers a lot from indecision..... Always seems slow to make his mind up as to what he should do with the ball..... This is could simply be an initial struggle to adapt the pace of the league and/or Conte's tactics and I'm perfectly calm that we'll find out for sure in due course.

....In the meantime; a new RWB is not a priority for me like it is for some. We desperately need a CM to be a full-time partner for Skipp who can bring a reliable blend of workrate and quality to the table.

(+ Given the complaints about Emerson; the prevailing desire for Traore to replace him is a mindblowing contradiction to me.)

I actually think this is more relevant / important than many realise. Yes Emerson's crossing was terrible yesterday, and Adama's normally is too. However, Emerson was usually crossing from poor positions because he was either unwilling or incapable of beating his man. Adama would simply have smashed his way past that man to the byline, and hopefully smashed a random ball across a dangerous area. So whilst they are both poor at passing / crossing generally, Adama's ability to easily get into a better position would (for me at least) have made him more likely to create a goal.

Before anyone says it, I know Adama has no assists this season - it's not as though Emerson looked like a world class deliverer of the ball yesterday either, but at least at Spurs Adama would have lots of better targets to aim for. In any case, for me it's not games like yesterday's where Adama would be the greatest asset - it would be games where we are under lots of pressure. His ability to get you 30 yards up the pitch when you're under pressure would be godsend against some of the better sides..
Don't let him go to Wham..!

Back
Top Bottom