Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No I just think he is better than what we have. If you asked a selection of defenders who they would least like to face out of say Bergwijn, Moura or Traore I am pretty confident who they would pick

I think you missed the latest meeting. Everybody banging on about Traore wants him as a wing-back now.

FWIW though; on current form/output I'd take Lucas > Traore hands down.

Traore is a completely different beast to Royal. A fit and firing Traore takes people on for fun drawing the opposition defenders towards him and by doing so creates space for his team mates. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Traore has the same end product as Davies, Reg, Doherty, Tanganga, Royal and Seggs.

Fuck all.

Pretty good defenders but offer nothing going forward.

Traore has the same end product as Davies, Reg, Doherty, Tanganga, Royal and Seggs.

Fuck all.

Pretty good defenders but offer nothing going forward.
Have responded already to this point several times. I think he could be a good fit in a better team than Wolves. We have been completely one paced in our last two matches so we need to offer something else going forward

He has been poor for Spain, they thought he would be a good plan b... They changed their mind
Not really been given much of a chance to be honest- a few minutes here and there. Maybe his style doesn’t suit the Spanish international team’s way of playing which must mean he’d be crap for us!!!! And of course these international managers always know what they are doing, Southgate, Capello, Greenwood, Taylor, Erickson etc. I mean Ray Wilkins played more times for England than Glenn Hoddle did so I guess you must think that Ray was the better player as well.

Not really been given much of a chance to be honest- a few minutes here and there. Maybe his style doesn’t suit the Spanish international team’s way of playing which must mean he’d be crap for us!!!! And of course these international managers always know what they are doing, Southgate, Capello, Greenwood, Taylor, Erickson etc. I mean Ray Wilkins played more times for England than Glenn Hoddle did so I guess you must think that Ray was the better player as well.
He's had a few starts and plan b is just that 20 minutes to change the game. Point I was making was he hasn't only played with poor wolves players but elite Spanish ones also. That negates that point

He's had a few starts and plan b is just that 20 minutes to change the game. Point I was making was he hasn't only played with poor wolves players but elite Spanish ones also. That negates that point
It doesn’t negate anything. It just means his style of play doesn’t suit tippy tappy Spain

It doesn’t negate anything. It just means his style of play doesn’t suit tippy tappy Spain
He's playing with good players, that negates he's ineffective because he plays with bad. Tippy tappy is a different point (Spain haven't been that for a while but that's a different point)

When he played as a lone ST he didn’t play back to goal tho, like Ronaldo he looked to run in behind. We aren’t using his running currently, he’s not running with the ball out wide or running in behind (generally)
As far as I can tell, both Nuno and Conte have wanted to play with Kane running in behind, but the through balls just never come. If you go back and watch almost any previous match (yesterday wasn't the best example but the point remains) and just study Kane all game, you'll see him constantly pointing out passing lanes and making the runs.

I bitched about this earlier on in the season and nothing has changed:
Kane still seems tired and under the weather, of course, but nobody on the team can seem to get him a shooting chance, which, if he's going to be instructed to play as a 9 again, they need to do. Multiple times a match, I see him calling for a pass that makes sense - i.e. one that a good passer could execute with reasonable consistency - but the player on the ball never seems to even try it.

It's still the same thing. Most of the balls Kane asks for aren't unreasonably difficult for PL-level players, especially supposed MFs, wingers/wingbacks or attackers. Hell, a lot of the time, he's signaling for the smartest, safest, easiest, or most effective out ball in the situation, yet it falls on deaf ears.

If I were more conspiratorially-minded, I might suggest that some of the team have adopted the same attitude as the fans and no longer want to give Kane the ball. I (mostly) don't believe that though. In reality, it seems like a systemic cowardice among the midfielders and other players generally that leads them to eschew ambitious passes in favour of safe, non-progressive balls. Kane's not the only attacker affected by this lack of creation, but he's the one, as far as my observations have indicated, who makes the largest number of clear requests for passes into his runs and whose current role most heavily depends on the players behind him not ignoring him.

It's a real shame because it seems like he could actually emerge from his slump completely if he could just get a bit more service on a regular basis. Today, he was mostly back to serving other attackers by holding up the ball or carrying it forward (which isn't his ideal role ofc). With all of his successful take-ons and progressive passes, if he'd scored that big chance, it would've been a very good performance from him, IMO. Oh well, I still think he's finally recovering from his nightmare summer.

(When I say "you" in this post, I mean the generic all-encompassing "you"; rather than you, the poster Zomb , with whom I mostly agree.)

As far as I can tell, both Nuno and Conte have wanted to play with Kane running in behind, but the through balls just never come. If you go back and watch almost any previous match (yesterday wasn't the best example but the point remains) and just study Kane all game, you'll see him constantly pointing out passing lanes and making the runs.

Actually, that's false. The through balls have been coming - he's just been missing a shit load.

He's missed plenty of sitters this season.

One, via Igula Igula 's favorite player, who put it on a sliver platter for Kane a week or so ago.

Then against Brentford from an exquisite pass from Skipp

Then via a perfect pass from Dier against Woolwich

Need more Igula Igula ?

Actually, that's false. The through balls have been coming - he's just been missing a shit load.
That doesn't tally with the number of games in which he's had almost no touches inside opposition boxes or the number of games in which he's literally not had a shooting opportunity.

A single example of a Kane miscontrol is utterly meaningless. A run-through striker needs to be receiving those kinds of passes multiple times a game every single game if they want to dominate.

And anyway, none of that has anything to do with the sheer number of missed opportunities for forward passes that I'm talking about. Without a denominator, hand-picked examples on top are worthless.

That doesn't tally with the number of games in which he's had almost no touches inside opposition boxes or the number of games in which he's literally not had a shooting opportunity.

A single example of a Kane miscontrol is utterly meaningless. A run-through striker needs to be receiving those kinds of passes multiple times a game every single game if they want to dominate.

And anyway, none of that has anything to do with the sheer number of missed opportunities for forward passes that I'm talking about. Without a denominator, hand-picked examples on top are worthless.
Kane's non pen shot conversion rate is 6%

His goals under xG is -3

He's among the least clinical strikers in the league

He's not doing good enough.

Full stop.

Watching the game Chavs v pool and the pace and intensity they play with compared to our pedestrian often sloppy style is like chalk and cheese.
No offence but did you even watch the Spurs v Liverpool game? Based on play / chances we fully deserved the win because we played with pace and intensity. We do the same against the Chavs we are sorted.

We’d be playing 343 only if our wingbacks actually understood or knew how to execute the role, we have Aaron Wan Bissaka 2.0 as a wingback, and a downgrade on Danny Rose on the left. nothing can actually come out of it. Seeing that they’re both more defensively oriented, we play 523 with a midfield 2 that are DM’s so maybe we play 7-0- 3. Considering the players we have, I think Conte should have adapted to a 4 man defensive line up and allowed the team flourish at least till he got those he felt would deliver to him. I thought we had the players for 343, but we actually don’t.

I also don’t trust Ndombele tbh, I like him, he is the most skillful, technical and entertaining footballer in the team, you just need a DM who would consistently cover for him, that shouldn’t be too hard to ask, and if we had done that, eventually his game would grow and he would become more responsible. His style of play is largely dependent on confidence, he is a very risky footballer, but those are the genius type ballers, see Veratti, if I coached him, I’d have shot him literally. But they thrive on confidence, making them disinterested wouldn’t help.
PEH has offered nothing for half the time since this season began, but he gets the nod, same with Son. Only person who is at risk is Reggie, I mean he doesn’t cut Reggie a slack, he can do same with others I think.
If I were a midfielder and I watched PEH play the way he’s been playing, I’d low key be offended that I don’t get a look in, my confidence would slowly die, I really would like to see Ali/Bergwijn play off Kane instead of Son
I’m gonna foul you as a Woolwich troll. I’m sorry if I’m wrong but when I look at your post history I can’t see that you are one of us.

I understand your optimism, but if we do the same things and expect a different result, we’d be making mistakes we can’t afford, if Moura has a better end product, I’d rather play Moura as RWB, Traore would pretty much be the guy who runs the wing back effortlessly without doing anything absolutely with it, I haven’t paid attention to his defensive abilities, so that would be a sacrifice I’m not sure we can make, if he is replacing say Doherty, I wouldn’t mind honestly, but we can’t have a dead right wing. And a dead left wing when that’s what it looks like Conte wants to build his team on.
I’m gonna foul you as a Woolwich troll. I’m sorry if I’m wrong but when I look at your post history I can’t see that you are one of us.
I don’t have a problem with that,
I don’t watch football for the scores, I would enjoy a 4-3 win over a dire 1-0 win. It’s an entertainment sport that has absolutely lost its taste.
I am fine with Conte like I said before now, he isn’t the coach I’d want, but he is what we need at this phase.

Back
Top Bottom