Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seen MoTD highlights

Ian Wright: "they should have just given the ball to Emerson every time..."

Wouldn't be the first shit-take from a pundit though would it?

Look; I'm not suggesting for a moment his crossing was good (for context; I'm not a massive Trippier fan).... I just think the reality is being over-played.

FFS we're not talking about a 17 yr old rookie from the yoof.

We're not talking the Matt Doherty end of the scale either.

I've no doubt that Conte will either drill into his skull what to do or he's out, so not pressing the pancake button just yet.

Fair play...... That's really not very far from where my head is it on it all.

In the meantime I think Doherty needs to go, so natural selection would hopefully bring someone in to complete with him anyway and if he ends up as #2 in stead so be it.

But really, lamentable in possession, every fuccking time

I think he suffers a lot from indecision..... Always seems slow to make his mind up as to what he should do with the ball..... This is could simply be an initial struggle to adapt the pace of the league and/or Conte's tactics and I'm perfectly calm that we'll find out for sure in due course.

....In the meantime; a new RWB is not a priority for me like it is for some. We desperately need a CM to be a full-time partner for Skipp who can bring a reliable blend of workrate and quality to the table.

(+ Given the complaints about Emerson; the prevailing desire for Traore to replace him is a mindblowing contradiction to me.)

Wouldn't be the first shit-take from a pundit though would it?

Look; I'm not suggesting for a moment his crossing was good (for context; I'm not a massive Trippier fan).... I just think the reality is being over-played.

We're not talking the Matt Doherty end of the scale either.

Fair play...... That's really not very far from where my head is it on it all.

In the meantime I think Doherty needs to go, so natural selection would hopefully bring someone in to complete with him anyway and if he ends up as #2 in stead so be it.

I think he suffers a lot from indecision..... Always seems slow to make his mind up as to what he should do with the ball..... This is could simply be an initial struggle to adapt the pace of the league and/or Conte's tactics and I'm perfectly calm that we'll find out for sure in due course.

....In the meantime; a new RWB is not a priority for me like it is for some. We desperately need a CM to be a full-time partner for Skipp who can bring a reliable blend of workrate and quality to the table.

(+ Given the complaints about Emerson; the prevailing desire for Traore to replace him is a mindblowing contradiction to me.)
Yes, much the same as you. Midfield is the key. In the meantime we have some young WB's who really should have the wherewithal to play any system Conte throws at them. My frustration is with players who seem to play with no common sense. God knows how many crosses, a lot hit the first defender Eriksen corner-style. The next day? Brighton up at EFC, the first cross is a first time ball and hey presto a goal.

And yes I agree that just because an ex-striker on MoTD opines, it's worth listening to (and it wasn't even Shearer, groan). But on that one Wright was spot on.

Onwards and upwards. Let's see what happens next time it's a park the bus oppo giving the wing backs space and time.

Yes, much the same as you. Midfield is the key. In the meantime we have some young WB's who really should have the wherewithal to play any system Conte throws at them. My frustration is with players who seem to play with no common sense. God knows how many crosses, a lot hit the first defender Eriksen corner-style. The next day? Brighton up at EFC, the first cross is a first time ball and hey presto a goal.

And yes I agree that just because an ex-striker on MoTD opines, it's worth listening to (and it wasn't even Shearer, groan). But on that one Wright was spot on.

Onwards and upwards. Let's see what happens next time it's a park the bus oppo giving the wing backs space and time.

Yeh, Chavs x 3 & Arse in the coming weeks poses a different challenge.

I actually think this is more relevant / important than many realise. Yes Emerson's crossing was terrible yesterday, and Adama's normally is too. However, Emerson was usually crossing from poor positions because he was either unwilling or incapable of beating his man. Adama would simply have smashed his way past that man to the byline, and hopefully smashed a random ball across a dangerous area. So whilst they are both poor at passing / crossing generally, Adama's ability to easily get into a better position would (for me at least) have made him more likely to create a goal.

Before anyone says it, I know Adama has no assists this season - it's not as though Emerson looked like a world class deliverer of the ball yesterday either, but at least at Spurs Adama would have lots of better targets to aim for. In any case, for me it's not games like yesterday's where Adama would be the greatest asset - it would be games where we are under lots of pressure. His ability to get you 30 yards up the pitch when you're under pressure would be godsend against some of the better sides..
Don't let him go to Wham..!

Traore has the same end product as Davies, Reg, Doherty, Tanganga, Royal and Seggs.

Fuck all.

Pretty good defenders but offer nothing going forward.
Traore offers a huge amount going forward. He's not a finisher, granted but AC will certainly have him crossing much better in a short time. We have no one who takes on the oppo like him.

Watching wolves play and their style which obviously with better forwards would be win a lot more games I don’t really see them play with what you would call traditional holding CMs. Moutinhio and neves are more technical and passers than your typical cloggers.
Wonder what their team would be like with son Kane and Lucas up top. May skipp in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom