WBA (H) JAN 14th - 1230 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No issues of us not turning up for this just as we were last year. Probably one of the best first 45mins we had played, hit the woodwork 3 time ffs. Should have gone in at halftime 5-0 up and that is no exaggeration. The error of our ways was with hindsight we blew our selves out in the first half.

I sense a maturity in out team this year.

I know people are saying perhaps WBA at home is trickier than Man City away, but let's be honest, if we're gonna pick up points, we have to look at the winnable games between now and the end of Feb... and (apart from Man City and Liverpool away) ALL are distinctly winnable, although some (like Stoke) are equally as 'orrible!

To give ourselves a cushion going into games like that... we now have to win games like these!

Last year West Brom took 4 points off us and were unbeaten against us... they were an awful team to play against.
THAT STAT HAS TO CHANGE... WE HAVE SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESS WITH THEM! :deledoubt:

...steady there Rocky Balboa... nothing silly this time, we need you for City away! :allitongue:

Like the Chelsea game last week, I'd like to think we have matured, and can show some restraint and not do anything daft, whilst not letting that get in the way of showing our ability when needed!

I wouldn't go with 3 at the back for this game, no need for it really

Agreed

.....................................................Lloris

Walker.......................Toby...............................Jan........................Rose

................................Dier.........................Wanyama

..........................Dembele.................Alli............Eriksen

.................................................Kane

Last edited:
West Brom are a horrible team to play against, so anti football. Just out of interest, would the majority be satisfied with a 4th place finish this season to get into the champions league play offs, or would finishing 4th be disappointing? i personally would take 4th place and a good fa cup run as a decent season.

Agreed

Walker.......................Toby...............................Jan........................Rose

Dembele.................Alli............Eriksen

The beauty of that line up is that we can easily change it to 3 at the back if Poch wanted to, without changing any personnel on the pitch. The flexibility is there within the starting XI.

Personally, I really like the 3 at the back because of the extra width & freedom it gives Danny & Kyle. Stretching a Pulis team across the pitch could leave a little more space. We know now that he will try to clog up the midfield but pace & width on the flanks will give him a headache.

The press is the key. Don't give any of them time to play their hoofed passes over the top.

In short, I think we will beat this lot & im going for 3-1.

I'd play the 4-2-3-1 because West Brom aren't going to attack us enough to make it worth playing 3 CBs and Wanyama. Unless we played Dier, Vertonghen and Alderweireld at centre back with Dembele and Winks as the two in midfield. But a more attacking team than we've been playing to break them down ideally.

Agreed

Dembele.................Alli............Eriksen

I'd shift Dembele to midfield for Dier and put Son in attacking midfield. He'll have more space against West Brom and scores goals

I'd shift Dembele to midfield for Dier and put Son in attacking midfield. He'll have more space against West Brom and scores goals

I like Dembele further forward actually and wouldnt drop Wanyama after Chelsea. For me Dier in the middle first choice everytime, so for me its Son that makes way. Feel he could be too weak for this one, and a better option off the bench.

I dont think Son we will get much space and much rather have Dembeles strength holding off their defenders for Kane and Eriksen.

The line up is pretty much what we played last season, other than Dembele sitting where Lamela was, and Wanyama in his place.

Dembele played further forward when we beat them 3-0 away, and was instrumental.

Last edited:
West Brom are a horrible team to play against, so anti football. Just out of interest, would the majority be satisfied with a 4th place finish this season to get into the champions league play offs, or would finishing 4th be disappointing? i personally would take 4th place and a good fa cup run as a decent season.

4th would be disappointing, we can take the title with a bit of luck, I'm sure of that.
We go 2nd if we win at the weekend for 24hrs at least.

Ill second that there is little point going for three at the back home to WBA.

No point pushing the full backs into wing backs if the opponents play their wide players so deep that there is no space to run into, which is exactly what Villa did.

Was a good run out for CCV, but he was unnecessary. Once he swapped for GKN we looked much more dynamic.

So id stick with the old 4231 which picks itself imo. Son or Sissoko being the only debatable issue, sorry Dier.

The beauty is, it really doesn't matter what formation we start with, we can switch, change and adapt in game. We are becoming a very astute team. What's key is we are good in a 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-1-1, 4-4-1-1.

Same 11 as against Chelsea, they deserve it. I would like to see Sissoko play but who to drop? Maybe he will feature late in the game. We will need players that will drive at em with the ball, open them up. Normally I'd feel they would bully us, not now. Weve come a long way since last season and can deal with thier antics. Rested, on form, no reason not to win.

Personally, 4th would be disappointing for me. We're better than that now I think.

Personally, 4th would be disappointing for me. We're better than that now I think.

Id take it with some silverwear......not in the Wenger 4th is a trophy way, but an actual cup.

I wouldnt complain though with just 4th......just really want to finish above the teams I feel we are better than, and thats Chelsea, Liverpool, Scum, Utd and City.

So yes, anything but champions and I´ll be a bit annoyed

Sorry Gareth, but...

McAuley is the defensive weak link in that team. Will batter headers away all day, but is a bit slow and lumbering with a quick footed attacker. I think we should push either Dele or Son right up against him instead of Kane. Have Harry occupy Dawson and Evans and let the faster player go at McAuley.

Oh and have someone leave a bit on Yacob (I was going to post Yacult for some reason) and while they are at it, a nice "career-ender" on McClean.

Back
Top Bottom