We can be heroes (again) Ajax versus Tottenham Hotspur CL Semi Final Wed 8th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ah, there's the arrogance!

I'm a Leicester fan who posts here occasionally, and over the past 3 years I've often winced when other fans come onto this forum. As you seem like a decent chap and I like the dutch, here's a couple of hints if you want to stay.

1. Remember whose forum it is, and that nobody invited you onto it. Should you survive the initial onslaught you can find yourself having a perfectly friendly exchange with posters who are ripping your club apart in the post below. Which is entirely reasonable as it's their place to say whatever they like. You just have to let it go.

2. Don't assume this is like other forums. The members are extremely aggressive, and relish an argument (or cunt-off, as it's known). They particularly like someone new to argue with as for a brief period it gives them the chance to pause their arguments with each other. "I come in peace" won't get you very far, quite the reverse. They don't care if you come in peace, or in anger, or at all.

3. The general rule is that they all hate every other club, everyone who plays for every other club, and everyone who supports every other club. I think this comes from the rather surprising fact that every other big club in London hates them more than each other, and this has given them a "get the first punch in" mentality.

4. Knowing when to fuck off is very important. It's unlikely they will want to exchange pleasantries with other fans when they've just been beaten by West Ham, for example. At these times they really want to abuse each other as horribly as possible. I still remember Joe Clash giving me this advice on one occasion and have looked back on this several times and wondered at how polite he was, given that I've never known anyone who has managed to find so many unique ways to tell someone to fuck off.

5. Don't get involved in a feud. These guys are top-level feuders, who would make the McCoys and Hatfields look like amateurs.

However.....if you do manage to stay the course, I would say without hesitation that this is the best football forum out there. The majority of posters are bright, self-aware, and can be blindingly funny. Extreme views are welcomed, but intelligent ones are better received. I don't post on any other forums, and not much on here, but I read it frequently because it's engaging and never fails to make me laugh. Despite the aggression, and the jaw-droppingly awful things that are said at times, I've seem members of this forum help each other through some terribly times with enormous humanity and sensitivity. The one (I think) regular female member (the delightful Mrs Perryman) is treated with huge respect but never condescended to. And most of them know their football and are happy to engage once they trust that you're not here to take the piss or waste their time.

So, if you want to stick around and have a decent exchange of views, follow the advice above and that's what you'll get, eventually (!). But trust me, it's worth it.

I cried like a little bitch, my mrs had to hold me. All the bullies in my life have been Woolwich fans. Growing up in broad water farm as a mixed race man was shit.

I had to explain to her, Tottenham are a reflection of myself. Everybody told me I was shit, that I would never amount to anything. All the other black boys supported Woolwich on my estate even though we lived in Tottenham. And they ripped the shit out of me for years.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think my shitty little club that I love as much as my own mother, could make it to a CL final. I had to explain that this result was a fuck you to everyone who never believed in me, because I am spurs and spurs is me.

And if we can do this, then I can do anything, and that goes for my little boy too.

Norwich fan here in peace (obviously).

Fucking tremendous effort last night and can't even begin to understand how you guys are feeling right now, even after the season and celebrations we've just had.

A top club, top fans, now with the best football stadium in the world and a Champions League final to plan for. I'm allowed to be jealous right? I also love the fact you've done it off the back of two Norwich City-style transfer windows, which blows piss in the face of PSG and Man City who basically just want to buy it.

You lads have done it the right way. Good coaching, good technical players, but all backed up by fight and desire and that never-say-die attitude that shone through in minute 96. To see what it meant to Glenn Hoddle and then to hear him say "I'm glad I was here to see that" brought a tear to the eye..

So good luck boys. Enjoy Madrid and in doing so shove that "Allez allez allez" song right back up the media lovechild's arse and come home with the cup. COYY & OTBC

Hello Spurs fans. Sheffield United supporter here in peace. Very, very pleased for you. Thought you were gone at half time. How wrong was I!! Almost felt like a Spurs fan myself when the third one went in. Unbelievable night. Hope you win it. If I was a Londoner I would support Spurs! Proper club. Proper fans.

I sorta didn't want to post this, but fuck it, I'm going to anyway. 3 days before the City away match, my Dad got diagnosed with inoperable cancer. Understandably, I was distraught. I was in a very bad place. I was having some dark thoughts. Seeing as we've always bonded over football, we got together to watch it. I was thinking how awesome it would be if we went on to win this motherfucker. That night I realized that I don't have a Dad that's dying, I have a Dad who is very much alive. We bounced around the living room and we won in the last few minutes of a classic. One of my fondest memories, even though it was only a month ago. I decided I was gonna get to him for every big match so we could watch it and enjoy it together. At this point, he decided he was gonna postpone his chemotherapy until after a family trip to Menorca was over at the end of May. Obviously the home leg against Ajax didn't go as planned, which was a bit of a downer, but it wasn't the worst case scenario. Our get together today was still on. And holy shit, what a day it was. At half time, I was your typical melt, as you'd understand. My missus had the text messages to prove it. I was so depressed it was unbelievable. I'd hoped to have this glorious last football run with my Dad, and we'd fucked it. I decided to roll some spliffs. I'd given up and was watching the beginning of the second half on a stream on my phone in the garden, which wasn't the best and I was 2 minutes behind. Then I saw him run up to the window holdings up a single finger. Fuck yeah! Then he ran up holding up 2 fingers. What the fuck? I abandoned my smokes and ran inside. For the rest of the game, we were on the edge of our seats. We had all but given up and then.... A FUCKING LAST MINUTE WINNER! We both jumped up and sprinted around the entire downstairs area while Mum frantically tried to keep control. She failed miserably. Spurs gave me such a moment tonight and the date Dad put his chemotherapy off until? The day after we get home from holiday, which is the day of the Champions League Final. Come on Spurs, do it for me and the old man! I'm gonna do whatever it takes to get tickets to that motherfucker so we can stay in the Spanish region and witness it for ourselves in person. As unlikely as it may be, wish me luck people. It'd be priceless. :)

Hi all!

AjaxStorm/StormAjax here (got banned).

Many congratulations on progressing to the final. In the end you guys deserved it, because Ajax refused to play football for over 100 minutes in 2 games while you gave it your all. In the end it was just too much.

I am totally heartbroken. Being so close to the finals, what would have been the greatest story in Dutch football ever. Smashed brutally at the very end.

I know you don't care a damn shit (why should you), but I want you to know that I was not a troll. I am Dutch, live close to Amsterdam and have been an Ajax supporter all of my life. I genuinely wanted to talk with you about this game, the biggest game for most of us ever, but this is no ordinary football forum as I quickly found out. I didn't know how to react on here, since you are all so fucking weird (in a good way, I guess).

I want you all to enjoy the next few weeks, living towards the final against Liverpool and make sure you'll never forget this.

Good luck and know that I am backing you to win this Champions League (but again, don't give a fuck about me).

See ya , cunts!:tobyarm:
I won't be back here.

City fan here.

Absolutely hats off to you last night for that comeback in a bubbling cauldron of a stadium. Football as it should be. Well-earned and well-deserved. Best of luck in the final. I know I'm right in saying that the vast majority of City fans want you to win it. Just hope we can clean up our own business first.

In the build-up, be prepared to be relegated to second-class citizenship status, however. You won't get a fair hearing from the media because you're up against their love-child. We've known what that's felt like all year, so for the sake of your own sanity you should try to cut yourselves off from the hype (I know it's easier said than done).

You have a much better chance than most people will give you.

"Gutted" is what you English lads say to describe thet way I feel today. Absolutely gutted. There really is no word in the Duch language to better describe the way I am feeling right now.

However, on my way home I spoke to some Spurs fans at Schiphol and congratulated them on their win. Seems like the right thing to do and I come back here to do the same to you lot. Congratulations on your win. Now go all the way. Become European pedigree like my team did four times in the past. I would be a tosser if I would say I am now a Spurs fan but if Ajax can't win it, at least let it be a proper club and if Ajax can't win it at least let products of our academy do it. Do it for Jan, Toby and Christian.

My final part of my route home comes across some football fields. Youth was training there and I saw the fun and excitement in their eyes and it made me smile. This is what the beautiful game is about. Joy. but like fate, Football can be a cruel mistress.

Wish you guys the best June 1st. A final message from our social media team:

See you guys soon in Europe.

Last edited:
D6E2v_0XoAAuUEo.jpg:large

Nearly home after an insane but beautiful 24 hours. I’ve taken train, tube, train, plane, train, coach, bus, tube and one final train. Haven’t slept since I got up yesterday at 5am but I feel fine. It’s amazing what this stuff can do to you.

I could write oodles about last night but I don’t really know where to start. The main thing is that what happened at the end, the sight of the ball sliding into the net, me and others collapsing and tumbling over seats and on top of each other, the non stop celebrations, the coaching staff and players coming out to us twice - and they wanted to - all of this will, I hope, stay with me for the rest of my life.

Tottenham ‘till I die - and frankly, there was a moment where, with me tumbling down concrete with four people on top of me, I thought it might be there.

Wouldn’t have minded.

Side points:
1. Llorente was incredible when he came on.
2. Ajax are NOT our friends. Seeing their 90 minute carnival of celebration suddenly collapse was simply beautiful.
3. I hope a few miserable negative cunts on here and in our support in general feel some humility around the negativity that’s been in display over the past few weeks. Our squad has had a fucking tough season with a lot of uncertainty. What we’ve dug out - Top 4 and a CL Final - is miraculous and incredible, and testament to their unity and character.
4. Our core support yesterday was superb, as it was at Bournemouth, as it always is.

Ipswich fan and long time lurker in these parts due to my uncle trying as hard as he might to get me to support Spurs by taking me to games at the old WHL from way back to the early 90's until his passing a few years ago. Found even myself shedding a bit of a tear tonight, what a performance from you boys and like the rest of the country (bar the nomads, pikeys & racists) hope you hand those cunts a fuckin good hiding in a few weeks time. TDITD.

I went to the toilet at the final whistle (just to let out a bit of emotion...) and as I came out another (male) Spurs fan grabbed me and kissed me.

Right on the lips.

Another man kissed me full on the lips.

And I didn't even mind.

In fact I nearly slipped him some tongue.

Back
Top Bottom