We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR couldn't call for a review ... the decision was correct by the rules ... just why can't you get that?

Stop whinging and suck it up, UEFA rules say (as next season do the EPL's) that if the ball strikes the arm away from the body in the penalty area then it's a penalty ... no question of intent, arm movement, no time to avoid ... if it hits the arm away from the body it's a penalty

We may not agree but that's the feckin' rule ... stop behaving like a scouser and let it go ....

No, the rule is clearly intended to stop shots and crosses being blocked by unnatural movements. It's not intended to penalize every single handball, a deflection or ricochet can go anywhere, and common sense should rule out any case for a penalty. Would you give a penalty if the ball hits the cross bar then rebounds and hits a player who put his hand up in the air to appeal offside? Of course not. Like any rule, it needs to be enforced with some common fucking sense.

I feel sick.

Dodgy pen call after literally 21 seconds from kickoff. Mane isn't even looking to pass it to a teammate, he's got his eyes on striking Sissoko in the arm and appeals for a penalty straight away. Sneaky shit

Go and support Man Citeh if all you care about is winning trophies. You really need to appreciate what this team and manager has gone through this year and we still managed top 4, securing CL qualification and making a CL Final. You can rail against the modern game as much as you like, but this is the reality of football today - without CL, you're buggered.
You're a sensible poster Mrs P, something lacking on here for a few months.

The problem is, football IS about winning trophies, and unfortunately we put ourselves into positions to win, then for some reason, we don't do it.

Yes the journey from the Andy Sinton and Ruel Fox days has been great, but ultimately a team gets judged on winning stuff. Why enter the EPL or CL next season if we have no intention of winning them?

Tonight was the chance to fill a massive hole in our trophy cabinet, something even Bill Nicholson desperately craved. Our opponents were really poor, three of their players contributed absolutely nothing and yet they walk away with the trophy.

When will we get that chance again? Next season, I'd love to hope so, but even then, what in our recent history gives the confidence that we will suddenly find the formulae to win?

The team desperately need a win, just to get the wagon rolling. At this minute, there is still a mental block that is still crushing us.

Two comments from me late night

1. pochettino - did you do anything to influence that game

2. liverpool supporters booing tottenham when we have possession - wtf -are you eastern europe in britain ?

It was a pen and even if it wasn't, we still had 89 mins to equalise, not only did we fail to do that, we also conceded a second goal.

All this bollocks about how we dominated possession and didn't deserve to lose is just that, bollocks.

Possession doesn't win football games, a mixture of good fortune and tactical astuteness along with desire and skill wins football games.

Liverpool played shit tonight but they won, they got very fortunate with the penalty but it was our lack of good fortune, desire and ability that stopped us winning tonight, at the end of the day, when you play a final, all that matters is finding a way to win, we didn't find a way to win, Liverpool did, end of.
So sad but maybe true - really hurts big time - the Mighty Spurs will win it 2020
Yids

No, the rule is clearly intended to stop shots and crosses being blocked by unnatural movements. It's not intended to penalize every single handball, a deflection or ricochet can go anywhere, and common sense should rule out any case for a penalty. Would you give a penalty if the ball hits the cross bar then rebounds and hits a player who put his hand up in the air to appeal offside? Of course not. Like any rule, it needs to be enforced with some common fucking sense.

Missing the entire point ...

The RULE is crystal clear, there is no room for interpretation, it's why 99% of referees, pundits, commentators have come out and said last night's decision was a correct one, even though it was a stupid decision, under the rules it was correct ...

Your example is a good one - the ball hits the cross bar then rebounds and hits a player who put his hand up in the air to appeal offside - that's 100% a penalty under the current rules. "Deliberate" was taken out of the equation in the last set of rule changes ... it might be crazy but them's the rules.

The RULE is crystal clear, there is no room for interpretation, it's why 99% of referees, pundits, commentators have come out and said last night's decision was a correct one, even though it was a stupid decision, under the rules it was correct ...

Your example is a good one - the ball hits the cross bar then rebounds and hits a player who put his hand up in the air to appeal offside - that's 100% a penalty under the current rules. "Deliberate" was taken out of the equation in the last set of rule changes ... it might be crazy but them's the rules.

You're being blinded by the Scouser media wank off, have a look from a neutral perspective:

The problem is, football IS about winning trophies, and unfortunately we put ourselves into positions to win, then for some reason, we don't do it.

How many teams can win the EPL - only one, does that mean the other 91 are all failures?

How many teams can win the CL - only one, does that mean the other 570 are all failures?

The very fact that we put ourselves in a position to win puts us ahead of 88 professional English clubs and 568 professional European clubs ...

and you think that's failing? get some perspective .....

The rules also say the hand has to move towards the ball in an obstructional manner. In this instance Mane clearly lobbed the ball towards Sissoko's arm, he didn't even aim his shot towards goal, or a teammate, he aimed his dirty lob into Sissoko's arm which was in fact the opposite direction of the goal. He may have 'legally' won a penalty, but the manner in which he did so, 25 seconds after kickoff makes me sick. And ruined the night for almost everyone.

So then, the postmortem’s begin........
Firstly well done to this club for actually getting to a CL final, if someone had told me that 5, 10, 20, years ago I’d have burst out laughing.

However it has come and gone with little or no fuss in the end, the team that played shite got beat by the team that played even more shite, as happens in finals, and unfortunately them lot won!!

Should we have even been in the final? Souness didn’t think so and a lot would agree, hard to argue, but we were in it so fuck him and anyone who thinks other wise too, you get what you deserve as they say!!

So disappointed for many reasons, as would be expected after a any defeat, but what makes it more disappointing is the manor in which we decided to go about our business tonight, very little intensity, it’s as if we somehow thought there was a second leg, sorry lads one game, one chance......
And I hate to say it but that one chance will never ever come your way again, well at least 99% of you, one or two might sign for a serial winner at some point in the future, but as for me and most fans my age that chance has definitely gone, and I will probably never witness a CL final again😌

It would be so easy to start ripping into players, and even Poch, but I’m going to leave that to the clowns over at AFTV, no player tonight really deserves being called out to be fair, and Poch done what he thought was right, we would all love the gift of hindsight, right?

We go again in August, first full season at the New digs, and a manager who will obviously stay now, if I’m reading his quotes correctly.....
But investment needs to be made to the squad and weak links need replacing or it will be more highs, followed by the most horrendous lows, like tonight!!

Safe trips home one and all......COYS!!
More cool headed than I could ever be, but yes...every word.

You're a sensible poster Mrs P, something lacking on here for a few months.

Yes the journey from the Andy Sinton and Ruel Fox days has been great, but ultimately a team gets judged on winning stuff. Why enter the EPL or CL next season if we have no intention of winning them?

Tonight was the chance to fill a massive hole in our trophy cabinet, something even Bill Nicholson desperately craved. Our opponents were really poor, three of their players contributed absolutely nothing and yet they walk away with the trophy.

When will we get that chance again? Next season, I'd love to hope so, but even then, what in our recent history gives the confidence that we will suddenly find the formulae to win?

The team desperately need a win, just to get the wagon rolling. At this minute, there is still a mental block that is still crushing us.
I hope my brain is not addled with fatigue and what I'm going to post makes sense.
Yes of course, I want us to win trophies and tonight was the best chance to capture the biggest prize in club football. However, if you have been watching the game as long as me, you know that it doesn't always play out the way we want it to.
I do believe we have had so many obstacles this year, that's it's a minor miracle that we have achieved as much as we have. I don't know why the team/management can't get over the final step that stops us winning a trophy, and like you, I'm hoping that if only we could break our duck, it may lead to a snowball effect.
But you have to be naive to think that we have the pulling power/money of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool or even Chelsea at the moment. Another few decent runs in the CL will bridge the gap to a certain extent, and the income the new stadium will generate will also help. We are punching above our weight and have done so for the last three seasons.
I'm sure there's more milling around my head but can't think straight any more.
Suffice to say, I love this team and I love our manager, trophies or no trophies!

Back
Top Bottom