We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, so harsh on Lucas, but I would agree. You have to put out what you think your strongest team is and,Sonny would get my vote over Lucas on that criteria.

If the final were a week after the semi then yes Lucas starts....but so much in terms of form and momentum changes over 3 and half weeks

If Winks is fit you have to fit him, Eriksen, Dele, Sissoko, Son, Lucas and Harry into 6 berths. Who gives if Lucas plays?
I love Winksy more than anyone, but to suggest he'll be more ready to start than Lucas after 6 weeks out and surgery is a bit much. Let alone against Liverpool. Let alone in a CL final.

-------------Sissoko---Eriksen---------------
Lucas-------------Dele-------------------Son

Eriksen hasn't been influential for ages so slotting him back may see a change in fortunes.

I love Winksy more than anyone, but to suggest he'll be more ready to start than Lucas after 6 weeks out and surgery is a bit much. Let alone against Liverpool. Let alone in a CL final.

Eriksen hasn't been influential for ages so slotting him back may see a change in fortunes.
that's too attacking I think against a midfield 3.

AVB also got dealt a poor hand. Baldini went out and signed players that AVB did not want. He had a list of targets and didn't get any of them. He actually was offered the job with PSG; but chose to stay with Spurs.

Remember he led the club to a record Premier League points tally of 72 in his first season. He then had to go into the next season with the loss of Bale, replaced with Nacer Chadli. He was also instructed not to play Adebeyor (who was in good form; but the club wanted him gone).

He wanted Baldini so a lot of that is moot.

Carried by Bale.
Shit football.
Terrible with the press/fans.

Nice laptop tho....

I've always liked AVB. Don't think he was far off from being a success at Spurs honestly...always said biggest difference between him and Poch is man-management. Poch was able to get the squad to buy-in and AVB wasn't...not big differences otherwise. Poch also benefitted from AVB beginning to transition the squad to modern football, plus after the Arry-Sherwood-AVB fiasco the remaining tits in the squad saw the writing on the wall. It was Poch's squad, the carousel was spinning no further, shape up or ship out.

Anyway, worked out for us...AVB seems content as well. Life marches on.

My biggest take away:

The most boring time i ever spent on our terraces.....

" Modern football" or not, gimme Harry's team any day.

If that were the only available personnel I would be tempted to switch Dele and Chris as the lesser of 2 evils. Eriksen just doesn't offer enough bite back there for me. I suppose in reality it all depends on the formation that Poch wants to play, and whether that effects the personnel or whether availability effects formation.

We have played Liverpool twice this season and lost both matches. Kane played in both without scoring. If he had warm up matches and was playing then no decision but to win this match Poch has to come up with a better plan than last time. From memory Kane was marked out of the game. Liverpool will press us early on and we need to survive. We are stronger in the second half. Many will disagree but maybe we should start pack the midfield and with Son and Moura and bring Kane on early second half when he can go all out for 45 mins rather than need to pace himself.

My biggest take away:

The most boring time i ever spent on our terraces.....

" Modern football" or not, gimme Harry's team any day.
Well that's not really fair, is it? The "boring" side of AVB mostly relates to the latter days after the Bale sale and big squad makeover. His time was never as exhilarating as Harry's, but he was driving a car that'd been stripped for parts wasn't he? The summer he arrived we sold/lost 8 important contributors (including Modric and VDV whilst Ledley retired) from Harry's squad and bought 8, half of which have proven less useful than anticipated. The following summer we sold/released a further 6 (plus cut bait with Dempsey, a purchase from the previous summer) including the big one in Bale, and signed 7 - again, mostly failed signings.

Even then, with only Bale remaining of the best of Harry's squads he carried us to a record points total that would and should have us in the CL. I really believe Chelsea's win was what cost him his job...we wouldn't have sacked him mid-season the next year if we were in the CL.

Anyway, by the time he was sacked the only player featuring regularly that had played a prominent role in Harry's teams was Kaboul (who was a square peg under AVB). In 18 months, the entire squad was stripped apart and rebuilt - as widely confirmed, with players not of AVB's choosing - and he's judged harshly for not producing the excitement of the Redknapp era. Well, he really wasn't given a chance, was he?

It's as if you hired me to build a race car. And the moment I'd tightened all the bolts on the engine and before anything was tuned, you hopped in and sputtered around the track, returned and told me it ran like shit and you were hiring another mechanic.

As I said, things turned out good for everyone. But AVB didn't exactly get a fair shake at Spurs, for which he was partly but not mostly to blame.

I suppose the way I'm coming at it from is would Lucas have played in the semi if Kane (and Winks) had been fit?
For what it's worth, I think Lucas starts in preference to Winks. We'll need goals, so the more goalscorers we have on the pitch the better. To dare is to do. Mourhino is not our manager, so we're not about packing the midfield/defence and hoping for a breakaway goal. We are Tottenham, mighty Tottenham.

We have played Liverpool twice this season and lost both matches. Kane played in both without scoring. If he had warm up matches and was playing then no decision but to win this match Poch has to come up with a better plan than last time. From memory Kane was marked out of the game. Liverpool will press us early on and we need to survive. We are stronger in the second half. Many will disagree but maybe we should start pack the midfield and with Son and Moura and bring Kane on early second half when he can go all out for 45 mins rather than need to pace himself.
I have to disagree with you. Yes, Liverpool will press us, but the best form of defence is attack. I predict a high tempo, end-to-end first 45 minutes, where we'll need to score twice. The only way we'll do that is with Kane starting, even if all he does is tie up two or three of their players. His presence could open up spaces in their defence.

Back
Top Bottom