We need a DOF pronto

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get there is a lack of investment. But we need a DOF to help with the rebuild. We simply dont identify, recruit and offload players quick enough.

I dont see how Poch can train and prepare a team and look after signings too. I get there is a comittee, but there needs to be another Arnesen / Baldini figure at the club. We just seem to be unprepared every summer.

Even if Poch leaves, we need to bring in and sell about 12 players over the next 12 months.

I get there is a lack of investment. But we need a DOF to help with the rebuild. We simply dont identify, recruit and offload players quick enough.

I dont see how Poch can train and prepare a team and look after signings too. I get there is a comittee, but there needs to be another Arnesen / Baldini figure at the club. We just seem to be unprepared every summer.

Even if Poch leaves, we need to bring in and sell about 12 players over the next 12 months.
Someone along the lines of Ralph Ragnick would be good. A good and experienced sporting director but who also has experience as a manager. So he knows both sides of the coin so to speak.

The guy at Norwich is also very interesting.

Can you imagine a DOF under Levy???
DOF - I found this great new talent, but he's a bit expensive (£20M). What do you think boss?
Levy - Make an offer of £2M, + £5M obligatory if we qualify in Europe and £3M if our average attendance is more than 40,000 and we sell more than 1000 tons of beer. Oh, I forgot, all this should be spread for around 10 years.
DOF - ...

We certainly need one. Not only because of transfers, there's also the youth setup, scouting, etc. All that needs a better structure and planning. It seems to me that our youth is getting worse and worse (hope I am wrong there). Maybe a change of tactics too. There has to be a style of play from the kids upwards. It's how all the red bull cunt teams do it. If there is a change of their coach nothing happens, they just look for one with the same idea of how to play and it's fine. Same if they sell a player, they seem to never get worse. We need to have something like that. And we definitely have to start selling players as soon as they want to leave. Every player can be replaced.

We need a DoF. He will find it difficult to work with Levy's restrictions but if he clever he will adapt

Not just to help identify and recruit players but also to quickly find ways out for the players we no longer want or who want to leave. Currently we are shockingly bad at both

As soon as we get a DOF we’ll be moaning about how the manager doesn’t want any of the signings and we should get rid of them.

Knee jerk solution that won’t change anything

If Levy refuses to buy or sell unless he gets deal of the century we’ll still miss targets and keep hold of dead wood

We need a DoF. He will find it difficult to work with Levy's restrictions but if he clever he will adapt

Not just to help identify and recruit players but also to quickly find ways out for the players we no longer want or who want to leave. Currently we are shockingly bad at both

We are like a club with chronic constipation and rotten feces we cant expel. No wonder we look ill.

It's already clear from comments on the summer that Poch doesn't deal with transfers anyway, and a DoF would still have Levy to answer to. Levy would still have to authorise any spending, you're just introducing a middle man to make everything even more drawn out (if that's humanly possible).

Absolute waste of time, and amazing how short people's memories are. How many times in the last 15 years or so have our failings been pinned on whoever the DoF is? And now we want to go back to that :levylol:

If you look at Poch's first team choices over the last year or two its striking that the majority of players were at Spurs before he arrived - despite Poch being here for 5 years.

If you also look at the players who have been bought over the last 2 or 3 years, which is after Poch changed title to manager and intimated that he was now more in charge of transfers, its apparent that many of the players brought in (like Aurier where Pereyra was available for the same price - so we chose the wriong right back) were not good buys. Poch has a history of poor buys - at Southampton he bought Osvaldo (who he had also managed at Espanyol) and the club had to fire the player with a cost in wages and no transfer fee so costing circa £20m after a 'training ground incident'.

So the sooner that some sort of DoF is in place (and remember Levy liked DoF's but Poch did not) the better.

Reality is no manager has the time to look for new players, and all the other things - so whilst Levy has indulged Poch for a few years, its time to change.

The likes of Klopp has much less say over incomings and it hasn't harmed either the club or manager.

No reason not to allow Poch or any manager a say in players - but he shouldn't be the main man.

Can you imagine a DOF under Levy???
DOF - I found this great new talent, but he's a bit expensive (£20M). What do you think boss?
Levy - Make an offer of £2M, + £5M obligatory if we qualify in Europe and £3M if our average attendance is more than 40,000 and we sell more than 1000 tons of beer. Oh, I forgot, all this should be spread for around 10 years.
DOF - ...

We were better off with francesco baldini than we are now

Pleat: Hold my beer
FgvkH8.gif

Didn't we have one at the time Bale was sold and he wasted the money?! Capou, Stambouli and Co.
Any wise club would have spent half of Bale's money and see the progress then spent the other half in next january and summer TWs.

The problem is our owners, not Levy, Levy is doing his job trying to save money, that's the issue.

It's not a personal thing on Levys part, I would actually say he has done quite well given his restrictions, the problem is the owners but obviously we can't keep Levy if the owners go so imo, both have to leave.

Basically, we need new owners imo.

Basically, we need new owners imo.
Won't happen.

We have a very good manager but circumstances, achievements without trophy and money has changed him. He has become too big headed and behaving like a demanding wife thinking she is so good and will get what she wants or divorce and go elsewhere.

Won't happen.

We have a very good manager but circumstances, achievements without trophy and money has changed him. He has become too big headed and behaving like a demanding wife thinking she is so good and will get what she wants or divorce and go elsewhere.

Well as long as things stay the same, nothing will ever change, a new manager will probably give the club a lift, we might even win a trophy but over the long term things will not change, we will always end up back in this same situation with these owners.

Well as long as things stay the same, nothing will ever change, a new manager will probably give the club a lift, we might even win a trophy but over the long term things will not change, we will always end up back in this same situation with these owners.
It will take long time to get it right again, we had the chance to win a trophy or two in the last 3 seasons but the manager didn't have the know how and the team didn't have experience or winners.
Levy won't suddenly spend like Mancity, united or chelsea.
The current situation doesn't seem healthy and can't see quick fixes. It will be disastrous, going backward and irreparable in the short term if we miss CL place next season. The new stadium will be a ghost house.

constantly in the top 4, reaching the champions league final and consistently breaking the clubs transfer record?

dont see whats so bad about that. keep doing that and you will win a couple of things by accident

Didn't we have one at the time Bale was sold and he wasted the money?! Capou, Stambouli and Co.
Any wise club would have spent half of Bale's money and see the progress then spent the other half in next january and summer TWs.
I think that was like the first window in a long time where Levy was not involved at all with transfers. His wife was very sick or something like that so he took the entire summer off and the sporting director at the time had free reign with the Bale money.

Or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom