We need a DOF pronto

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that was like the first window in a long time where Levy was not involved at all with transfers. His wife was very sick or something like that so he took the entire summer off and the sporting director at the time had free reign with the Bale money.

Or something like that.
Is that the reason? Come on, we are talking about £85m being spent by one man and the owner is off sick!

It will take long time to get it right again, we had the chance to win a trophy or two in the last 3 seasons but the manager didn't have the know how and the team didn't have experience or winners.
Levy won't suddenly spend like Mancity, united or chelsea.
The current situation doesn't seem healthy and can't see quick fixes. It will be disastrous, going backward and irreparable in the short term if we miss CL place next season. The new stadium will be a ghost house.

Great post

Everything seems to be unraveling.

We have a chairman who is against spending big
A manager who doesn't know how to win trophies

And a scouting staff.... Wait... Do we even have a scouting staff?

Woolwich got a DOF from Dortmund and he promptly went out and bought a few players from Dortmund. Sokratis and Mikitarian ,only success is Aubameyang. You didn’t need to be clever to see he was a good player.
Monchi at Seville was supposedly the best in the world. Went to Roma , failed miserably and now back at Seville.
Steve Walsh at Leicester struck gold with Kante and Mahrez . Following season bought some rubbish...Slimani and Ihenacho failures. Everton snapped him up and he bought a load of number 10’s and has gone.
At times it is more luck than judgement. We bought Dier and Alli for next to nothing. You can’t do that season after season.
Pleat is probably as good a judge of a player as anyone.
No coincidence he recommended Maddison when he was at Coventry. 2-3m . We didn’t bother.

It will take long time to get it right again, we had the chance to win a trophy or two in the last 3 seasons but the manager didn't have the know how and the team didn't have experience or winners.
Levy won't suddenly spend like Mancity, united or chelsea.
The current situation doesn't seem healthy and can't see quick fixes. It will be disastrous, going backward and irreparable in the short term if we miss CL place next season. The new stadium will be a ghost house.
I am bored with people saying Levy won’t spend like City United and Chelsea. We cannot do that, if we did we would be going down the Leeds route.
Personally I would rather big CL games than winning the League Cup. It meant something once but not anymore. City have such a good squad that they can give it a good go.
We are now the only country with a League Cup. The year after next, the League Cup winners will go into the new European competition known as the European Conference. Basically a competition for all the smaller clubs plus the 8 places taken out of the Europa League. The prize is to qualify for the next season Europa League. Marvellous!
obviously does not apply to teams who qualify for CL or EL..
The time is fast approaching when the League Cup will not exist.

It’s the Redknapp era all over again, a manager living off a squad more talented than him and constantly mouthing off in the press. The same derision shown to the tournaments that represent our bees chance at success. And abandonment of the DoF model to placate that manager and a talented squad failing to capitalise on that talent with silverware.

I get there is a lack of investment. But we need a DOF to help with the rebuild. We simply dont identify, recruit and offload players quick enough.

I dont see how Poch can train and prepare a team and look after signings too. I get there is a comittee, but there needs to be another Arnesen / Baldini figure at the club. We just seem to be unprepared every summer.

Even if Poch leaves, we need to bring in and sell about 12 players over the next 12 months.
“I don’t see how Poch can train and prepare a team and look after signings” but doesn’t though according to him! He’s got nothing to do with ins and outs but I’m not sure that’s 100% true?

Although I’m not a fan of the DoF position in general Poch badly needs it.
He had a very highly regarded one in Paul Mitchell, who left because of frustrations with regard to getting players he had identified signed.

I agree it's an option that should be explored, but getting one that's actually any good and is willing to work under our conditions would be tough.

Great post

Everything seems to be unraveling.

We have a chairman who is against spending big
A manager who doesn't know how to win trophies

And a scouting staff.... Wait... Do we even have a scouting staff?
Yeah there’s an old boy wonders about the playing parks with his whipped watching the kiddies play football looking for talent...........well think that’s what he’s doing?

a DOF only really works if the club have a way/style of playing,(little Swansea used to have), then the club appoint managers that play that way, so that almost all the players will fit into a team that any manager the club appoint
but what normally happens is a club picks one style of manager when he is sacked they bring in a manager who plays different style, so they need to change many of the players

Been thinking about this the past few days, if we really want to ever win trophies we need better investment in the squad and a manager that can get the best from those players coming in and I don't just mean an arm around the shoulder, I mean tactically.

My fear is Harry Kane, I can see him leaving for trophies if we don't show we have ambition and he isn't the sort of player you can replace imo, I know many say "but we just can't compete with City or Liverpool" the thing is, we can, maybe not in terms of raw spending power but we can certainly compete in the transfer market, we just need to buy more suitable players that will actually improve us and have a better transfer strategy.

It's not about spending ridiculous sums of money, United are proof that it doesn't always work it's about identifying our weaknesses and improving them and when we come to buy a player, stop the last minute haggling, get them in and give them plenty of time to settle.

That's why I think a DOF will improve us, Levy needs to step away from transfers imo, give the DOF a budget to work within and then sign the players based on that.

We also need a better scouting system clearly, I think Levy has this pipedream in his mind that our "world class youth facilities" will mean that we build a team from mostly home grown talent, it is never going to happen, living in a land of delusion if he thinks that's possible, the whole reason scouting exists is simply because the talent at youth level in local areas doesn't exist.

We are like a club with chronic constipation and rotten feces we cant expel. No wonder we look ill.

iu

You sir, are talking my language!

Stick a pipe up the players arses (who we want rid of), pump in some water and ACV or Coffee, flush the pebbly fuckers out, before they cause worse than club wide IBS...

Woolwich got a DOF from Dortmund and he promptly went out and bought a few players from Dortmund. Sokratis and Mikitarian ,only success is Aubameyang. You didn’t need to be clever to see he was a good player.
Monchi at Seville was supposedly the best in the world. Went to Roma , failed miserably and now back at Seville.
Steve Walsh at Leicester struck gold with Kante and Mahrez . Following season bought some rubbish...Slimani and Ihenacho failures. Everton snapped him up and he bought a load of number 10’s and has gone.
At times it is more luck than judgement. We bought Dier and Alli for next to nothing. You can’t do that season after season.
No coincidence he recommended Maddison when he was at Coventry. 2-3m . We didn’t bother.

But, the middle path is having a DOF who is not the sole voice of player recruitment, but the guardian of discussions and dealings, an even voice amongst the group. Pleat would work for me to be honest (getting in a top, top scouting team to feed into the table).

But, the middle path is having a DOF who is not the sole voice of player recruitment, but the guardian of discussions and dealings, an even voice amongst the group. Pleat would work for me to be honest (getting in a top, top scouting team to feed into the table).

I think that was like the first window in a long time where Levy was not involved at all with transfers. His wife was very sick or something like that so he took the entire summer off and the sporting director at the time had free reign with the Bale money.

Or something like that.

Baldini was also partially brought in at AVB's request.

As many have pointed out... Didn't go too well did it.

Yet...

I want that bald goblin getting kicked out of our club

:pochrolleyes:

Let's face it; all the Levy out brigade really want is for us to spend more.

That the owner doesn't splash his cash about like a sovereign state; this doesn't make our chairman incompetent or tight.

Now a large part of the stadium project is taken care of, Levy will be less occupied by other matters. I think the more pressing matter is improving our scouting system. Since bringing through Mase, Bentaleb, Kane, Dele, Winks etc. and countless players getting international call-ups on Poch's watch, we never did become the go-to club for Europe's hot young prospects like I'd hoped we would.

That said, if a DOF can ensure a more holistic view between academy, scouting and senior team then I'd be interested much the same.

Baldini was also partially brought in at AVB's request.

As many have pointed out... Didn't go too well did it.

Yet...

:pochrolleyes:

Let's face it; all the Levy out brigade really want is for us to spend more.

That the owner doesn't splash his cash about like a sovereign state; this doesn't make our chairman incompetent or tight.

Now a large part of the stadium project is taken care of, Levy will be less occupied by other matters. I think the more pressing matter is improving our scouting system. Since bringing through Mase, Bentaleb, Kane, Dele, Winks etc. and countless players getting international call-ups on Poch's watch, we never did become the go-to club for Europe's hot young prospects like I'd hoped we would.

That said, if a DOF can ensure a more holistic view between academy, scouting and senior team then I'd be interested much the same.

You can see our new spending power in the summer with Ndombele and Lo Celso. Also the money was there for Dybala but the legal side let us down.

I really think we as fans just need to be a little more patient.

The debt has been restructured, and the money is now flowing in.

We need to give Levy and Poch 2 years to build another team.

You can see our new spending power in the summer with Ndombele and Lo Celso. Also the money was there for Dybala but the legal side let us down.

I really think we as fans just need to be a little more patient.

The debt has been restructured, and the money is now flowing in.

We need to give Levy and Poch 2 years to build another team.

If handled well this transition may not need to be as painful as feared....

Broke my view on this down in the Jan2020 trf thread, but 6 ins and outs (the outs being obvious) over the next 2 windows means that we could see a significantly rehabbed version of this squad this time next year.

I'm calm about the playing personnel side of things in itself; for me the current furor surrounding the manager's future is the more potentially disruptive factor.... A new manager acquainting themselves with the playing staff and carving the squad into his own image could take a lot longer.

Back
Top Bottom