We need a DOF pronto

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What does a director of football do?

Directors of football look after all football operations in clubs, says Les Reed, who, as head of football development, worked with Mauricio Pochettino and Mitchell at Southampton.

He told BBC Sport what the role encompasses:

"That can be recruitment, which takes up most of your time, contract negotiation, player development, the development of all teams from the academy through to the first-team squad, and being responsible for the manager.

"A technical director is slightly different in that you might manage all the support departments but might not be involved in transfers or contract negotiation."

Effectively, they are in place to consider the medium to longer term and maintain a playing philosophy, while the manager or head coach deals with day-to-day operations.

Begiristain told the BBC in September: "I have to work for the next two seasons. You have to understand who wants to move, who wants to stay and what the risk is of losing players.

"You always have to be working on new talent coming. Then you see the project, the philosophy, the way to work, a way to play."

Former Tottenham director of football and Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli has said it gives a "competitive advantage" to clubs because it allows more "objective" decisions to be made.

If handled well this transition may not need to be as painful as feared....

Broke my view on this down in the Jan2020 trf thread, but 6 ins and outs (the outs being obvious) over the next 2 windows means that we could see a significantly rehabbed version of this squad this time next year.

I'm calm about the playing personnel side of things in itself; for me the current furor surrounding the manager's future is the more potentially disruptive factor.... A new manager acquainting themselves with the playing staff and carving the squad into his own image could take a lot longer.

Yeah that was the number I said in original post. Dozen or so.

I would go all in for Bobic at Frankfurt it we want a good DOF. He's done a really good job with them in these last few years.

I would go all in for Bobic at Frankfurt it we want a good DOF. He's done a really good job with them in these last few years.

He has done an excellent job, but for a director of football, I would like to see their achievements over a longer period of time. He's only been there since 2016, and has done well on the transfers and loans side of things. Nothing tangible has happened when it comes to youth development, etc.

Back
Top Bottom