West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 1898-2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A1710_zpsdf0f02d1.jpg

West Ham United host Tottenham Hotspur at the Boleyn Ground (Upton Park) on Monday 25th February 2013 (KO 20:00) in the 27th round of Premier League matches of the 2012-13 season.

This will be the 241st meeting between the two clubs.

West Ham come into the game in 11th place in the table on 30 points with Spurs in 4th place on 48 points.

The first meeting came in the Thames and Medway League in September 1898 when West Ham were known as Thames Ironworks. That game at Northumberland Park resulted in a 3-0 home win for Spurs. Thames Ironworks won the return fixture 2-1 at the Memorial Grounds in East Ham.

The teams met again in the Southern League the next season with Spurs running out 7-0 winners at Northumberland Park and the return fixture ending in a 0-0 draw at the Memorial Grounds.

The 1900-01 season saw Thames Ironworks become West Ham United and the Hammers and Spurs played each other in both the Southern League and the Western League. By now, Spurs had moved into their new ground at White Hart Lane but it would be another four years before West Ham moved to their current home at Upton Park (or more correctly, the Boleyn Ground). Spurs won three of the four matches played that season against West Ham with the remaining game being drawn.

Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United continued to meet in both Leagues up to season 1907-08, when Spurs switched to the Football League.

The teams didn't play any more competitive matches against each other until after the First World War. During the War, several games were played in the various competitions organised to maintain the morale of the public.

Spurs beat West Ham 3-0 in the first FA Cup match played between the teams in February 1920. To date, the clubs have played against each other together 11 times in the competition with Spurs winning 6 games to West Ham's 3 and 2 drawn games.

The first Football League meetings came in the Second Division in season 1919-20 with West Ham winning 2-1 at Upton Park and Spurs winning 2-0 at White Hart Lane. Spurs regained their top flight status that season, which had been taken away in very contraversial circumstances.

Spurs and West Ham played their first match in the Top Flight of English Football in February 1924 with the Hammers drawing 0-0 at the Lane but winning the return leg at Upton Park 1-0.

The clubs met for another four seasons in Division One from 1924-25 to 1927-28. From 1932-33 until the outbreak of World War Two, the clubs met in the Second Division.

During the Second World War, Spurs and West Ham played 20 games which often featured 'guest players' as many of the club's regular footballers were called away on National Service.

Regular football resumed in season 1946-47 and the teams played four seasons in Division Two before Spurs won the title in 1949-50 and were promoted to Division One, where they won the first of their two League Championships the next season.

West Ham United were themselves promoted to the First Division for the 1959-60 season and they enjoyed a lengthy spell in the Top Flight which lasted until 1978.

West Ham United beat Spurs in the first Football League Cup meeting in 1966 and to date the clubs have met 7 times in the competition with Spurs winning three games, West Ham two games and two games drawn.

Spurs were founder-members of the Premier League in season 1992-93 and have been ever present in the competition. West Ham won promotion to the Premier League for the 1993-94 season and lost to Spurs 3-1 at Upton Park that season. The Hammers beat Spurs 4-1 in the return match at the Lane.

West Ham won the 2010-11 match in September at Upton Park 1-0 with a Frederic Piquionne goal while the game at White Hart Lane in March 2011 finished in a goalless draw. The Hammers were relegated at the end of that season finishing bottom on 33 points.

The match at White Hart Lane in November 2012 resulted in a 3-1 win for Spurs with Jermain Defoe scoring just before half-time and adding a second after 64 minutes after Gareth Bale had put Spurs 2-0 ahead after 58 minutes. The Hamers goal came from on-loan Andy Carroll.

To date, there have been 33 matches played in the Premier League with Spurs winning 16, West Ham winning 10 and 7 matches drawn. The clubs have met in two foreign venues, firstly on tour in the United States in May 1969 where Spurs beat West Ham 2-1 in Baltimore, USA and more recently in the Barclays Asia Trophy in July 2009 in Beijing, China with Spurs winning 1-0.

Overall, Tottenham Hotspur have won 99 games, West Ham United have won 81 games and the remaining 60 games have been drawn.

A1708_zpsab958e85.jpg
A1709_zps563fa2c6.jpg
They Played for West Ham & Spurs....

Clive Allen
Paul Allen
Charlie Ambler
Eddie Bailey (Spurs player & asst manager, West Ham scout)
Peter Barnes (Secretary with both clubs)
Len Bolan
Mark Bowen
Ronnie Boyce (West Ham player, Spurs scout)
Harry Bradshaw
John Burton
Chris Carrick
Michael Carrick
John Chiedozie
Roger Cross (West Ham player, Spurs asst manager)
Harry Crump
Calum Davenport
Jermain Defoe
Terry Dixon

David Dunmore
Ilie Dumitrescu
Jack Eggett
Matthew Etherington
Les Ferdinand
George Foreman
Jimmy Greaves
Fred Griffiths
Albert Hall
Trevor Hartley (West Ham player, Spurs asst manager)
Pat Holland (West Ham player, Spurs reserves manager)
Percy Hooper
Chris Hughton
Johnny Jordan
Bill Joyce
Bill Kaine
Frederic Kanoute
Robbie Keane
Steven Kelly
Paul Konchesky
Peter Kyle
John Lyall (West Ham player & manager, Spurs scout)
Ken McKay
Percy Mapley
Hossam Mido
Fred Milnes
John Moncur
Roger Morgan (Spurs player, West Ham development officer)
Jimmy Neighbour
Bill Nicholson (Spurs player & manager, West Ham scout)
Scott Parker
Tony Parks
Martin Peters
Sergei Rebrov
Harry Redknapp (West Ham player & manager of both clubs)
Jimmy Reid
Mark Robson
Neil Ruddock
Teddy Sheringham
John Smith
Perry Suckling (West Ham player, Spurs goalkeeping coach)
Mauricio Taricco
Mitchell Thomas
Walter Thomas
Jack Tresadern (West Ham player, Spurs manager)
Steve Walford
Jimmy Walker
Simon Webster
Charlie Whitchurch
Bobby Zamora

A1711_zps1f02d986.jpg
A1741_zpsaf9b3d1a.jpg
A1742_zps52361ca9.jpg

Great stuff MFF, I'm dreading this game in one way, as I can't stand West Ham and the thought of losing to them makes me feel ill. Hopefully, I'll be feeling well chipper after we beat them.

This game is so ludicrously massive to me in so many ways, i can barely face the thought of watching it even now. But for sure I'll be there in front of my screen cheering away come Monday next week.

My younger brother is a West Ham supporter, so there's always family honour at stake for these matches.

The family tried all the usual tried & tested methods when he was growing-up, including electric-shock therapy and dangling large weights from his genitals, but nothing cured him of this sad affliction.

This isn't good, but apart from his disgraceful decisions against us in a few games, eg Man U, in general is he always against us?

I wouldn't know the facts. I can't stand him as a ref, and I wish he wasn't reffing on Monday, but I'm not sure how he does for us against lower rated teams.
Can be a "homer", but sometimes also leans towards the bigger club.

All said and done, he has been too bad recently, but that's not saying much!

Lawro's Prediction for West Ham v Tottenham (Monday, 20:00 GMT)

It'll be interesting to see whether free-scoring left winger Gareth Bale can make West Ham's pitch any bigger.
He has been nothing short of sensational of late.
I think West Ham manager Sam Allardyce will make sure his players double up on the Wales international and make life difficult for him.
Tottenham played in Europe on Thursday and have a striker in Emmanuel Adebayor who needs to be hungry to play well - and I don't think he is at the moment.
Their key forward Jermain Defoe is not even back in training, so I think this will be a draw.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

This is the 6th successive match in which Lawro has predicted Spurs not to win!

Lawro's 2012-13 Predictions

Lol at Swansea in 17th and QPR and in 7th. This Lawrenson really knows his stuff doesn't he. I'm suprised how badly he has Liverpool doing to be honest, in seasons gone by he would usually have them topping the league with his predictions. Shows how far they have slipped if even this deluded koppite thinks they should be in 8th.

It'll be interesting to see whether free-scoring left winger Gareth Bale can make West Ham's pitch any bigger.
He has been nothing short of sensational of late.
I think West Ham manager Sam Allardyce will make sure his players double up on the Wales international and make life difficult for him.
Tottenham played in Europe on Thursday and have a striker in Emmanuel Adebayor who needs to be hungry to play well - and I don't think he is at the moment.
Their key forward Jermain Defoe is not even back in training, so I think this will be a draw.

I like how he has basically boiled his analysis down to the two basic misconceptions that a) we are a one man team, and b) all West Ham can do is defend.

One of the key battles will be Carroll Vs Dawson (if he plays) I expect a lot of high balls testing out defence for him to knock down. They don't really have the pace to make the most of our high line so will have to rely on us dropping deep to get anything IMO.

Seeing as it's Bobby Moore day the occasion might get to them what with this being their cup final etc. and that may push them on to attack a little more than perhaps they should at times. Either way, as long as we control possession like we are more than capable of against teams like this we should create chances.

There's only 1 stat that matters for me.

West Ham = Cunts

:gallashmm:

5-0 Spurs.

Scotty Parker hat-trick, right up there with Ronny Rosenthals. A Tony Yeboah screamer, Matt LeTissier shimmy and lob the keeper and a Darren Anderton in off both posts.

Not sure about the other two, my predictive powers are weakening, though I think Lloris might get one.

:llorishuh:

Ah I see. Expect tosee Lots of teary eyed fat nazis reminiscing about the good old days when the 'coloureds' ran minicabs outside instead of running around on the pitch.

(excuse my sweeping generalisation of west ham fans)

Is he that weird looking ugly mug who openly admits he doesn't wear any underpants whenever he's on the BBC's MOTD with that orange scar faced tedious Scottish muppet and the bloke from the Walker's crisp adverts?
:harryblow:

Back
Top Bottom