What a Crap Season, But

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am being devils advocate here. Whilst I would dearly love to be picking points up from the top four sides, the fact is that we aren't as good as any of them, and the fact we are 6th is because we probably have the 6th best squad in the prem. Personally I don't think we have underperformed, and to be honest we haven't over performed either. With our present players I don't think it matters what manager we get, we just aren't as good as some supporters would like to think. Harry did us a lot damage, he made us a much better side that played beautiful football. We learnt to expect that, and now we are just the shit side we used to be again.

I don't agree with that either.

He just played crash-boom-bang football and had the luck of the gods to have King, Modric, Bale and VdV, all in the very same team.

It's not a question of Harry being the best modern day manager - he just happened to get the best modern day Spurs squad.

On a side note - if there is one thing I bitterly begrudge AVB doing, then it's alienating and then discarding VdV as swiftly. He really should know better, seeing as we had just lost King for good and then Modric to the HalaWankers.

I agree with that, however forums were filled of so called supporters last year telling us how brilliant AVB was because of the record point tally.

I repeat, we are just about to finish an appalling season, and if Levy had of spent the money when he should have, and let Harry push on, we may have been this years Liverpool.

So you are questioning the credibility of "so called supporters" who claim AVB was good because of points tally, when your very thread starter was based on Sherwoods points tally?

All too come to the conclusion that Harry was in fact the right manager.

Jesus. Seriously, where was everyone hiding in Harrys final half season as manager where we bottled every single important game we got near and played awful, worm-spined football? The revisionism.

I'd add drawing to Hull and WBA, should have taken Woolwich to a draw at least (in PL, not FA cup), shoudl have beaten West Ham in the cup, more dickings from Chelsea, City and Liverpool. On top of that, was far too casual with first leg of Europa league against both Dnipro and Benfica.

Not even mentioning all the media cock ups (Lamela, Makalele, Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho...)

He could, one day be an okay manager for someone, but not now, and not for us. Needs to eff off to lower leagues and make something of his name.
Which returns us to the original point:

Sherwood clearly has a future in football, he just is nowhere near to manage Premier League, let alone so at Spurs. He should, and I believe, will go to the Football League to get some proper experience. And, presumably, his coaching badges. God knows what he has been doing the last 10 years or so since quitting, if he claims he always wanted to manage?

So if we end up with the same points as last season and haven't beaten any of the top 4, that means we must have lost more games against the lesser teams last season, which must surely be worse. If you think our squad is better than Arsenals, you must be watching a different sport. You refer to our season going backwards since AVB was sacked, when in actual fact we were 8th at that point.

Like I said, I am only being devils advocate here, and am disappointed as anyone here. In fact I have rented my ST out next year, partly because of my disappointment. As you pointed out, I do expect more effort from the players we have, and never have I seen a Spurs team with so little ambition.

Finally, what's wrong with Wetherspoons ?

So what? When he was sacked we still had about 20 games to go and were in all three cup tournaments still. Our relative points distance to 4th was 6 pts IIRC, while we were a whole lot closer to first than now.

It appears there is this myth with single-file benchmarks in Sherwoods favour, which keep popping up, depending on which is the most convenient; points-from-games, table-from-date, etc.

If you want to believe that 4 pts off with 2 games to go is better than 6 pts with 20-ish games to go, so be it. But you won't ever seeing me agree to it.

DarthVader has just disagreed with something i said... i apologise to everyone now if our planet suddenly gets blown up. #Nowwitnessthefirepowerofthisfullyarmedandoperationalbattlestation

Haha. Just can't agree with our players being as good as the other teams in the top 4. We've messed up massively with who we brought in. They don't work as a team at all. Soldado, Chadli and Capoue are all lost causes for me. We've probably alienated Lamela to the point where he'll flop now regardless of how talented he is. The only decent players left are Paulinho (who's been poor this season), Eriksen and Chiriches.

We'll probably finish 7 points off the top 4 and that's regression unfortunately. This was our best chance to get into the top 4 and we bottled it. Man Utd will spend £150m+ in the summer with Van Gaal and get back into the top 4. Liverpool will keep Suarez and build on a great season for them. City and Chelsea are going to spend regardless. Woolwich will probably spend big as well with all the money they have sloshing about.

It's easy to say that "We could've drawn this match and won the other and we'd be in the top 4". But the fact is we didn't and that's because we always bottle it when it matters. Just distraught at how we've messed it up this season.

Haha. Just can't agree with our players being as good as the other teams in the top 4. We've messed up massively with who we brought in. They don't work as a team at all. Soldado, Chadli and Capoue are all lost causes for me. We've probably alienated Lamela to the point where he'll flop now regardless of how talented he is. The only decent players left are Paulinho (who's been poor this season), Eriksen and Chiriches.

We'll probably finish 7 points off the top 4 and that's regression unfortunately. This was our best chance to get into the top 4 and we bottled it. Man Utd will spend £150m+ in the summer with Van Gaal and get back into the top 4. Liverpool will keep Suarez and build on a great season for them. City and Chelsea are going to spend regardless. Woolwich will probably spend big as well with all the money they have sloshing about.

It's easy to say that "We could've drawn this match and won the other and we'd be in the top 4". But the fact is we didn't and that's because we always bottle it when it matters. Just distraught at how we've messed it up this season.

That's it for me. How we messed it up. Tragic and toe-cringing.

So what your saying is... we need a manager thats gonna get the best out of the squad? is that not my original point?

And the bit I've bolded.. thats just bullshit. You're just spouting cliches. And Lamela has been injured.

I swear, sometimes its like people forget, its not 11 players that win titles and trophies. Its a squad of 20-25 players, and a manager. And a chairman tbh.

How can you say Lamela has been alienated to the point he'll flop, and then say Capoue and chadli are "lost causes"
thats hypocrisy if ever I've heard it. Why don't you just get behind the team/players wearing our shirt. They wouldn't be here, or in the squad, or in the team, if people didn't think they could do a job.

Wtf does a sith know about football anyway.

So what your saying is... we need a manager thats gonna get the best out of the squad? is that not my original point?

And the bit I've bolded.. thats just bullshit. You're just spouting cliches. And Lamela has been injured.

I swear, sometimes its like people forget, its not 11 players that win titles and trophies. Its a squad of 20-25 players, and a manager. And a chairman tbh.

How can you say Lamela has been alienated to the point he'll flop, and then say Capoue and chadli are "lost causes"
thats hypocrisy if ever I've heard it. Why don't you just get behind the team/players wearing our shirt. They wouldn't be here, or in the squad, or in the team, if people didn't think they could do a job.

Wtf does a sith know about football anyway.

We needed a decent manager anyway but he won't get the funds to actually change this team.

Those three players I mentioned are bang average. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. Lamela has been injured the entire season of course. Silly me. Hasn't been treated badly at all.

The problem is that our first XI is full of squad players. Players that aren't good enough for a top 4 team but can be effective from the bench or against dead beat teams.

I can say what I want. We've alienated our most talented player. And my criticism of other players is completely fair. It's not like they check these forums and are hurt by my opinions. Get a grip.

Get behind the team? I thought we were intelligently discussing what's wrong with our team and how we should improve as well as summarising this season. I didn't know this was a thread questioning our support.

We needed a decent manager anyway but he won't get the funds to actually change this team.

Those three players I mentioned are bang average. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. Lamela has been injured the entire season of course. Silly me. Hasn't been treated badly at all.

The problem is that our first XI is full of squad players. Players that aren't good enough for a top 4 team but can be effective from the bench or against dead beat teams.

I can say what I want. We've alienated our most talented player. And my criticism of other players is completely fair. It's not like they check these forums and are hurt by my opinions. Get a grip.

Get behind the team? I thought we were intelligently discussing what's wrong with our team and how we should improve as well as summarising this season. I didn't know this was a thread questioning our support.
I disagree with you so lets just end it there.

... if we win our last games we will equal our record point tally, and we will also be closer to the champions as we ever were

- still a crap season though

Man Utd will spend £150m+ in the summer with Van Gaal and get back into the top 4. Liverpool will keep Suarez and build on a great season for them. City and Chelsea are going to spend regardless. Woolwich will probably spend big as well with all the money they have sloshing about.

Not so easy for Man U to coordinate a summer transfer policy with Van Gaal's mind on other things (assuming he goes there). Suarez has demanded that he should be allowed to talk to Real, and will almost certainly leave LFC if they don't win the title. City and the chavs no change there, and woolwich, well, big spending is no guarantee of decent acquisitions where Wenger is concerned. It's not his forte.

Not so easy for Man U to coordinate a summer transfer policy with Van Gaal's mind on other things (assuming he goes there). Suarez has demanded that he should be allowed to talk to Real, and will almost certainly leave LFC if they don't win the title. City and the chavs no change there, and woolwich, well, big spending is no guarantee of decent acquisitions where Wenger is concerned. It's not his forte.
It's not easy but they will do it considering the fan reaction. They already have Luke Shaw and Carvalho signed according to the media. They're very interested in the likes of Kroos, Reus etc. and will get their men because they have so much money to spend.

Suarez won't leave Liverpool. He's secured CL football with them and Madrid won't be able to afford the fee Liverpool will ask. Don't get your hopes up. Liverpool are going to be even more dangerous next season.

Wenger has always spent big until them lot moved to the Emirates. It's all relative. They spent £10m on Henry when he was struggling in Serie A. They spent £42m on Özil and have improved because of his addition. They led the league for most of it and are in the final of the FA cup. Wenger knows how to spend big money. It is naive to think he can't.

We've got to stop being so bias and accept that there has been a massive cock up with recruitments. None of them work properly in a team. We need a new manager who will actually get a proper system in place utilising our better players and improving positions like central midfield, striker and left back in my opinion.

I hope Suarez'll leave regardless - not for any other reason than in the hope people will get over the "Bale/Suarez" comparison. If Real come knocking and Liverpool manage to keep him then it'll be different, but I can't see it myself - he's 28 next season, that's near the pinnacle of Real wanting to be interested in him as £30m is the ceiling for a striker approaching 30 imo (should he stay at pool next season and look for a move near his 29th year)

Back
Top Bottom