What Do You Think Is A Player's Perception Of Fans

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you see a top professional football player's perception of his team's fans ?. Are we regarded as a necessary burden to be tolerated and appeased in order to keep the club's image intact or do you think they regard us with true appreciation and a genuine respect for what being a supporter entails ?.

Winks did say they read social media so can only imagine they all think Igula is a boring twat like the rest of us.

Depends on the player , i suppose.
Ledley king seems to appreciate the fans when i have met him(he's an ex player,i know)
Berbatov looked at me like i was the shit on his shoe,even after clocking my spurs tie pin.
I suspect we were more thought of in general by players years back than now.That said ,i have heard horror stories about Gary Lineker. My mate witnessed him refusing to give a kid an autograph in the west end years back.

Sadly they're probably as fickle about us, as we are about them, due to the plethora of wankers on Twitter who abuse our own players when we lose, who probably haven't been to a game in their lives.

I'm sure there are exceptions. I think it is often the players who were fans themselves who appreciate and respect what it means to be a true supporter.

Ledley king seems to appreciate the fans when i have met him(he's an ex player,i know)
Berbatov looked at me like i was the shit on his shoe,even after clocking my spurs tie pin.
I suspect we were more thought of in general by players years back than now.That said ,i have heard horror stories about Gary Lineker. My mate witnessed him refusing to give a kid an autograph in the west end years back.
A couple of friends of mine have had similar experiences with him.

Depends on the player, but I think mostly, we're regarded as a necessary evil. However, I do hope that our absence has made the heart go fonder. I also think we need them, more than they need us. I agree with the above remark about Lineker, wally of the highest order.

They like the fans as long as you tell them how amazing they are and sing their name.

The slightest bit of criticism and you are a clueless fool who should fuck off, at least that's how it works in 99 percent of the cases.

I would assume they think we overthink, we under appreciate how difficult and competitive the game is and the quality of players that play it and the effort that is put in but who knows. I certainly wouldn’t read it if I was a footballer, must screw with your head.

sad to hear another story of Linekers "bad behaviour" I met him outside and inside Wembley with his boys (at an FA cup final)and he was nothing but friendly and chatty whilst we stood around waiting to get in, and he remembered me when I saw him and his lads again later on the concourse (might have been half time)
I thanked him as a Spurs fan for what he did for the club and he seemed flattered and a little embarrassed and thanked me for saying so. My experience was nothing but positive, so I'm sad to hear all the negativity about him.

You think too hard, you'll hurt yourself. Duly edited. Happy ? now answer the question please.

I think the business side of sports very quickly makes the majority of players very cynical about the entire endeavor, and then they look at us silly idealists cheering for laundry and find us very peculiar.

Depends on the player, but I think mostly, we're regarded as a necessary evil. However, I do hope that our absence has made the heart go fonder. I also think we need them, more than they need us. I agree with the above remark about Lineker, wally of the highest order.
Didn't Herrera of PSG say in a live post-CL interview that football was "shit" without fans?

My instinct is that scoring a goal, especially a late winner or after a piece of magical play, is much better if you can run to your supporters and celebrate as they go nuts.

Equally, if you're playing shit and some geezer in the crowd keeps on reminding you of this, then the Eric Dier Solution must come to mind.

I don't see how there's a catch all answer to this question... Every player will have their own feelings on the matter based on their own experiences both before and since becoming pros.

Last edited:
Sadly they're probably as fickle about us, as we are about them, due to the plethora of wankers on Twitter who abuse our own players when we lose, who probably haven't been to a game in their lives.

I'm sure there are exceptions. I think it is often the players who were fans themselves who appreciate and respect what it means to be a true supporter.
Great post, agree 100%.

Mostly don’t give 2 shites about us no matter what they say or how much they touch the crest.
maybe 50 years ago with local lads where their father took them to matches and the pub. Part for Winks I doubt any of them really cares for us here.

Again depends the player you’ve got say Kane, Winks, Hoddle etc who are Tottenham fans they can relate to fans, us! As probably other players from other teams can regarding who they play for or support. Then youve got Benny who according to Crouch hated football it was a job, think David Batty was another he played football......as a job if you go to the Jimmy Greaves thread and watch the question & answer session first thing he says he’s not a Tottenham fan but he enjoyed playing football if you’ve got guys that happen to play football for a living and that’s it they probably won’t relate to fans and they/we think team gets beat, okay should/will do better next week move on.......for us or at least some we sink into the depths of despair and dwell on a defeat for ages perhaps a players view is the better option life’s too short.

Back
Top Bottom