What does it take for fans to buy back a club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a general question and hoping someone could answer my curiosity. Wondering why some countries have different standards for fans in their clubs and other don't.

Also wondering what it would take for Tottenham to have a Dortmund style ownership model.

Fans with massively deep pockets, and owners that were prepared to give up control.

German model works because they were all initially run by not for profit member associations. and until 1998 no private membership of any kind was permitted under German FA rules.
Now private investors are allowed 49%, although a few clubs Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim being the obvious ones have got around that.

Last edited:
Fans with massively deep pockets, and owners that were prepared to give up control.

German model works because they were all initially run by not for profit member associations. and until 1998 no private membership of any kind was permitted under German FA rules.
Now private investors are allowed 49%, although a few clubs Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim being the obvious ones have got around that.
Is that because they're owned by a single company?

Is that because they're owned by a single company?

RB Leipzig is 49% owned by Red Bull, with the other 51% owned by Red Bull executives.
Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen got special dispensation, which they can apply for after 20 years of ownership, to own more than 49% which the other clubs voted on and approved, so in effect Volkswagen and Bayer have controlling interest, the same with Dietmar Hopp (multi Billionaire from creating SAP) at Hoffenheim

Regarding Tottenham, its impossible as its now all private stock. If you put together a consortium willing to buy ENIC out at whats likely a £4B+ valuation, I'm sure you could get Joe's shares. Its just a business to him.

At £1,000 per member, we only need 4,000,000 people who want to own 0.000025% of the club. Board elections are gonna be fun.

Assuming that you want the new fan owners to take them out of the new league, your best shot is to find a billionaire who hates money and is a complete idiot.

Then get them to spend 6 billion to buy the club and immediately cut its value by a massive amount by taking them out of the Super League.

I know many billionaires are idiots and some might hate how much money they have but I doubt many of them overlap in the two categories or that they would be willing to waste the money by buying a football club and dropping its value versus donating to charity or wasting in themselves.

Regarding Tottenham, its impossible as its now all private stock. If you put together a consortium willing to buy ENIC out at whats likely a £4B+ valuation, I'm sure you could get Joe's shares. Its just a business to him.

At £1,000 per member, we only need 4,000,000 people who want to own 0.000025% of the club. Board elections are gonna be fun.
I can probably manage a tenner: what does that buy me? 0.000000025%?

Joe Lewis is no mug. :levystare:

Lewis has to be on his way out by now. I recon you have a better chance getting in with one of his daughters and get a step in the door that way. That tinder thing still going?

Lewis has to be on his way out by now. I recon you have a better chance getting in with one of his daughters and get a step in the door that way. That tinder thing still going?

Unfortunately she's neither of the ones you want her to be. But she's got a cheeky hand on that one's bum, so maybe it'll all be worth it?

What the hell, I've got enough bourbon to roll back a couple of decades anyway.

Unfortunately she's neither of the ones you want her to be. But she's got a cheeky hand on that one's bum, so maybe it'll all be worth it?

What the hell, I've got enough bourbon to roll back a couple of decades anyway.

Did you actually go check on his daughters? Fuckin hell mate i was joking

Just a general question and hoping someone could answer my curiosity. Wondering why some countries have different standards for fans in their clubs and other don't.

Also wondering what it would take for Tottenham to have a Dortmund style ownership model.
I've always wondered the same about England...

Here in Portugal almost all clubs were created by a bunch of young guys who just wanted to play football with their friends, over 100 years ago. Football or others sports, most clubs have tons of sports. Most big clubs here have professional teams in more than one sport, like basketball, handball, volleyball, athletics, cycling, etc.

Those clubs were amateur non-profit associations, with a few paying members (initially just the founders, but later the fans could join), that controlled how the club was run, through general assemblies, votes, etc. There were no "owners", only members. If a founding member stopped paying the monthly fee, he would no longer be a member and would have no ownership rights over anything. The club could not be sold to anyone because no one owned it.

Then in the last 20-25 years new laws mandated that the professional football teams of those clubs become a corporate sub-entity of the clubs (so the original club is the "holding company"). That corporate entity does have private investors, shareholders and therefore owners, but the club still owns at least 50% of the shares (or something close to it). There's the Benfica sports company (just the football team) and the Benfica club (all the other sports, the brand, etc). So in the end the supporters still elect a club president and vote for important stuff, like club president, stadium naming rights, logo changes, membership fees, etc. It's more or less the same as Spain.

While in England it seems that football clubs were private for-profit business ventures from day 1, created and owned by some rich guy, who could do whatever he wanted, including selling the club to someone else. There were no members with equal rights, only customers. Am I wrong? 🤔

I got 200 shares when I was a kid and Spurs were plc. Just nice to have the certificate and then get invited to the AGM.
Then when they delisted I got bombarded with requests to sell but never actioned it.
So I think I still own part of the club?
I'm not sure what I can do with this mighty power!!

Back
Top Bottom