What does match day mean to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interested to know what attracted you to supporting Spurs in the first place ? For me it’s cause my dad was a Yid
The 2010 World Cup was my “introduction” to the sport pretty much. I live in Iowa, a state where American football, basketball and baseball is all anyone cares about. My school didn’t even have a soccer/football team.

After watching the WC, I quickly fell in love with the game and knew of Tottenham because my favorite athlete at the time, Steve Nash talked about them in interviews often. I started watching games when I could the next few seasons but NBC did not televise it as often as now so games were hard to see. Then after the 2014 WC, every match became available and at that time I decided to settle on Spurs being the team I felt I could enjoy. It was also Poch’s first year so I thought me joining the same time as a new manager was a good starting place.

Now that the sport has grown in my area, we have a Sunday league but I’m still the only Spur fan I know. Everyone else is United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool or Everton.

Post pandemic - like you all, watching on telly. It’s the hope that kills etc. Reflecting on how far football has come and far it is from its roots. TFC is a fairly depressing place when we’ve lost but I suppose that is to be expected given the circs..

Before all that though, football has meant starting early in town (I’m south of the river), beers with mates, travel to the game with them and/or my eldest son. Maybe it’s the being with other fans but negative results always seem easier to take live.

Going way back, I miss 3pm KO’s, away days, proper London derbies, standing instead of sitting, players running out quick warm up and on with the game, no ‘warm up’music or light shows, VAR or any other nonsense. And I miss it being affordable to most and not an ‘experience’ or it having to entail more planning than an average family holiday. Now I’m just sounding like the middle aged curmudgeonly fuck that I am.

I’ll end on a positive though: for all our recent travails and current displeasure with our style of football I wouldn’t trade it. I take pride in following a club known and admired for its history, players, flair and elan. For having given us Bill Nick, Blanchflower, Greavsie, Hoddle, Perryman, Ardiles, Gazza, Ledley, Bale, Son & Kane. I’m grateful and I love the club (sometimes despite myself...)

as always COYS
Enjoyed reading this Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur

Match day - if I attend - is a several hour round trip. For me Spurs was and is, first and foremost, a family affair. What I miss most in the current period is chats with other fans, usually before a game, asking them who they are enjoying watching, expectations for the season, what they think of the current manager and so on. Of course you can chat online - as I've been doing - but in-person connections are often more meaningful, and people are often more civil and thoughtful than on here.

Not old enough to track some of the changes discussed above in my own lifetime but the gradual transition as the day out away from ritual towards event/experience is something that has been quite negative imv, alongside the gradual Americanisation of everyday British 'culture'.

God I love and miss match days. It’s my quality me time. The game is just a small part of it. It may sound naff, but the experience for me is about connecting with the area, fellow Spurs and just showing your number. I like to ‘support’ local businesses (e.g. Redemption Brewing & Antwerp Arms!) and stuffing myself with good cheap food from the High Road. More recently, it’s been nice to meet a fair few TFCers. Everyone I’ve met so far has been a genuinely lovely person, contrary to the ridiculous vitriol that’s thrown around here. But really it’s about showing up, being Spurs, spending time in the area and being surrounded by legions of fellow followers of our footballing religion.

Spurs are pretty much my escape from the monotony of life. There's not much else going on. I have the usual wife, kids and work thing happening, but whenever spurs are playing, it's my time.

It's pretty much the same routine. On match days I usually visit this forum, and depending on who we're playing, theirs also. I make sure i've booked the tele and fucked the kids off upstairs. The Mrs knows to leave me alone for a few hours and gets on with her stuff.

Love the build up and the analysis, but get pissed off with the anti spurs bias that the so called pundits usually show. This only increases my love for Tottenham Hotspur as I think fuck em.

I love it when we win, hate it when we lose, but one things for sure, i'll be back next time we play without fail. I haven't missed watching a match in ages. I always seem to find a way to get a broadcast. Luckily spurs are big enough that someone is showing them, somewhere in the world. I only manage to get up to the stadium once or twice a season to watch it live. Money and distance is a problem for me, but I think of myself as a yid through thick and thin.

To put it bluntly, I honestly wouldn't know what the fuck i'd do without spurs being part of my life. It would be shit. I know this much 💙

The togetherness of it all, I suppose. I go on my own to games generally (a mate from West Wales joins me occasionally) but not once have I ever felt alone or lonely. Always had a chat with random match goers and, win or lose, you can't beat that feeling of comraderie. I miss that. That's one reason I can't wait for social distancing to fuck off. We need full stadiums again.

One example of that comraderie... I travelled up from Cardiff to watch us play Wigan away one weekend. Was on my own but a few minutes after leaving Cardiff, 3 people from Bristol who were on the beers and sat at a train table opposite me, invited me to join them (we were all wearing colours). Ended up spending the day on the lash with them pre and post match, and had a great time. OK we lost one nil and it was freezing cold and pissing down but still..! Kindness shown to me like that is something I won't ever forget

The togetherness of it all, I suppose. I go on my own to games generally (a mate from West Wales joins me occasionally) but not once have I ever felt alone or lonely. Always had a chat with random match goers and, win or lose, you can't beat that feeling of comraderie. I miss that. That's one reason I can't wait for social distancing to fuck off. We need full stadiums again.

One example of that comraderie... I travelled up from Cardiff to watch us play Wigan away one weekend. Was on my own but a few minutes after leaving Cardiff, 3 people from Bristol who were on the beers and sat at a train table opposite me, invited me to join them (we were all wearing colours). Ended up spending the day on the lash with them pre and post match, and had a great time. OK we lost one nil and it was freezing cold and pissing down but still..! Kindness shown to me like that is something I won't ever forget
That's the main reason I'm so happy to have found this forum, being able to talk to fellow Spurs fans makes it 10000x more enjoyable. Even with all the bickering by some, it's still a common love we all have. I can order clothes, merchandise, and programs from the official website all day long, listen to every Spurs podcast I can find, and watch all the Youtube videos Spurs fans make. But I still never feel part of a group since I live so far away. The wife and I planned a trip to the new stadium but COVID fucked that up so the plan will have to wait.

I started going on Spurs Community at the start of this year but it never felt right. Too many people who were just wanting to argue. But being on here for a week and I could not be happier. So thank you TFC, you have made my experience that much better already.

:adethumbup:

That's the main reason I'm so happy to have found this forum, being able to talk to fellow Spurs fans makes it 10000x more enjoyable. Even with all the bickering by some, it's still a common love we all have. I can order clothes, merchandise, and programs from the official website all day long, listen to every Spurs podcast I can find, and watch all the Youtube videos Spurs fans make. But I still never feel part of a group since I live so far away. The wife and I planned a trip to the new stadium but COVID fucked that up so the plan will have to wait.

I started going on Spurs Community at the start of this year but it never felt right. Too many people who were just wanting to argue. But being on here for a week and I could not be happier. So thank you TFC, you have made my experience that much better already.

:adethumbup:
:levyeyes:

This place is nuts but genuinely full of good people who'll happily cunt you off but do you a good turn if you're in need. 😊

Defoe's debut(2nd)? If so I was at that game, fucking brutal game. Definitely best to be blitzed watching it! I drove and parked at the stadium, took forever getting out after the game. It was a typical day following Spurs. :mourweird:

I only get maybe twice a season now, but when I go with my eldest boy we make it a proper day out and make the most of it. Down early, into the store ( to get fleeced) then something to eat and few pints before going into stadium. I miss the looking forward to getting to a live game. Hopefully we get back soon.

So match day generally the same for me , watch it on TV. But I do miss heading out to the bar to watch the bigger games.

Change your banner mate you are not worthless.

Back
Top Bottom