What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit of a reader myself and I thought i'd share a few good football related books out at the moment and also those I have recently read.

Currently reading 'I'm not really here' by Paul Lake, who for those that remember him played for man city when they were a real team. only just started this but it's a real good one.

Just finished Shirts shorts and Spurs by our legendary pitman Roy 'Roysie' Reyland who is now pitman for the rugby outfit Saracens. This was a real funny book and full of good stories about behind the scenes antics at the Lane. Roy spend 29 years at the lane and is a proper yid.

Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

I want to get the Glory Game by Hunter Davies, that's meant to be a great read.
The Glory Game is a must read for every Spurs supporter, I bought it at the time and it was quite controversial then. I lent it to someone, never got it back and had to buy the reissue, which includes an update, which is worth a read on its own.

Zlatans biography is probably the best book I've ever read. Before I read the book I always thought of him as an worthless, self centered and obnoxious cunt, but that book showed him in a whole other light. The best part of the booking is the ending, it's beautiful man

Thou Shall Not Pass ( The Anatomy Of Football's Centre-Half ). Leo Moynihan
Good read, anecdotes from past and present players, amusing and serious in equal parts. Interesting look on how the centre-half position has changed as football has developed over the years.
Welcome back Chivers. Hope all is well with you.

Looking forward to the Terry Naylor book which is out later this month although I assume it will be similar to most other football biographies.
He was very pally with Souness in their younger days ,by all accounts.
Be interesting to read about that
Wonder if he mentions the drunken annoying idiot(me!) he met in a pub in Clerkenwell a few years back?...

Last edited:
Reading Calcio: a history of Italian football, by John Foot at moment. Foot is a woolwich cunt unfortunately but once you're past the first couple of pages you forget that and he concentrates on the calcio stuff.

It's awesome.

My favourite part so far was when he talks about how the great Torino side of the 1940s all died in a plane crash and the league championship was granted to Torino even though there were four games left. They would have walked it, as they were by far the greatest team in the country, unbeaten at home in about five years I think he said.

Torino decided to still play the remaining four games of the season, fielding their academy kids. Their opponents did the same. The way he describes the dumbfounded silence in the stadium, finally breaking out into chants, is beautifully evocative. Italian football has always been so violent and corrupt, with a win at all costs mentality, that the Grande Torino incident stands out even more. A heartbreaking story told really well indeed in this book.

Anyone who likes football books will enjoy this one I'm sure, especially if you're into Serie A.

The Glory Game is a must read for every Spurs supporter, I bought it at the time and it was quite controversial then. I lent it to someone, never got it back and had to buy the reissue, which includes an update, which is worth a read on its own.
I'm a bit of a book nerd, and I bought 6 first editions of 'The Glory Game' about 15 years ago for not a lot, and they are going up in value quite nicely. I've got an American 1st edition as well where the wages and transfers are in dollars. I'm sad.

Back
Top Bottom