What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

David Goldblatt talks about his new book in a rather lengthy lecture (in NYC) here:

He echoes Flav Flav early on, saying that there is no Spurs w/o the nomads, and later jokes that (and this has been my experience as well) it seems to be the case, much to his chagrin, that wherever he turns he bumps into new Woolwich supporters.

Anyone read Forward the Spurs or In search of Alan Gilzean? Thoughts?
I really enjoyed 'In Search of Alan Gilzean'. I was dreading an unhappy conclusion, but he is obviously a very private man. Still hugely liked and respected. A well researched book without lurching into hagiography.

Last edited:
..........We are, aren't we?

(Afterall Millwall are just a footnote these days.)

As for books..... I still haven't got round to reading Poch's book. Lol

Doubt I'll bother now......

PM me if anyone wants a free hardback copy.
You had to read that at the time, IMO.
I enjoy getting stuck into a book, but it seems the only books I read these days are football related.

(Afterall Millwall are just a footnote these days.)

As for books..... I still haven't got round to reading Poch's book. Lol

Doubt I'll bother now......

PM me if anyone wants a free hardback copy.
This has been discussed many times on the north stand banter forum and the general consensus there is that the two most hated football clubs in the country are Leeds utd and Millwall, whereas the most hated in London is Tottenham Hotspur due to being joint No1 hated by West Ham fans but No1 hated by both Chelsea and Woolwich supporters. Shouldn’t Spurs adopt “ No one Likes us we don’t care”?

On the subject of books my budding poet niece Rebekah recently had her first book published;
any lovers of poetry feel free to patronise her work. :adethumbup:

Amazon product ASIN 1999833708

Last edited:
This has been discussed many times on the north stand banter forum and the general consensus there is that the two most hated football clubs in the country are Leeds utd and Millwall, whereas the most hated in London is Tottenham Hotspur due to being joint No1 hated by West Ham fans but No1 hated by both Chelsea and Woolwich supporters. Shouldn’t Spurs adopt “ No one Likes us we don’t care”?

On the subject of books my budding poet niece Rebekah recently had her first book published;
any lovers of poetry feel free to patronise her work. :adethumbup:

Amazon product ASIN 1999833708

What station is that?

Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

I want to get the Glory Game by Hunter Davies, that's meant to be a great read.

I've been reading a few good books whilst I've had nothing else to do.

- 32 Programmes - I like football programmes and this is a book based on a man falling in love with programmes and collecting them, working with football, playing football etc. It's a good book, would recommend it.
- Hibs Boy - About football casual in Scotland, good read although a little violent.
- 92 Pies - A book about this bloke called Tom who went too all the 92 football league grounds in one season and had a pie at every ground (he doesn't slag off Tottenham too much - he's a Bolton fan so not that bias a view)
- Inverting The Pyramid, started to read, was so fucking boring, sold the book.

(Sorry for bumping such an old thread!)

Thelonious said:
Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

Glory Game is absolutely great. I actually liked Inverting the Pyramid but it definitely is not a page turner. Have read chunks of The Ball is Round but need to go back to it.

Someareteeth said:
Thelonious said:

Glory Game is absolutely great. I actually liked Inverting the Pyramid but it definitely is not a page turner. Have read chunks of The Ball is Round but need to go back to it.
I got Glory Game last Christmas and finished it in 3 days, cracking book!

Back
Top Bottom