What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit of a reader myself and I thought i'd share a few good football related books out at the moment and also those I have recently read.

Currently reading 'I'm not really here' by Paul Lake, who for those that remember him played for man city when they were a real team. only just started this but it's a real good one.

Just finished Shirts shorts and Spurs by our legendary pitman Roy 'Roysie' Reyland who is now pitman for the rugby outfit Saracens. This was a real funny book and full of good stories about behind the scenes antics at the Lane. Roy spend 29 years at the lane and is a proper yid.

Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

I want to get the Glory Game by Hunter Davies, that's meant to be a great read.

I've been reading a few good books whilst I've had nothing else to do.

- 32 Programmes - I like football programmes and this is a book based on a man falling in love with programmes and collecting them, working with football, playing football etc. It's a good book, would recommend it.
- Hibs Boy - About football casual in Scotland, good read although a little violent.
- 92 Pies - A book about this bloke called Tom who went too all the 92 football league grounds in one season and had a pie at every ground (he doesn't slag off Tottenham too much - he's a Bolton fan so not that bias a view)
- Inverting The Pyramid, started to read, was so fucking boring, sold the book.

(Sorry for bumping such an old thread!)

Thelonious said:
Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

Glory Game is absolutely great. I actually liked Inverting the Pyramid but it definitely is not a page turner. Have read chunks of The Ball is Round but need to go back to it.

Someareteeth said:
Thelonious said:

Glory Game is absolutely great. I actually liked Inverting the Pyramid but it definitely is not a page turner. Have read chunks of The Ball is Round but need to go back to it.
I got Glory Game last Christmas and finished it in 3 days, cracking book!

I agree about Vertigo. Great book.

For non-Spurs related books I recommend "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks and "Up Pohnpei" by Paul Watson are a good read.

And finally, slightly different type of book, but still really interesting is "Why England Lose" by Simon Kupar & Stefan Szymanski. Basically if you've read or heard of "Freakonomics" it's the same idea, just applied to football.

Cripps14 said:
I agree about Vertigo. Great book.

For non-Spurs related books I recommend "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks and "Up Pohnpei" by Paul Watson are a good read.

And finally, slightly different type of book, but still really interesting is "Why England Lose" by Simon Kupar & Stefan Szymanski. Basically if you've read or heard of "Freakonomics" it's the same idea, just applied to football.
In America, that book is called "Soccernomics" and you're right, it's great.

Has anyone read the book on Robert Enke (A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke)?

How about Bill Nicholson: Football's Perfectionist?

I also thought inverting the pyramid was really interesting.

tony cascarino's book is quite a page turner, and very honest.

A lot of my favourite football books have already been mentioned, wanted to also give a shout to Left Foot Forward/Left Foot In The Grave by journeyman football Garry Nelson. Humorous and honest diary of an old lag.

Vertigo by John Crace was superb, finished that recently.

Finished Car Fever by James May last night (the chap makes me chuckle).

Started Massive Attack by Trevor Tanner last night (curiosity to be honest)

Read a few interesting ones over the last few months. Vertigo, Glory Game, inverting the Pyramid, and Ajax: the Dutch, the War were the standout ones.

Back
Top Bottom