What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kotten said:
Has anyone read Sicknote's autobiography? Thinking about ordering it.

I haven't but a good mate from Bournemouth bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it! (he only bought it for the Bournemouth bits though so I'm not sure what the Tottenham bits are like, I doubt he would have as high an opinion about us).

Last football related book I read was Alan Sugar's autobiography. The Spurs chapters provided some really great insight but the majority of the book is just him saying how big his dick is in the business world (still a decent read though if you are stuck on a plane etc.).

Read the first 60 odd pages of the double, so far it's covered push and run, Blanchflower from his youth upwards, Rowe, Nicholson. Blanchflower was so articulate for a footballer. I never realised he very nearly joined the scum.

Spurs Miscellany is a good book, I personally have a first edition hand signed by Steve Perryman, yeah be jealous.

Im reading 'Bounce: The Myth Of Talent And The Power Of Practice'

Really good thus far, so interesting. I always believed in the "he/she was born so naturally talented" but reading this has completely changed me. Would really recommend this! :)

A Season with Verona was good, although I know some people hated it.

T, if you want The Glory Game remind me before the West Brom game and I'll bring it along. Excellent read.

Got a loan of 'Back from the brink' Paul Mcgrath's autobiography, I'm keeping it for my hols in 3 weeks. Apparently it's very grim going from being brought in an orphanage to alcoholism and attempted suicide.
Has anyone else read it? Is it just going to depress the life out of me?

I met him once and he was a real gent.

Inverting the pyramid needs to be turned into a movie. Would you watch 2.5 hrs of computer graphics of tactics (CGI subbuteo? :wub: ) with about a half-hour of useless, archaic video?

FUCK YEAH I WOULD.

Reading Calcio: a history of Italian football, by John Foot at moment. Foot is a woolwich cunt unfortunately but once you're past the first couple of pages you forget that and he concentrates on the calcio stuff.

It's awesome.

My favourite part so far was when he talks about how the great Torino side of the 1940s all died in a plane crash and the league championship was granted to Torino even though there were four games left. They would have walked it, as they were by far the greatest team in the country, unbeaten at home in about five years I think he said.

Torino decided to still play the remaining four games of the season, fielding their academy kids. Their opponents did the same. The way he describes the dumbfounded silence in the stadium, finally breaking out into chants, is beautifully evocative. Italian football has always been so violent and corrupt, with a win at all costs mentality, that the Grande Torino incident stands out even more. A heartbreaking story told really well indeed in this book.

Anyone who likes football books will enjoy this one I'm sure, especially if you're into Serie A.

Actually the book brings to mind a great quote by Winston Churchill: "Italians treat wars like football matches, and football matches like wars" or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom