What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Zlatans biography is probably the best book I've ever read. Before I read the book I always thought of him as an worthless, self centered and obnoxious cunt, but that book showed him in a whole other light. The best part of the booking is the ending, it's beautiful man

Zlatans biography is probably the best book I've ever read. Before I read the book I always thought of him as an worthless, self centered and obnoxious cunt, but that book showed him in a whole other light. The best part of the booking is the ending, it's beautiful man
I still think he's all those things - the books more or less confirms, but at least it was a funny read

David Goldblatt talks about his new book in a rather lengthy lecture (in NYC) here:

He echoes Flav Flav early on, saying that there is no Spurs w/o the nomads, and later jokes that (and this has been my experience as well) it seems to be the case, much to his chagrin, that wherever he turns he bumps into new Woolwich supporters.

Anyone read Forward the Spurs or In search of Alan Gilzean? Thoughts?
I really enjoyed 'In Search of Alan Gilzean'. I was dreading an unhappy conclusion, but he is obviously a very private man. Still hugely liked and respected. A well researched book without lurching into hagiography.

Last edited:
David Goldblatt talks about his new book in a rather lengthy lecture (in NYC) here:

He echoes Flav Flav early on, saying that there is no Spurs w/o the nomads, and later jokes that (and this has been my experience as well) it seems to be the case, much to his chagrin, that wherever he turns he bumps into new Woolwich supporters.

I've read his book, "The Game Of Our Lives: The Meaning and Making of English Football". I can't say it's a bad book, because it's not, but it's dull. It's like reading a doctoral thesis, an academic paper, it's just reams and reams of statistics with no emotion, no personal writing style. When you read White or Shindler they write with a passion and verve that is just not there with Goldblatt. In his acknowledgments he does thank 'Dan Levy' though.

I've read his book, "The Game Of Our Lives: The Meaning and Making of English Football". I can't say it's a bad book, because it's not, but it's dull. It's like reading a doctoral thesis, an academic paper, it's just reams and reams of statistics with no emotion, no personal writing style. When you read White or Shindler they write with a passion and verve that is just not there with Goldblatt. In his acknowledgments he does thank 'Dan Levy' though.
Sounds perfect to me. His thesis is something I was kicking around as a research project back in 2007, so I'm eager to see how he got there.

If you want a really good read - pick up a copy of The Nowhere Men, by Michael Calvin

Its all about football scouts - and trust me, its football taken to the bare bones, with some real home truths about how kids are talent spotted, and the truth about the soccer academies. Some really interesting stuff about Spurs in there as well.

Makes interesting reading.

It's that time of year again, need to up my game in the hinting dept if i am to avoid yet another soap on a fucking rope collection.

Any one got any recommendations for some decent footy books?

Back
Top Bottom