What is going wrong??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ndombele and GLC hardly 3rd rate, any how as I have said before we could have signed peak Ronaldo and Messi and it would take 2 years before they are considered fit to start for poch
I’m referring to all the previous windows where we could have strengthened properly instead we got a Njie.

It’s far from a loser mentality sir, playing the same old fading fast half interested players is a loser mentality to be honest...
Plus all this crap talked about hanging tight until January and then we can rebuild come the window is just about the biggest pile of shite Poch has spouted to date, I mean what kind of message does that send?
It says the current players are shit and I will buy new ones, and you know all this youth at our disposal, well they are shit too, so in the mean time I’m going to stick with the troublesome out of form players over giving youth a chance....

I said it over a month ago that Poch has lost the dressing room, none of his actions since has changed my mind, people need to face facts that Poch and Tottenham are over and we need to stop hanging on to some kind of fantasy that it will all be unicorns and rainbows again....The team needs revamped and a new manager is required to do that.

Under Levy the 5 years cycle happens, it always has, and this one is now over.

Moving on, the infrastructure is now in place to support a winning manager, a proven guy who can take what quality we have within the squad and add his own pieces to go on and win a fucking league title.....let the new 5 year cycle begin!!

On the contrary, we are in uncharted territory....

(Who else lasted anything approaching 5 years????)

Remember that season fairly recently when Chelsea finished 10th, it was either just after they'd won the league again or a couple of seasons after. Then the following season they sorted it out and were back up amongst it. Firstly I of course hope we salvage something from this season, but if not, I am hoping this is our "finishing 10th" brain fart season, and then the board and the players step the fuck up and sort it out for next season.

(Whatever "sort it out" involves :pochsulk:)

Remember that season fairly recently when Chelsea finished 10th, it was either just after they'd won the league again or a couple of seasons after. Then the following season they sorted it out and were back up amongst it. Firstly I of course hope we salvage something from this season, but if not, I am hoping this is our "finishing 10th" brain fart season, and then the board and the players step the fuck up and sort it out for next season.

(Whatever "sort it out" involves :pochsulk:)

the problem with that is people like Kane thinking 'sod this' and not wanting to waste anymore of their career.

Supporting spurs for 35+ years so have seen many ups and downs (mostly downs) but when we were so close to the next level, it's gut wrenching that we haven't kicked on. The eternal optimist in my feels we will show our intent in January and will have a good second half to the season. The realist knows it's going to be a long slog of a season...

As much as we take the piss out of the NFL thing the stadium does allow us to buy players.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Fernandes here in January and the Ajax GK in summer.

Sssssh.... That doesn't fit the narrative being pushed.

Still waiting for the oft accused embezzlement to show itself in the annual accounts tbh.

I mean there is a whole host of things that have been handled poorly in the past and are currently being handled poorly. In fact there are so many I am going to list them out as some sort of self-catharticism:

Current Issues
- Playing a woefully useless CE when he clearly doesn't want to be here or succeed.
- Not using our squad to its full potential. Why are we not even trying to bed-in players such as GLC, Walker-Peters or even Troy Parrott when the rest of the squad are utter shite right now? They cannot be any worse even if they are deemed 'unfit'.
- A lack of creative player to replace Eriksen's contribution. We have a lot of attacking players who are MUCH better on the receiving end of a pass than creating themselves.
- An attacking system which focuses entirely too much on needless possession and static positioning. No ideas on how to reliably break down a dual-banked defence other than finding space by using our full-backs who are all seemingly incompetent in attack (and defence...) nowadays
- A defensive 'press' which is no longer anywhere close to threatening opposition players. We have a few players from attack/midfield who press the back four and a back line / pivot midfield who do not press. This opens up a chasm of space in central midfield which is expected to be covered by 1 or 2 midfielders and we get pulled apart in 1 single pass. I cannot emphasise enough our need to either press AS A TEAM WITH INTENSITY or the need to SIT AS A UNIT WITH STRUCTURE. It is not rocket science.
- Playing the completely useless diamond formation midfield too frequently which does not suit our midfielders skillsets. A traditional 4-3-3 never gets used which could work better, or even a more familiar 4-2-3-1 with a bit more structure is needed.

Past Issues
- Not replacing Dembele with an adequate replacement. NDombele could be that guy but we have not bedded him in well enough to date.
- Not buying a suitable RB to replace Trippier. Aurier should have been assessed last year as to whether he could be our first choice or not (hint - he should not) and moved on accordingly.
- Still no backup option to Kane when there is a real need to have a plan-B. Even Llorente was an okay stop-gap in this regard. If Parrott is the future why do we not at least give him a go every now and then!?
- Not being able to drop deadwood or want-away players such as Wanyama, Rose, Toby, CE.
- Slow regression of a number of players who used to be key contributors and no genuine replacements or alternatives provided; Dele, Toby, Dier, Wanyama, Rose, Lloris.
- Going from the team in the league with the best full-backs (Rose / Walker) to the team in the league with the least effective full-backs (Rose / Aurier).

Probably even missed some stuff here but damn the list is long enough.

On the contrary, we are in uncharted territory....

(Who else lasted anything approaching 5 years????)
It’s the club that has the 5 year cycle not the manager, we get to a level then dip, we reinvent and go again, only at a slightly higher level than before.
2001-2019 followed a 5 year pattern:
Mid table.
UFEA cup regularly followed by a dip.
CL in and out followed by a dip.
CL regularly we are now in the dip.

Every one of those periods has coincided with the club getting stronger off the field, The next stage is to win trophies, and off the field we are now as strong as we have ever been and the next manager will be backed more than any that has gone before him, and our ability to attract one of the best managers has increased too, and with him an ability to attract good players to compliment what we already have.

As someone said elsewhere,the players don't look like they are enjoying it at the moment,with the exception of the Red Star game. This is a major factor in a team doing well.
I also think some players(Erikson) have had game time they shouldn't have and others(Dier) it's been limited when they should have had more. I believe with time in his DM role,we would see the player from a couple of seasons back again.

Our defence and holding midfield all got old at the same time, meaning we can no longer press up the pitch.

Having to defend deeper has the knock on effect of meaning when we do win the ball back its close to our own goal and the opposition can easily get 11 men back behind the ball.

Sort out LB, RB, LCB and DM either from our current group or signings and we'll be fine again.

Poch is clueless. That's it. He hasn't suddenly become clueless either, he always has been. I've said it for years. Somehow the team acheived despite it and he kept getting away with it. Now he is finally being found out.

the problem with that is people like Kane thinking 'sod this' and not wanting to waste anymore of their career.

Supporting spurs for 35+ years so have seen many ups and downs (mostly downs) but when we were so close to the next level, it's gut wrenching that we haven't kicked on. The eternal optimist in my feels we will show our intent in January and will have a good second half to the season. The realist knows it's going to be a long slog of a season...
Yeah I agree with you. To be frank, if it stayed this way, I couldn't blame the likes of Kane if they wanted out. I still have the feeling in the back of my mind that "SURELY this will turn around". I think it will, the question is when, and how.

I think the whole surprise is just how poor it has been this season. Well, this past calendar year. There are those of us that knew not spending money in those two transfer windows would come back to haunt us, but I didn't expect quite this bad quite so quickly.

It’s the club that has the 5 year cycle not the manager, we get to a level then dip, we reinvent and go again, only at a slightly higher level than before.
2001-2019 followed a 5 year pattern:
Mid table.
UFEA cup regularly followed by a dip.
CL in and out followed by a dip.
CL regularly we are now in the dip.

Every one of those periods has coincided with the club getting stronger off the field, The next stage is to win trophies, and off the field we are now as strong as we have ever been and the next manager will be backed more than any that has gone before him, and our ability to attract one of the best managers has increased too, and with him an ability to attract good players to compliment what we already have.

Gotcha...

What you've described there sounds fairly common for most teams tbh (subject to an obv. growth caveat)...

I pressume the hope/aim was for Poch to manage that 'rebuild'. However does the modern game even allow for such managerial longevity any more...?

Don't know if the vid has already been posted

Nothing we haven't seen or been guessing, but it does make a lot of sense

I didn't realise Pochettino that didn't travel back with the players after the Champions League Final.

I'm a big fan of Pochettino and I think he has done a great deal for the club but to not travel back with the players after the biggest game in the club's history really surprises and disappoints me.

It's a totally disrespectful way of treating the players and staff.

Sssssh.... That doesn't fit the narrative being pushed.

Still waiting for the oft accused embezzlement to show itself in the annual accounts tbh.

3fc7vs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom