What is going wrong??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3fc7vs.jpg

Grow up.

Gotcha...

What you've described there sounds fairly common for most teams tbh (subject to an obv. growth caveat)...

I pressume the hope/aim was for Poch to manage that 'rebuild'. However does the modern game even allow for such managerial longevity any more...?

as a group of fans I think we would have taken it on the chin... We know rebuilding is sometimes necessary and upsets things. I for one would be ok with a mid-table season if I felt we were moving in the right direction but it's the constant poor squad choices, formations and tactical nativity that is the concern...

as a group of fans I think we would have taken it on the chin... We know rebuilding is sometimes necessary and upsets things. I for one would be ok with a mid-table season if I felt we were moving in the right direction but it's the constant poor squad choices, formations and tactical nativity that is the concern...
Don't think anyone [correction: the vast majority] disagree with the outcomes. It's more what needs to change to achieve those same outcomes.

As much as we take the piss out of the NFL thing the stadium does allow us to buy players.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Fernandes here in January and the Ajax GK in summer.
I haven't seen anywhere that profits from the stadium will be re-invested into the Football Team.
Doesn't sound like something Levy would do.

Poch is clueless. That's it. He hasn't suddenly become clueless either, he always has been. I've said it for years. Somehow the team acheived despite it and he kept getting away with it. Now he is finally being found out.
I support Spurs and didn't realise that someone as gifted as you existed. Please could you call Daniel Levy and tell him you are available to coach the team to league and European cup success.
Should be a doddle - seeing as you have all the answers.

Quick tip, ask Sammy to join you, he knows fucking everything as well - between you we should be able to rule world football for decades.

Gotcha...

What you've described there sounds fairly common for most teams tbh (subject to an obv. growth caveat)...

I pressume the hope/aim was for Poch to manage that 'rebuild'. However does the modern game even allow for such managerial longevity any more...?
Not sure it does unless the manager them-self is able to morph into different versions. Guardiola has know this for a while. Klopp learnt the lesson after 7 years. Modern, high profile managers have a shelf life which is why Ferguson is perceived as amazing because he would swap out key players when he thought they were getting complacent.

That is not just magic sauce. You need to have a big budget and an infrastructure to attract the right players to do that. We don't have that. Not the failure of Poch or Levy to implement in the same way.

But absolutely the fault of both not to recognise the inevitable. Poch more than Levy in my view but there's no clear lines here.

Not sure it does unless the manager them-self is able to morph into different versions. Guardiola has know this for a while. Klopp learnt the lesson after 7 years. Modern, high profile managers have a shelf life which is why Ferguson is perceived as amazing because he would swap out key players when he thought they were getting complacent.

That is not just magic sauce. You need to have a big budget and an infrastructure to attract the right players to do that. We don't have that. Not the failure of Poch or Levy to implement in the same way.

But absolutely the fault of both not to recognise the inevitable. Poch more than Levy in my view but there's no clear lines here.

We did too well too soon. Victims of our own success.

I believe the infrastructure ENIC/Levy are building will benefit Spurs in the long run.
State of the art Stadium - check
State of the art facilities - check
Stadium used for NFL gives another source of income - check
Efforts to expand the brand globally - in progress
Gradually raising player wages - check
Spending more in the transfer market - signs of progress

Unless the team is bough by some Saudi prince, you have to gradually become a super club. it doesn't happen overnight and it doesn't happen without set backs.

In saying what I did, I had competetive pressure, player power/entitlement and such in mind, but yeh, entirely reasonable on your part...

Poch and Levy may not be a workable combination. Levy is reluctant to buy players. Poch is reluctant to use them. Only now is he giving Ndombele significant time, and only now are LC or Sess even getting on the pitch. A rebuild under Poch and Levy takes lots of time.

We did too well too soon. Victims of our own success.

I believe the infrastructure ENIC/Levy are building will benefit Spurs in the long run.
State of the art Stadium - check
State of the art facilities - check
Stadium used for NFL gives another source of income - check
Efforts to expand the brand globally - in progress
Gradually raising player wages - check
Spending more in the transfer market - signs of progress

Unless the team is bough by some Saudi prince, you have to gradually become a super club. it doesn't happen overnight and it doesn't happen without set backs.
Wasn't a case of too well too soon under ENIC we have never been on a fast path it has always been a slow slog, part of the problem was not investing in the team for two windows that was a terrible oversight which has in part set us back.

Wasn't a case of too well too soon under ENIC we have never been on a fast path it has always been a slow slog, part of the problem was not investing in the team for two windows that was a terrible oversight which has in part set us back.
Rob Peter to pay Paul. Unless you have unlimited millions.

I tend to agree.

Fergie is the shining example of having what it takes to rebuild and rebuild over a longer time-frame, but it seems even he began to realise the dynamic between players & coach was changing... Feels like a different era now. The prevalent short-termism in question (look at Chelsea & RM fer feck's sake!) transcends the game too.

Back
Top Bottom