What is our best first XI right now?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cravenspurs Cravenspurs
Issue with your team for me is lack of defensive midfielders. Sissoko is strong, and despite being a donkey on the ball, can protect the defence. Ndombele and Lo Celso imo need a licence to create, and that can only happen if someone stays back.

If I have to drop one from the three then it is Lamela and I put in Skipp. I know that Skipp would be a better option than Sissoko if given a run of games.

The preferred formation for the top teams these days is either 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 which is essentially the same thing really. Again all the top teams have a dedicated, great DM: Rodrigo, Fabinho, Casemiro, Busquets etc. We do not have one. Dier is the closest player who suits that position but he has too many deficiencies and unfortuently will always be carried in this team. Sissoko and Winks are also not suited to this position so that is why Mourinho is choosing to go with a combination of 2 of the 3. It’s not pretty but he realizes that our midfield is poor defensively so he’s trying to over compensate. This is an area of the field we will need to bolster but until then we’ll have to use the best of what we got. When we get a dedicated DM, we can then start playing Lo Celso and Ndombele in a midfield 3 but we could also play them against lesser teams.

Unfortuently Man U and Chelsea have found us out and Mourinho has tried to manage the game like a chess game whereas both of those teams just went all out. Our attack is flying right now and we have genuine world class players in Kane and Son so until the summer, we just need to outscore every team we play.

So in terms of our best 11 with the formation Mourinho has been using:

Aurier-Sanchez-Alderweireld-Vertoghen
—————Sissoko—Ndombele——————
Lo Celso——--—-Deli—-————Son
————————Kane————————

Although there’s serious question marks over Ndombele with the latest Mourinho comments. Really hope he doesn’t get frozen out and these injuries are just a phase.

If we want to move away from the slow plodding football we’re currently playing, Ndombele and GLC need to be integrated into the team asap. Then one of Winks, Dier or Sissoko to play alongside them.

Back
Top Bottom