What is our best first XI right now?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After the summer transfer window the area of the pitch I was most optimistic about was midfield, but unfortunately that's where we've struggled the most. We haven't been able to control games, and despite some good results under Jose, have been a bit reliant on some moments of magic, ie Dele's goal today.
I think Jose needs to realise that we need three men in midfield. He's appeared to prefer Dier and Sissoko, and as the defenders don't trust them, they launch long balls and we tend to lose possession too much.

This should be our formation for most of the games this season. In big games, Aurier OUT, put Foyth at RB, Vert at CB, and Rose at LB.

[FORMATION=433,Gazzaniga,Aurier,Alderweireld,Foyth,Vertonghen,Ndombele,Sissoko,Lo Celso,Alli,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]

After the summer transfer window the area of the pitch I was most optimistic about was midfield, but unfortunately that's where we've struggled the most. We haven't been able to control games, and despite some good results under Jose, have been a bit reliant on some moments of magic, ie Dele's goal today.
I think Jose needs to realise that we need three men in midfield. He's appeared to prefer Dier and Sissoko, and as the defenders don't trust them, they launch long balls and we tend to lose possession too much.

This should be our formation for most of the games this season. In big games, Aurier OUT, put Foyth at RB, Vert at CB, and Rose at LB.

[FORMATION=433,Gazzaniga,Aurier,Alderweireld,Foyth,Vertonghen,Ndombele,Sissoko,Lo Celso,Alli,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]
Dav??? He's been arguably the best defender this season. Anyway, the best 11 in my opinion is:
Gazza
Aurier-Sanchez-Toby-Jan
Ndombele-Sissoko-Lo Celso
Dele-Kane-Son

How many chances of this formation happening? Almost 0%.

Based on injuries etc? (meaning no Lloris?)

Gazzaniga*
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen
Dier
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Dele - Kane - Son
Obviously Lloris instead of Gazzaniga if everyone is fit. That back four is just by default. KWP needs a loan, Rose isn't good enough.

Don't particularly rate Dier but him just being there to shield and giving Ndombele or Lo Celso the ball to progress up field. Skipp to get a loan and 20+ games under his belt.

Front three picks itself.

I put Foyth ahead of Sanchez simply because I feel the latter is more prone to make silly errors despite being so athletically gifted. I'd like to see Foyth being given a chance.
As for Dier, totally disagree. His passing is dire, he can't time tackles these days anymore either, and nowhere near as strong and powerful as Sissoko.

Just put this in the match thread, but I think it could be interesting.

A 433 that more morphs to what we are currently playing which is three at the back.

Son Kane Dele
Lo Celso Ndombele Lamela
Verts Toby Sanchez Aurier
Gazza​

I really do think that if healthy, the middle three of Lo Celso, Ndombele, and Lamela would prove to be both tenacious and offensively dangerous. Would probably be asking too much out of Lamela to play a little less reckless since he would have more defensive shape responsibilities. But Lo Celso has played deep before and would have license to get foward a la David Silva.

This would only work if we played like we did in the second half today. We moved away from the long ball and played on the front foot, chasing the ball and winning it high up the pitch.

Best?
Aurier Toby Sanchez Davies
Lo Celso Ndombele
Son Dele Sessegnon
Kane

Didn’t include Lucas because he’s been poor lately.

Anyway if you want best balanced team maybe add Dier or Skipp for Sessegnon, switch Son to the left and GLC to the right.

I put Foyth ahead of Sanchez simply because I feel the latter is more prone to make silly errors despite being so athletically gifted.

Arguably our most consistent performer this season.

vs.

The man that undoubtedly tops our charts for brain-farts per minute

???

...Madness.

For me:

Gazza
Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Davies
Sissoko, Ndombele
Lucas, Dele, Son
Kane

Feel bad about Lo Celso but don't want to start him in front of Dele. I hope he can turn into a good RW or LW. He deserves to be a starter CAM somewhere though.
Such a weird purchase to me to spend that money and not upgrade the starting XI. Should have been an RB and CDM. Made me think Poch was going crazy when I heard it.

It shouldn’t be about eleven starters. Some of Mourinho’s substitutions have been brilliant. It’s a much bigger game than the starting eleven in my opinion. It’s the lack of cleverness in the substitutions that has cost us in the past.

But here’s mine anyway.

Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Jan, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Son, Dele and Kane.

Based on injuries etc? (meaning no Lloris?)

Gazzaniga*
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen
Dier
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Dele - Kane - Son
Obviously Lloris instead of Gazzaniga if everyone is fit. That back four is just by default. KWP needs a loan, Rose isn't good enough.

Don't particularly rate Dier but him just being there to shield and giving Ndombele or Lo Celso the ball to progress up field. Skipp to get a loan and 20+ games under his belt.

Front three picks itself.
Dier?? Hell no

-----------------Gazza----------------
Aurier----Toby----Sanchez---Vert
---------Sissoko--N'dombele-----
----------------Lo'Celso-----------
---------Alli-----------------Son----
-------------------Kane--------------

We literally have no one else besides failed winger or playing Winks in the holding role.

I'd prefer Skipp but that's probably not our best eleven.
We dont have a natural DM but ndombele and Sissoko have more then enough suitable attributes to keep us defensively solid. Add Lo Celso (or even Eriksen tbh) as a third midfielder and the mix is good for now.

Dier offers no defensive protection so what's the point? A 'defensive midfielder' that gets caught out of position every single time.

Back
Top Bottom