What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he's shown that he has a Plan B for about 2 and a half seasons now.

I think his plan Bs tend to be inconsistent. He takes way too long with subs. And his perseverance with this ducking diamond...

And in the Champions League final he didn’t really have a plan a...

Genuinely think we have a pretty nice shot at the champions league without injuries. League can’t see it
I agree - I don't expect to be in a final, but we've basically corrected the biggest hole in the squad (the entire fucking midfield), so I wouldn't be shocked to see us back in the semis, at which point any team can really win it.

I agree - I don't expect to be in a final, but we've basically corrected the biggest hole in the squad (the entire fucking midfield), so I wouldn't be shocked to see us back in the semis, at which point any team can really win it.

The biggest hole was a competent holding midfielder, but our weakest position was right back. We’ve fixed one, but made one worse...

City win the domestics because they are hungry for silverware....all silverware.

I think that plays the biggest part. If we took the FA Cup seriously, we would win it, and I dont see why it has to be at top 4s expense.

We could very realistically be champions of Europe right now with top 4, so I think winning a Carabou should be doable.
City won the FA cup because they played:

Rotherham United
Burnley
Newport County (away)
Swansea City (away)
Brighton
Watford

That was the biggest part, not "hunger" or "desire" or whatever moronic punditry the media spouts every year.

The biggest hole was a competent holding midfielder, but our weakest position was right back. We’ve fixed one, but made one worse...
The gap between Trippier and KWP/Foyth/Aurier is much smaller than the gap between Sissoko-Winks-AM and Ndombele-Winks-Lo Celso. We are slightly worse in one position and exponentially better in an entire position group. I think it's a huge net positive.

Odd.

His plan B alone got us to a Champions League final.

That was plan C, mate....

The 70's route one, big man flex. :angryscouser:

Both that and Plan B are pretty effective.. .As you said, Plan A; not so much. :eriksenserious:

That was players not giving up, particularly one player.Aside from picking the side and the half time team talk, that was down to who was on the pitch.That was not a plan. A joy to watch, but that wasnt a plan.

Must have forgotten our plan A in the first half to knock it long to Llorente on the bench.

My bad.

If we end up without a trophy but finish Top 4 again does that represent failure?

I'm not sure that it does.

If we win the League Cup will that silence the critics and satisfy a vocal minority of Spurs fans who almost seem embarrassed to support this great club?

Again, not that sure that it will.

Poch could go all out for the League and FA Cups but not sure it's worth it if it has a detrimental affect on our PL and CL campaigns. He should continue to rotate the squad until we are deep in either competition imo. What will be will be.

Whether we finish second or fourth doesn't matter that much as we won't win the league anyway, I would rather finish fourth and win the FA Cup. Anything more than the quarter finals in the CL would be a bonus, not much has changed in that regard.

Borderline deluded to think that Poch all of a sudden has got more than a puncher's chance to win the league or CL this season.

I don't think winning the league cup will silence the critics or satisfy certain fans. The FA cup may please the latter, but still wont silence the critics
Modern football is all about the title and the Champions league unfortunately.

If we end up without a trophy but finish Top 4 again does that represent failure?

I'm not sure that it does.

If we win the League Cup will that silence the critics and satisfy a vocal minority of Spurs fans who almost seem embarrassed to support this great club?

Again, not that sure that it will.

Poch could go all out for the League and FA Cups but not sure it's worth it if it has a detrimental affect on our PL and CL campaigns. He should continue to rotate the squad until we are deep in either competition imo. What will be will be.

For me the league is simply bread and butter; we live it from week to week... Finishing as high as possible isn't exclusively about CL qualification as far as I'm concerned. It's what truly defines our 'level'... Our marker.

As our critics will eagerly point out, CL final doesn't mean we're second best in Europe (similarly Liverpool arent the best for winning it) nor does a domestic cup mean we'd be amongst the UK's finest.

I don't think winning the league cup will silence the critics or satisfy certain fans. The FA cup may please the latter, but still wont silence the critics
Modern football is all about the title and the Champions league unfortunately.

By the same token EPL > CL too.

For me the league is simply bread and butter; we live it from week to week... Finishing as high as possible isn't exclusively about CL qualification as far as I'm concerned. It's what truly defines our 'level'... Our marker.

As our critics will eagerly point out, CL final doesn't mean we're second best in Europe (similarly Liverpool arent the best for winning it) nor does a domestic cup mean we'd be amongst the UK's finest.

Of course, the league table never lies and you finish where you deserve to finish.

Don't get me wrong it would be great to see us lift either domestic cup or even both but neither are our priorities this season not over finishing Top 4 and going as far as possible in the CL.

Back
Top Bottom