What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has been positive about us before saying that we are one of his favourite teams to watch.

The point is he recognises our quality - he isn’t saying that about others much like Mourhino only considers us, Liverpool and City as title challengers this season. The games most successful managers think the we have the players to win major titles but seemingly supporters do not.

If you wanna take Guardiola's forked-toungue comments as genuine then that's your own look out, but beyond that what are you talking about?

A minority of pundits and media say we are good enough to challenge.... That doesn't magically equate to your stance that if we don't win it the gaffer is a failure.

We haven't even played a single domestic cup game at this point. Save the whining for when we get knocked out at the very least!

FFS.

But yeah, if we finish Top 4 but win nowt I'll be outside The Lane waving "Levy Out" and "Go Home Poch" placards alongside anyone else that thinks he's no longer fit to be our manager.

Satisfied?!

Moaning about something before it's even happened, fucking weirdos.

Who started this stupid thread in the first place? Shame on you mate, shame on you.

The thread was to find out what everyone's expectations were for this season with the new influx of players. Read the thread starter again in which I said :

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish .
I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet.

Now kindly explain to me how that is in any way moaning or being negative ??. Shame on you for not understanding the context of the thread and using what you perceive as negative comments on here as directly attributable to me for asking the question. It only becomes a 'stupid' thread when it receives 'stupid' posts such as yours.

We haven't even played a single domestic cup game at this point. Save the whining for when we get knocked out at the very least!

FFS.

But yeah, if we finish Top 4 but win nowt I'll be outside The Lane waving "Levy Out" and "Go Home Poch" placards alongside anyone else that thinks he's no longer fit to be our manager.

Satisfied?!

Who started this stupid thread in the first place? Shame on you mate, shame on you.

Bit of an overreaction here to be fair. :troll:

FFS.

Satisfied?!

Jesus Christ do you actually read anything - the thread is about the expectations on our managers for the season ahead. It based on what has happened previously and how this effects this and what is required going forward.

But you don’t actually care about that do you do You?. It’s a thread critiquing our manager and despite him being her six seasons you still cannot bring yourself to do this. Fine don’t participate then and save us from this pathetic whinging because god forbid there are actual Spurs supporters who want to identity why the club isn’t winning silverware and where the fault may lie.

The thread was to find out what everyone's expectations were for this season with the new influx of players. Read the thread starter again in which I said :

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish .
I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet.

Now kindly explain to me how that is in any way moaning or being negative ??. Shame on you for not understanding the context of the thread and using what you perceive as negative comments on here as directly attributable to me for asking the question. It only becomes a 'stupid' thread when it receives 'stupid' posts such as yours.

It's mainly the "no excuses" tag-line that peeps are reacting to, mate...

We typically have an aims & expectations thread at the beginning of every season; just not framed in such a way.

Actually I was referring to the resident moany bitches like The Hood and Sammy not your good self.

Perhaps your intentions were pure but it was pretty obvious that this particular thread would attract such regularly negative posters.

I'll say it was more naiveté on your part rather than anything sinister.

So wind your neck in mate!

If you wanna take Guardiola's forked-toungue comments as genuine then that's your own look out, but beyond that what are you talking about?

A minority of pundits and media say we are good enough to challenge.... That doesn't magically equate to your stance that if we don't win it the gaffer is a failure.

It’s not a minority it’s the majority - everyone acknowledges the quality of this side and nearly everyone in the media acknowledges that this team needs to win silverware ( because they can see the quality we have.)

When you have a group of players that we do that consistently fails to win anything then rightly questions should be asked about the manager. It’s beyond belief that so many of our supporters refuse to do this which is why I question where their loyalty lies. Is it with Tottenham Hotspur or Mauricio Pochettino?

Jesus Christ do you actually read anything - the thread is about the expectations on our managers for the season ahead. It based on what has happened previously and how this effects this and what is required going forward.

But you don’t actually care about that do you do You?. It’s a thread critiquing our manager and despite him being her six seasons you still cannot bring yourself to do this. Fine don’t participate then and save us from this pathetic whinging because god forbid there are actual Spurs supporters who want to identity why the club isn’t winning silverware and where the fault may lie.

I can criticise him if you like, for one I think he got the team selection wrong for the CL final (playing Kane instead of Moura) and wrong subs (bringing off Winks instead of Dele) but overall he's been magnificent for our club and the vast majority of Spurs fans recognise and appreciate this.

You on the other hand just like to whine like the little bitch that you are.

It's mainly the "no excuses" tag-line that peeps are reacting to, mate...

We typically have an aims & expectations thread at the beginning of every season; just not framed in such a way.

Yes I admitted earlier it was bad phrasing on my part which is why I used the term 'having less reasons to explain failure' later on. My apologies for that and a lesson learnt. My point was that as we try to give Poch everything he requires to make us a successful club he has less and less opportunities to use determining factors outside of his realm of responsibility as the explanation should we not at least match last season's performance levels. How's that :thumbup:

Actually I was referring to the resident moany bitches like The Hood and Sammy not your good self.

Perhaps your intentions were pure but it was pretty obvious that this particular thread would attract such regularly negative posters.

I'll say it was more naiveté on your part rather than anything sinister.

So wind your neck in mate!

In fairness you posted :

So my neck naturally extended ;) but yes my intentions were pure and it was to try and gauge realistic expectations for next season based on Poch finally receiving the backing for new players and no longer able to use that as a reason for possibly under achieving.
Neck duly wound back in..........:thumbup:

It is expected that players and manager have learned from their mistakes and shortcomings in the previous few seasons, now that they are more experienced and matured foresee to deliver, no more excuses.

Yes I admitted earlier it was bad phrasing on my part which is why I used the term 'having less reasons to explain failure' later on. My apologies for that and a lesson learnt. My point was that as we try to give Poch everything he requires to make us a successful club he has less and less opportunities to use determining factors outside of his realm of responsibility as the explanation should we not at least match last season's performance levels. How's that :thumbup:

I haven't reacted to or previously condemned it either way, but even your revised phrasing still projects an expectation of failure...

A simple "Aims & Expectations for the coming season?" woulda been far less loaded/combustible(*) for some and served the same purpose to set the thread off, but it's not my point here to tell you what to do.

(*What we've spent would simply be your justification for your personal expectations.)

p.s. No-one would have court-martialed you for editing the thread title. :sonpoint:

I can criticise him if you like, for one I think he got the team selection wrong for the CL final (playing Kane instead of Moura) and wrong subs (bringing off Winks instead of Dele) but overall he's been magnificent for our club and the vast majority of Spurs fans recognise and appreciate this.

You on the other hand just like to whine like the little bitch that you are.

So in the six seasons he has been here the main gripe for you is team selection and subs? Hilarious.

So what you are essentially is that there is no merit in any of these concerns?

The fact that we are the only top 6 side without a trophy to its name is perfectly fine.

The fact that the club is on its longest silverware drought since the 1930s is nothing major.

Nope according to the MDG there is no problems here.

According to MDG the priority this season is not winning a cup - it’s finishing in the top 4 and having a CL campaign.

You cannot make it up - it’s says it all about the modern football fan.

In fairness you posted :

So my neck naturally extended ;) but yes my intentions were pure and it was to try and gauge realistic expectations for next season based on Poch finally receiving the backing for new players and no longer able to use that as a reason for possibly under achieving.
Neck duly wound back in..........:thumbup:

Yeah, I meant to add a wink to the end of that as I wasn't really having a go at you or at least didn't mean to. You're alright!

But....

Have we underachieved though? I'm not sure I agree with that. Is the League Cup really all that? Even the FA Cup has lost much of its lustre. I would be happy if we win either but not going to cream my knickers should we do so!

It’s not a minority it’s the majority - everyone acknowledges the quality of this side and nearly everyone in the media acknowledges that this team needs to win silverware ( because they can see the quality we have.)

My perception is that most still see it as a 2 horsed race and will eagerly cite the "26 point gap" and how much ahead Liverpool are, let alone the blatantly better equipped City.

Anyway, this is besides the point i began discussing with you....

When you have a group of players that we do that consistently fails to win anything then rightly questions should be asked about the manager. It’s beyond belief that so many of our supporters refuse to do this which is why I question where their loyalty lies. Is it with Tottenham Hotspur or Mauricio Pochettino?

Yep.. Your underlying position is clear as day... You've said this constantly ever since you arrived here.

I just answered the question you posed earlier. As already stated, you however wanted an answer to a different question all along.

Last edited:
I know we spent more than usual hence expectations are high but I don’t think our position in the table will change much and we shouldn’t expect Poch to make a dramatic improvement.

The reality of modern football is that you have to keep investing and moving forward just to stay where you are in terms of competitiveness - yes we spent a lot on Ndombele and Lo Celso but everyone around us is spending just as much and been acquiring players every window while we haven’t been.

If we’re 3rd in the table but we’re closer behind Pool and City, I’d call that a successful season. Maybe we could expect more next season when we have a new right back and the new players have adapted.

So in the six seasons he has been here the main gripe for you is team selection and subs? Hilarious.

So what you are essentially is that there is no merit in any of these concerns?

The fact that we are the only top 6 side without a trophy to its name is perfectly fine.

The fact that the club is on its longest silverware drought since the 1930s is nothing major.

Nope according to the MDG there is no problems here.

According to MDG the priority this season is not winning a cup - it’s finishing in the top 4 and having a CL campaign.

You cannot make it up - it’s says it all about the modern football fan.

No, I said the priority isn't in trying to win a domestic cup but rather to finish as high up in the league as possible AND do well in the CL.

If a domestic cup is won then great but I'm not going to be screaming for Poch's head if we fail to do so.

Also, check our history. We've had little periods where we've won a few trophies but we have two league titles to our name. That's not solely down to Levy and Poch is it?

You're just being a complete and utter dick as per fucking usual.

Okay I'll rephrase it, fully accountable but with less reasons to explain away failure if we do not achieve top four or a trophy this season thereby making him as the manager more accountable directly

We’ve turned into Newcastle and Liverpool....we are now one of the clubs that the manager is not accountable for anything that happens on the pitch unless it’s good of course.

Play shit tactics for an hour and nearly lose
“At least he fixed it so he’s magic”

Play players out of position to their detriment
“We had injuries and fatigue and Levy didn’t back him”

Could have play him or him or him
“Not good enough”

Thats because they don’t get game time
“Must be their attitude, you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes”

Neither do you
“Why do you hate Poch and want him sacked you gooner cunt”

:adesalute:

I haven't reacted to or previously condemned it either way, but even your revised phrasing still projects an expectation of failure...

A simple "Aims & Expectations for the coming season?" woulda been far less loaded/combustible(*) for some and served the same purpose to set the thread off, but it's not my point here to tell you what to do.

(*What we've spent would simply be your justification for your personal expectations.)

p.s. No-one would have court-martialed you for editing the thread title. :sonpoint:
Sorry thought I was back on SC for a minute. Okay, let's live a little and change the title.
How's that everyone ?? (That felt soooooo good knowing I wasn't going to get a bollocking from A&C)
Apologies again for using the word 'excuses' as Airfixx Airfixx quite rightly pointed out that might well imply expectations of failure and that's the last thing I personally foresee this season.
:coys:

Back
Top Bottom