What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Borodin55

Carpe Diem
For quite a few seasons now we have praised Poch on the way in which he has somehow managed to progress with the first team despite considerably limited financial and personnel resources. He has been able to create a team spirit and a self belief amongst the players that has defied all odds when compared to many of our major big spending rivals. It is a credit to his management ability and something as a supporter I shall always be grateful for and value highly.

This transfer window Spurs have at last brought in some fresh faces to hopefully take the club over that elusive finishing line to a title or trophy win. Having done so has that in any way put Poch under more pressure this season because the expectations are naturally higher with new additions to the squad ?

Would we regard another top four place and a creditable run in cup competitions but no silverware as acceptable or should we now expect more of Poch ?. Has Levy given him his full backing by bringing in the new guys and if so is he also expecting an improvement upon last season ?

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish. Cup competitions are unpredictable things (especially with the introduction of VAR) but I feel Poch now has the squad depth to vary formation and team selection to suit the opposition we come up against. There is now an uncertainty for our opponents regarding who they will be facing and that can only increase our chances of success.

I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet. Should we not achieve top three and/or a trophy win then I would be very interested to hear how Poch would evaluate the season and his reasons (I shall not say excuses) for not doing so.

I agree and think we will maybe finish 2nd and give Shitty a fright

At least semis in CL

Another good season of over achieving thanks to Poch

Let’s fuck up Shitty on Saturday
COYS

Villa spent 150M so I don't think us spending even less than that means much more pressure.

Whilst City remains a toy of the sheik we can just do what we can to play some good football and have a little fun along the way. It is what it is.

Looking forward to plenty of highs and lows this season. Perhaps with a good crack at a domestic cup for a change.

The only pressure that Poch has on him is what he puts on his own shoulders. If we get top 4 then Levy et al will be happy.

I think that the players will be up for it - they had a taste of Champions league final and that sort of buzz is like a drug so hopefully they can kick on from here.

Can't say personally that I think our chances this season are significantly improved over any of the previous recent seasons - we've always been just behind City and more recently Liverpool and that is still the case to be honest.

Looking forward to putting them under a bit of pressure, sure, but I can't imagine many Spurs fans genuinely think we should be winning the league or CL this season.

FA or League Cup however is very do-able and would be nice at least.

Reads thread title ......reads post.

Sees last paragraph.

:sonhmm:

Great click bait. Well done.

Do you know what 'click bait' really is ?

Content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.

Damn, I must have forgotten to post the 'link' :thumbdown:

For quite a few seasons now we have praised Poch on the way in which he has somehow managed to progress with the first team despite considerably limited financial and personnel resources. He has been able to create a team spirit and a self belief amongst the players that has defied all odds when compared to many of our major big spending rivals. It is a credit to his management ability and something as a supporter I shall always be grateful for and value highly.

This transfer window Spurs have at last brought in some fresh faces to hopefully take the club over that elusive finishing line to a title or trophy win. Having done so has that in any way put Poch under more pressure this season because the expectations are naturally higher with new additions to the squad ?

Would we regard another top four place and a creditable run in cup competitions but no silverware as acceptable or should we now expect more of Poch ?. Has Levy given him his full backing by bringing in the new guys and if so is he also expecting an improvement upon last season ?

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish. Cup competitions are unpredictable things (especially with the introduction of VAR) but I feel Poch now has the squad depth to vary formation and team selection to suit the opposition we come up against. There is now an uncertainty for our opponents regarding who they will be facing and that can only increase our chances of success.

I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet. Should we not achieve top three and/or a trophy win then I would be very interested to hear how Poch would evaluate the season and his reasons (I shall not say excuses) for not doing so.

I think we still need to be realistic about the teams above us and around us. We are still bedding into the new stadium, still have question marks over Jan, Toby and most importantly Christian and don't have the right to say a trophy is an absolute must with us still being the 6th biggest team economically and based on standings the 4th best team in the country.

I do think the time has come to see a bit of silverware coming into the club but if it's top 3 and a final I think that's a fair return. Clearly I want more but realistically 3rd place and a cup would be class. Much will depend on the luck of the draw so I won't get wrapped up in the need for a trophy that much, league is still the priority no matter how much we fancy a parade down the high road,

There's a very long response I could put out on this but I'll keep it short. We are 1 game in to the season, we have bought players who need to bed in and we don't have a picture of how we and other teams are consistently performing at the moment.

The question of how we judge Poch will be how we adapt our system when things don't work, the ability of the squad to cope with injury and the frequency of playing staff being injured. How motivated the team are, how they respond to defeat in terms of physical and mental resilience.

Long story short, it's not about the final page of the season, it's how we get there. It's a question of merit but the timing looks a bit off to me!

There's a very long response I could put out on this but I'll keep it short. We are 1 game in to the season, we have bought players who need to bed in and we don't have a picture of how we and other teams are consistently performing at the moment.

The question of how we judge Poch will be how we adapt our system when things don't work, the ability of the squad to cope with injury and the frequency of playing staff being injured. How motivated the team are, how they respond to defeat in terms of physical and mental resilience.

Long story short, it's not about the final page of the season, it's how we get there. It's a question of merit but the timing looks a bit off to me!

My question is really do we have a right to expect/demand more than we achieved last season now that money has been spent on new players ? Have they been bought to take us that step forward or merely to allow us to keep up with our rivals ?

The only thing for sure I can say about this season is that it would be fucking appalling if we finished below Fat Frank and Chelsea. But if Man Utd or Woolwich get their shit together, it could be a battle to remain in the in the CL places.

To finish in the top 4 would still represent an excellent season. It would only take one year of that shit show that is the Europa League to make you realise this.

I think you've pretty much said what I was already thinking there!

The CL campaign, I hope, won't be judged entirely by how far we get - lest our fanbase is probably in for disappointment. We could objectively play better in europe this season but not make it as far. We had to pull off some goddamn miracles last season, and if we win more matches with dominant performances then I'd see it as improvement.

Regarding domestic cups: if Poch takes them seriously and that translates to the on field performance then I'm happy. While he did previously downplay/trivialise domestic cups before, we've all seen his quotes in the last week and the apparent change in mindset. We'll find out soon enough if he really meant it.

League campaign: we had an astonishing number of points halfway through last season without necessarily playing well enough to merit it. A lot of chickens came home to roost in the second half when our form collapsed.
Quite frankly, we need to make our football good again and if these new signings don't help spark that then some questions need answered.

My question is really do we have a right to expect/demand more than we achieved last season now that money has been spent on new players ? Have they been bought to take us that step forward or merely to allow us to keep up with our rivals ?

The reality is that time will tell.

In terms of what I think we should expect, I think we have strengthened, I think 3rd is a reasonable league goal, a good European run and one of the domestic cups would represent progression.

The problem is that our rivals, bar chelsea, have strengthened too. The question has to be, who has been most effective? 2 of our big signings have not kicked a ball yet and we have Son and Dele to come back too. I think our performance this year hinges on these two being the difference, not to discount the other players of course.

The problem is, there's just too many variables to say what is good for the season as the past season is not a great basis for predictions, especially when you consider our tail end league form.

5 seasons.
1x Premier league runner up
2x lost finals
3x lost semi finals

You can blame Poch or the players for not getting one of those over the line really.
Got to fancy us to have another sniff of silverware this season.
Wasn't until his 7th season that Ferguson won the league - 13th for a Champions League.

Poch has been massive for us. But so were Harry and Jol in terms of progress.

I would love Poch to stay and pick up the trophies he deserves.
But if he were to leave, there would be a manager coming in taking on a side in a much better position than when he first arrived.

Certainly believe in life after Poch, scary as that sounds.
I think the most he could get away with without getting sacked or leaving is champions league qualification or an FA Cup win providing we are in the top 6.

Overly dramatic.

He's the best manager we've had in decades.

If we don't win a trophy, we'll just have to evaluate how the season went overall. But on the surface, another season of top four and a good cup run (even if it ends without silverware) would be a good season.

Overly dramatic.

He's the best manager we've had in decades.

If we don't win a trophy, we'll just have to evaluate how the season went overall. But on the surface, another season of top four and a good cup run (even if it ends without silverware) would be a good season.
Amen. This isn’t a soap opera. I personally find it annoying when people try to create these sorts of narratives.

Why create a thread whose only purpose is to create a negative feedback? If you wanted a discussion thread on what is a realistic target then say that ... heading it with "No Excuses" that's just lame ...

City have spent 800m more than us on building their squad ... we have no right to beat them in any competition and unfortunately they're in all the same ones as us ... it's like asking a Porsche GTRS to beat a Bugatti Veyron, fast as the Porsche is and as good as the driver might be, something would need to go wrong with Veyron for the Porsche to have any realistic chance ....

If Poch gets us top three and some decent cup action ... what more can we reasonably expect?

Excuse is of course the wrong word. At the end of the season it is right to evaluate the reasons for not winning a trophy.

Last season we were hit with unexpected injuries to first team choices in Alli, Kane, Jan, Dier and Aurier. Lamela, Wanyama also out but you could argue that it was 'expected'.

Also we unexpectedly did much better in the champions league. This diverted attention away from the EPL since our heads dropped after the Burnley game.

You could argue that the failure last season was the inability to motivate the players to perform in the EPL towards the end of the season.

Bar Alli, it seems the squad is currently fit - with Wanyama, Aurier due back shortly and Foyth not far away. The key will be to evaluate our position come January and; if we are still in with a chance at EPL and ECL - we can spend.

Excuse is of course the wrong word. At the end of the season it is right to evaluate the reasons for not winning a trophy.

Last season we were hit with unexpected injuries to first team choices in Alli, Kane, Jan, Dier and Aurier. Lamela, Wanyama also out but you could argue that it was 'expected'.

Also we unexpectedly did much better in the champions league. This diverted attention away from the EPL since our heads dropped after the Burnley game.

You could argue that the failure last season was the inability to motivate the players to perform in the EPL towards the end of the season.

Bar Alli, it seems the squad is currently fit - with Wanyama, Aurier due back shortly and Foyth not far away. The key will be to evaluate our position come January and; if we are still in with a chance at EPL and ECL - we can spend.

Our players were exhausted at the end of the season. We had no depth. Couldn’t reasonably expect them to go balls to the wall for every game at the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom