What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's incredibly hard to win a trophy - and all teams need help from lady luck along the way (some need more help than others).

One day she will smile on us.

Until that day arrives all we need to do is criticise, moan, gripe, abuse each other and melt, as all genuine supporters should.

Poch out.

It's incredibly hard to win a trophy - and all teams need help from lady luck along the way (some need more help than others).

One day she will smile on us.

Until that day arrives all we need to do is criticise, moan, gripe, abuse each other and melt, as all genuine supporters should.

Poch out.
Sarnie thieves out too

at the risk of repeating everyone else, it entirely depends on what happens with the rest of the window, but assuming everyone stays put, then a genuine title challenge and/or trophy should be minimum aim. Problem was that the such was the clusterfuck around squad improvements/contracts over the past two years that we left ourselves an awful lot to do in the summer. Realistically we weren't ever going to be able to resolve every issue but i'm happy with what we did do, so long as Toby and CE stay put. This squad is quality, even if a bit light in certain areas.

No excuses we must win trophies.

There are only two that matter these days. We do not have the depth to successfully challenge in the two cups that, ultimately, aside from a shiny trophy represent a huge waste of resources.

The financial reward to the FA Cup versus success in the Premier League and Champions League is microscopic. Whether we like it or not. City aside, typically the domestic cup winners have not faired well in the league or Europe for the last few years.

I'm always disappointed when we don't win a trophy, we've been capable of winning trophies since Jol at various times. The soul focus from the top though as been the top 4 because that makes money. That attitude filters down to Poch which in turn filters down to the players and that in turn filters down to fans. Finishing top 4 is great but it's not a trophy, it is an opportunity to enter a competition where we can win a trophy..
I think winning 3 trophies in a decade is one that is achievable , we should have done that by now.

In the real world, finishing top four is a successful season. Of course, I would like to win a trophy, but not at the expense of missing out on CL. Ledley made valid points about how difficult it is, when one club made a clean sweep of all the domestic titles last season, and I bet that not many people will be surprised if they do it again.
It takes about a decade of CL football to reap the benefits, even then, we won't match the income of the Manchester clubs.
I'm content with challenging for the EPL and a decent run in the CL. If that makes me lacking in ambition, so be it.

I'm always disappointed when we don't win a trophy, we've been capable of winning trophies since Jol at various times. The soul focus from the top though as been the top 4 because that makes money. That attitude filters down to Poch which in turn filters down to the players and that in turn filters down to fans. Finishing top 4 is great but it's not a trophy, it is an opportunity to enter a competition where we can win a trophy..
I think winning 3 trophies in a decade is one that is achievable , we should have done that by now.
We’ve had a squad capable of top 4 as well as a trophy for years now.

How many finals and semi finals have we bottled since Redknapp?
People seem to think you need a squad worth several billion to finish 4th and take home the Carabou in the same season.

When the manager says it’s not worth winning the FA Cup because it’s just ego boosting and “where are Wigan now”, we’ll theres your “excuse”...

In the real world, finishing top four is a successful season. Of course, I would like to win a trophy, but not at the expense of missing out on CL. Ledley made valid points about how difficult it is, when one club made a clean sweep of all the domestic titles last season, and I bet that not many people will be surprised if they do it again.
It takes about a decade of CL football to reap the benefits, even then, we won't match the income of the Manchester clubs.
I'm content with challenging for the EPL and a decent run in the CL. If that makes me lacking in ambition, so be it.
City win the domestics because they are hungry for silverware....all silverware.

I think that plays the biggest part. If we took the FA Cup seriously, we would win it, and I dont see why it has to be at top 4s expense.

We could very realistically be champions of Europe right now with top 4, so I think winning a Carabou should be doable.

There are only two that matter these days. We do not have the depth to successfully challenge in the two cups that, ultimately, aside from a shiny trophy represent a huge waste of resources.

The financial reward to the FA Cup versus success in the Premier League and Champions League is microscopic. Whether we like it or not. City aside, typically the domestic cup winners have not faired well in the league or Europe for the last few years.

We must win trophies under this regime and dismiss all excuses.

Sorry but what the fuck is this shit? The season has barely begun and some people are talking about trophies and what constitutes a good season.

FFS, chill my fellow Yids. We haven't even entered either domestic cup yet nor had the draw for the CL group stage. It's too early to start worrying about such things.

Poch has done an unbelievable job and we're incredibly lucky to have him. The man just oozes class and is easily the best manager we have had in my lifetime.

A trophy would be nice but I just want us to play good football, win lots of matches and finish as high as possible in the league. Fuck knows we may win the treble this season or nowt again, right now though nothing has been decided and everything is possible.

Let's just focus on Citeh tomorrow and hope that we play with confidence, intelligence and no little bravery and give them a bloody hard game.

COYS

This is football, anyone who's a genuine supporter knows that you can't have expectations in the sport because anything can happen, that's part of the fun. As fans we should have hopes and dreams, but not expectations.

Personally I'm not of the mindset that Poch has to prove himself or achieve something within a certain timeframe. He just has to do the best his can with the resources we have available. I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't get top 4 and have a good run in the CL, but I won't hold it against anyone at the club. I'd love a domestic cup or two soon as well, but not at the expense of the PL or CL.

Whilst we have improved the squad this summer, we are still weak in defence so I don't think we're ready yet to be winning the league or CL. I think we're only, a season or two away from that and I'd prefer Poch stay with us for the next few years to hopefully see us through that.

I also genuinely believe that we can't get anyone better at the moment. I think if we hold targets against him then let him go we're going to be shooting ourselves in the foot and unsettle the club. We risk putting ourselves into a downward spiral. I'd rather give Poch more time than risk that.

Sorry but what the fuck is this shit? The season has barely begun and some people are talking about trophies and what constitutes a good season.

FFS, chill my fellow Yids. We haven't even entered either domestic cup yet nor had the draw for the CL group stage. It's too early to start worrying about such things.

Poch has done an unbelievable job and we're incredibly lucky to have him. The man just oozes class and is easily the best manager we have had in my lifetime.

A trophy would be nice but I just want us to play good football, win lots of matches and finish as high as possible in the league. Fuck knows we may win the treble this season or nowt again, right now though nothing has been decided and everything is possible.

Let's just focus on Citeh tomorrow and hope that we play with confidence, intelligence and no little bravery and give them a bloody hard game.

COYS

Some people are a little tired of little old Spurs being satisfied to put up a good fight but ultimately lose though.

Eriksen certainly seems tired of it....why can’t the fans be then?

Would take a top 3 finish and a good run in the cups. Hopefully winning one.

Would be nice to see Lloris and Vertonghen get their hands on a trophy.

Back
Top Bottom