What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In all honesty unless FA comes down hard on Man$$ity, we (or other Top 5 clubs) cannot hope to smash those cheaters off the throne. Last year Man$$ity took 98 points INSPITE of losing their most creative player for over 2/3 of the season to injury and another key player losing his head. With the 1st team in full strength, I don't see Liverpool giving them much of chase this season or next... so long as Pep stays on.

Limitless Money + Mancini or Pellegrini = threat to win EPL.
Limitless Money + Pep = Utter domination of EPL.

I am hoping either FA or UEFA comes hard on Man$$ity or Pep gets bored and leave Man$$ity for REAL challenge. That being said, I think we can challenge for 2nd place finish (which in my mind is really winning the PL). Liverpool is NOT light years better than us, we can over take them..

I’ll ask again:
Why did people want new top players and large investment and are pleeeeeeeeeading for us to keep Eriksen when they are happy not winning anything?

You think we bought Ndombele to crash out of the FA Cup and scrape 4th?

Even the manager says we need trophies....what you DISAGREE with Poch now!!!??????!!!!!

I don’t care about what our supporters wear or how they talk - I look for if there is any merit in what they say.

Kroenke has been a disaster for Woolwich, Wenger stayed on far longer than he should. Everyone could see that - it’s why none of us want Kroenke to go. If we had a club owner like that I would fully expect the supporter base to air their grievances and I wouldn’t sneer at our supporters from certain backgrounds with a pretentious middle class lense like you do.

But you’re a model supporter aren’t you? I’m getting this wrong - I thought the supporters were the custodians of the club whose job is to hold the people in charge to account. Silly me I have got it all wrong - it’s all about giving blind support and having no expectations.

Yes, I'm sneering at you and not at all pointing out that you're a miserable git looking to point the finger at the first opportunity like some entitled manchild.

Yes, I'm sneering at you and not at all pointing out that you're a miserable git looking to point the finger at the first opportunity like some entitled manchild.
But be honest....you wouldn’t give a fuck if he was slagging off Levy.....or Dier......but when it’s Poch, suddenly everyone gets offended and no one wants a trophy.

You’re right I’m a terrible supporter - I mean just how entitled can we get to expect one of the best sides in the league to like actually win something! Crazy talk.

We won a league cup in 2008 and beat a side with a billionaire owner to do that and yet we still want more. Unbelievable.

If only some didn’t have such short memories - do they not remember the ‘90s - that’s only 20 years ago. Look how far we have come since then. We should never forget Gerry Francis or Christian Gross and all future expectation levels should be set around that.

£8m a year allows you to develop an extremely thick skin I would imagine. To be fair I cannot recall the last time he was interviewed and 'lost it'. This is the nearest he's come recently (Sep 2018) and it can hardly be considered a rant. In fact it's a very eloquent request for some respect from the media.

But be honest....you wouldn’t give a fuck if he was slagging off Levy.....or Dier......but when it’s Poch, suddenly everyone gets offended and no one wants a trophy.

To be honest, if things don't work out someone gets the blame. Sometimes fairly, sometimes not, it's more the idea that we should be looking to blame one individual when things go to shit and be that Levy, Dier, Poch or the Team Doctor, it's not helpful.

In your normal working life when something goes wrong is it piled on to one person then they're blamed then problem solved? Things aren't normally that binary, it's not to say people don't deserve constructive critique or could not have done better but the idea of playing the blame game does not often fix the problem, it just allows you to have a scapegoat.

A good example might be the Villa goal last week, was it Rose committing too soon, poor positioning by Sanchez? In context it only matters if we don't learn from that and let in a similar goal next game.

You’re right I’m a terrible supporter - I mean just how entitled can we get to expect one of the best sides in the league to like actually win something! Crazy talk.

We won a league cup in 2008 and beat a side with a billionaire owner to do that and yet we still want more. Unbelievable.

If only some didn’t have such short memories - do they not remember the ‘90s - that’s only 20 years ago. Look how far we have come since then. We should never forget Gerry Francis or Christian Gross and all future expectation levels should be set around that.

Here is the thing, though I think your outlook is completely at odds with mine I don't think you're a terrible supporter.

The expectations you hold so dear are a rope to lynch whoever you blame for failure, you give the idea that you're just lining up all the people you want denounce when it doesn't work out. That the club somehow owes you for the barren years, it doesn't and if that's eating you up so badly, I wonder why you're continuing to follow us, how are you going to cope if the next 10 years are the same as the last?

It’s not only that but it the outright derision shown by some towards the league cup and even the FA cup - tournaments that have defined this clubs history. It’s absolutely appalling for a Spurs supporter to do such a thing.

The games has gone absolutely mad- there was a thread on Spurs community a while back with an article that stated that this Spurs team didn’t need to win silverware to be considered successful and it had about 30 likes! 30!. I never thought I would have to argue with our supporters about the importance of actually winning trophies. Mad times

Last edited:
It’s not only that but it the outright derision shown by some towards the league cup and even the FA cup - tournaments that have defined this clubs history. It’s absolutely appalling for a Spurs supporter to do such a thing.

The games has gone absolutely mad- there was a thread on Spurs community a while back with article that stated that this Spurs didn’t need to win silverware to be considered successful and it had about 30 likes. I never thought I would have to argue with our supporters about the importance of actually winning trophies. Mad times

Remember when Leicester winning the PL didn’t matter because hahahahaha they’ll never win it again and we’ll be around for decades...........patting ourselves on the back for trying

Remember when Leicester winning the PL didn’t matter because hahahahaha they’ll never win it again and we’ll be around for decades...........patting ourselves on the back for trying

Don’t mention Leicester for god sake they don’t like it renders the whole poor little Tottenham battling against the financial heavyweights narrative null and void.

To finish the season on our own terms and not relying on other teams dropping points.
Should have nailed 3rd place.

Edit: wouldnt knock a cup run either.

Come on Sammy; you're way better than that bullshit.

(I'm pretty sure that equally you don't hold Poch exclusively responsible for us bagging no silverware in the last 11 years, so honestly, what gives....? What are you getting at with such a lame comment?)

When you look at his tenure, Poch (imo) has done a lot more right than wrong and has played a massive part in developing our players and moving the club forward.... Ditto Levy in terms of progress vs fuck ups.

Why does everything have to be such a black & white, binary & polar conflict? (...."Are you Poch or Levy out?")

I currently hate the diamond and question the gaffer for persisting with it, but in amongst my frustration he still got us to the CL final with it despite an injury crisis and no investment in the squad for a season.

You yourself hold the opinion that certain players don't show up for the big occasion (i tend to agree), but the same squad has propelled us where we find ourselves in recent years.

In truth very few of us tidily fit into the convenient box that the likes of The Hood (and yourself in the above post) or 'spend or die' idiots like John Thomas insist on putting us into.

Is it wrong to appreciate the trajectory the club is on and not believe anyone needs to lose their job (or in the players cases be resigned to training with the youth) because, for reasons not exclusively under our control, we haven't won a trophy under this manager? ...Why is this hypocritical as you insist on implying here?

Why should anyone outright EXPECT a trophy? ....How far back 'should' we have been 'demanding' one?

Yeh we blew some dosh this summer, but we don't operate in a vacuum.

If we finish this year pot-less and finish 2nd or 3rd.... Then what? Sack Poch? .........REALLY?

Last edited:
Come on Sammy; you're way better than that bullshit.

(I'm pretty sure that equally you don't hold Poch exclusively responsible for us bagging no silverware in the last 11 years, so honestly, what gives....? What are you getting at with such a lame comment?)

When you look at his tenure, Poch (imo) has done a lot more right than wrong and has played a massive part in developing our players and moving the club forward.... Ditto Levy in terms of progress vs fuck ups.

Why does everything have to be such a black & white, binary & polar conflict? (...."Are you Poch or Levy out?")

I currently hate the diamond and question the gaffer for persisting with it, but in amongst my frustration he still got us to the CL final with it despite an injury crisis and no investment in the squad for a season.

You yourself hold the opinion that certain players don't show up for the big occasion (i tend to agree), but the same squad has propelled us where we find ourselves in recent years.

In truth very few of us tidily fit into the convenient box that the likes of The Hood (and yourself in the above post) or 'spend or die' idiots like John Thomas insist on putting us into.

Is it wrong to appreciate the trajectory the club is on and not believe anyone needs to lose their job (or in the players cases be resigned to training with the youth) because, for reasons not exclusively under our control, we haven't won a trophy under this manager? ...Why is this hypocrtical as you insist on implying here?

Why should anyone outright EXPECT a trophy? ....How far back 'should' we have been 'demanding' one?

Yeh we blew some dosh this summer, but we don't operate in a vacuum.

If we finish this year pot-less and finish 2nd or 3rd.... Then what? Sack Poch? .........REALLY?

And what next year? And the year after that?
We aren’t Everton.

This clubs aim is to join the elite. That is our target, and to do that we need to win stuff. It really is that simple.

I don’t think Poch should be sacked but if he is, and we get in Simeone, how long would people cry those crocodile tears for him?
For about 5 minutes until we’re lifting a domestic double.

It is what it is....Poch is a good manager and he will get there in the end.
But don’t sit there and tell me no one else could have won something with this squad by now.

So the target is the exact same target as the season before and the one before that and the one before that.

MDG’s Tottenham Future Expections.

2021 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2022 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2023 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2024 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2025 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

A ‘magnificent’ return in your own words.

You are absolutely right we had little periods of no silverware - what we haven’t had since the war is a compete decade with no silverware which what we just have had. This at a time when the club has had two of its most talented sides but according to you there is nothing concerning about this.

This is what happens when a supporter stops supporting the club and starts supporting its employees.
4th and CL on a regular basis was what we craved little under 3 seasons ago we'd have gave anything for what the goons had what's wrong with it now?

Back
Top Bottom