What the hell is going on behind the scenes in regards to contracts and our players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard not to get emotionally invested I guess.
Sport is all about emotional investment, I don't understand how a person who claims to love their team couldn't be emotionally invested personally.

I haven't spent all my time and money over the last 30 years supporting spurs just because I think it's a nice day out, there were no nice days out under Graham, Santini or Gross lol, the club was just a complete mess at that point, even after sacking.

Even Tim Sherwood gave me something to smile about, the day he got the sack lol.

I prefer the Naysayers to the Happy clappers on this forum, the most vehement happy clappers on here are massive cunts with their holy than thou I'm a better supporters than you because I blindly support everything the club do attitude is nauseating as fuck.

I don't agree with a lot of what the naysayers post but often feel the arguments they put forward are valid and deserving of respectful debate and not the disdain that they often receive.

By the way, in case you hadn't realised, I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, but it won't stop me posting in a most insightful way.

The title of your thread is also the answer to the question.......if things are going on 'behind the scenes' how the fuck are we to know what they are ? :thumbdown:
Moura has upset Jan ??...oh dear, where did you come up with that one ?

I think we should all assume the most dramatic situation, and inevitably turn it into Levy's fault for not throwing cash at him like some kind of stripper.

The only fact we know is that we don't know why JV was dropped. Personally, all I know is that he's too good a player to lose - give him a new, good deal and don't mess him about.

I am speculating

No shit.

What a pointless thread. Zero evidence to back any of your flapping.

Perhaps his gerbil just died and his head wasnt right.

Perhaps hed just had a boil lasered off his arse.

Perhaps it wasn't the real Jan but a life model decoy. The real Jan was in space battling alien invaders.

Perhaps.

Last edited:
There's that word again, "melting" a lovely word that all the deflectors use when they don't have a reasonable argument.
Absolutely bang on the money, mate.

TFC translation for the newcomers

Melter: Someone who asks the awkward questions, rather than brush them under the carpet. A passionate fan who would like to see our club push on and keep their best players etc...

Melter and proud.

A manager has every right to select any player they want and is not obligated to explain their decision. Simple as that.

Jan is 32 years old and there was always going to be a time when he stopped being first choice. If he’s professional and still got enough quality, he will get his place back. If he’s going to sulk then he is finished.

I think Wage parity with Kane and a 3 year contract for both Jan and Toby and another 4 year for Eriksen would be the best solution, 200k per week.
Wether you think that or i think that or anybody thinks that, the club are not going to give wage parity to two ageing centre backs inline with the clubs 200 mill plus golden asset. Neither are they going to be offered long contracts that take them into their middle thirties.
Nothing wrong with offering lucrative shorter term deals, not many clubs offer long contracts to players over 30.
It's in print enough that Toby's been offered a double your money deal but has turned it down.
I've not heard or read anything up until now that Jan was unhappy with his contract but who knows.
Again it's been printed enough that we've offered Eriksen a contract that sits him just below Kane but if a player has decided he wants to play his football in a different country with the lifestyle that goes with it, what does a club do.

Maybe Poch spoke to Jan beforehand and said that, as it was 'only' Aston Villa', he wanted to give Davy some game time and that he would only need one person for defensive cover, and that would be Eric. If things were bad between Poch and Jan, surely Jan would have been 'sick' and not shown up at the game.
Obviously, this theory would come undone if he is not playing against Citeh.
It will all come out in the wash, no doubt.

Someone needs their bumps felt

There's that word again, "melting" a lovely word that all the deflectors use when they don't have a reasonable argument.

Yes, I am guessing at what might be going on but it doesn't take a fucking genius to understand there are clearly issues.

When I talk about people having their heads in the sand, this is what I am referring to.

We were a shambles today defensively, forgive me for having concerns about one of our best defenders being dropped for no apparent reason whatsoever and our manager telling the press it's because he believed it was the best decision tactically.

Vertonghen has been one of our most consistent performers at the club, he loves it here and he wants to stay, I don't want to lose him and it's obvious that the only reason we would is if something is happening behind the scenes considering it was only last week he said he wants to remain at the club because he loves it here.

But by all means, keep believing everything is rosy and all is well while two of our best players are running down their contracts and now one of our other best players has been completely omitted from the match day squad with absolutely no good reason.
It's a single match, the point is you're freaking out with no real impetus.

For years we've decried a lack of depth in the squad. Well, having depth means that some players always get left out. Poch said as much regarding Jan not being included. You've invented a contract dispute out of thin air. You're melting.

Jan is 32 years old. Maybe Poch sees a physical decline, maybe he is not training with the right intensity, maybe he thinks it’s time to stop making him an automatic starter and challenge him to fend off the younger players in the squad. Like Poch said, it’s a technical decision. It’s up to Jan to earn the start.

It's a single match, the point is you're freaking out with no real impetus.

For years we've decried a lack of depth in the squad. Well, having depth means that some players always get left out. Poch said as much regarding Jan not being included. You've invented a contract dispute out of thin air. You're melting.

There is absolutely no way he has dropped Vertonghen for depth purposes, has he ever done that before? Especially considering he has been playing verts all preseason.

It's as obvious as a slap in the face that something is going on, he didn't even make the bench and if you watch Poch after the match during his interview it's even more obvious.

You say I am freaking out for no reason but we already have two players running down their contracts, that's my reason for having concerns about Jan, he has said he wants to sign a new contract and now he's suddenly dropped for "depth reasons" after playing the entire preseason and being excited to start the season with us?

Yeah, not buying it.

Poch May have dropped Jan for tactical reasons but if that were the case I’m pretty sure he’d have been dropped to the bench only, not left out the squad altogether.
could have been a breach of club rules or a straight forward falling out.
Either way I hope it’s sorted out soon.

Look at all the childish idiots that immediately jump on me for making this thread because they already dislike me because I dared to say during that transfer window that we needed to sign players.

And because now I am saying we need to keep our best players like Jan and that's it's clear something not quite right is going on they are immediately calling me negative again showing their pathetic little agendas.

And funny enough, it was a player that we signed who scored our first goal yesterday which led us to victory as well so I was incredibly wrong in my assesment of us needing to sign players apparently, what a negative cunt I am for wanting the team I support to improve or not lose its best players.

You just have an ulterior motive to drag the club down at any opportunity. Most decent fans see through this and can see what a negative boring twat you are.

Absolutely bang on the money, mate.

TFC translation for the newcomers

Melter: Someone who asks the awkward questions, rather than brush them under the carpet. A passionate fan who would like to see our club push on and keep their best players etc...

Melter and proud.

Whether I agree or disagree with some of your opinions is irrelevant to me, what I will say is the status quo are quite appalling to people with opinions to the contrary on here, you don't deserve half the shit you receive for simply having an opinion and some of the shit nw1 gets for not liking Lamela is pathetic.

The points you raise deserve respect and grown up discussions whether people agree with you or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom