What the hell is going on behind the scenes in regards to contracts and our players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tottenham-hotspur-flip-flops-size-8-10644-p.jpg

I suspect that over the summer period, in addition to players being signed, Spurs will have offered a number of players (quite possibly most but not all) new contracts which have enhanced wages and an appropriate extension of length of contract.

Moura's contract extension is the only one announced.

Two reasons why others have not been announced :

1. To give additional time for some players to sign contracts
2. We are waiting until the European TW's have closed in case a couple of European clubs approach players where we have NOT announced those players have signed extensions. To my mind this is sensible self preservation - we certainly don't want to lose some players in the next 2 - 3 weeks without any chance of signing a replacement.

So I'd imagine we'll hear of other contract extensions in September, and no point in making judgements until we hear.

But :
Eriksen - would love him to sign a new contract, ideally a 5 year contract (even with a get out clause only exercisable every June to go to Spain) or even a one year extension, just to preserve his current valuation (which I'm guessing is £50m with one year left). Not sure what Eriksen will do bearing in mind neither Spanish club seem hell bent on signing him.

Vertonghen - Will be 32 going on 33 at end of season when his current contract expires. Think a 2 year contract is most we'd offer.

Alderweireld - A year younger than Vertonghen, but same general contract extension. However I suspect Poch would ideally prefer only one of them to extend ? If both extended we might end up with old slow CB's - better to retain only one for experience ? Tough decision.

After that its then players with only 2 years left on their contract which I think includes Dier and Rose and it maybe we have offered shorter contract extensions than they might wish ?

Let's suppose you're correct, what length of contract and how much would you offer the 3 players and how does it compare to what Spurs have already offered them?

Let's suppose you're correct, what length of contract and how much would you offer the 3 players and how does it compare to what Spurs have already offered them?

Who knows what Spurs have offered them - any more than it would be appropriate to publish your bosses assessment of you and pay rises. We'll only find out when/if the contract extension is announced

But fair to say that Spurs have offered lots of contract extensions and pay rises on a regular basis to most of the players.

Last edited:
Didn't Davies and Winks also sign contracts this summer? Is that what you meant?

Edit 8 July

Also I read somewhere on here Lamela has extended his contract?

Point I was trying to make is I'm pretty sure a lot of contract extensions have been offered - for example players like Kane and Son are almost certain to have been offered new contracts and likely accepted them.

However only a few have been announced (and no reason why the new deals should have been announced, but fans expect to hear) and imo its probably linked to European clubs having a 3 week period before their TW where some of our players could be sitting ducks if those overseas clubs knew which players to target.

I think Levy is concerned our wage bill could get out of hand if Eriksen, Rose, Jan, Toby all sign new contracts. We got Trippier and Janssen off the books (and probably Nando), but they were low earners anyway, and almost everyone else has signed a new deal in the last couple years. You can't give huge raises and extensions to everyone, and sign four new players, without making cuts somewhere.

(Yes I know our wage bill is still lower than other top 6 clubs. I'm just explaining what I think the hold up is.)

Point I was trying to make is I'm pretty sure a lot of contract extensions have been offered - for example players like Kane and Son are almost certain to have been offered new contracts and likely accepted them.

However only a few have been announced (and no reason why the new deals should have been announced, but fans expect to hear) and imo its probably linked to European clubs having a 3 week period before their TW where some of our players could be sitting ducks if those overseas clubs knew which players to target.
Yeah, I was going to say. I thought that's what you were talking about.

Fair enough

I think Levy is concerned our wage bill could get out of hand if Eriksen, Rose, Jan, Toby all sign new contracts. We got Trippier and Jansen off the books (and probably Nando), but they were low earners anyway, and almost everyone else has signed a new deal in the last couple years.

(Yes I know our wage bill is still lower than other top 6 clubs.)

I don't think that's the reason - if they all left we'd need to replace them with players paying whatever is the 'going rate'

Eriksen - I suspect we'd prefer to keep (he's 27/28 coming into his prime)

Rose - I think we'd prefer to keep, even if only for one year to get his replacement in and bedded in.

Toby/Jan - As I've said before, both in their early 30's so maybe a 2 year extension ?

Who knows what Spurs have offered them - any more than it would be appropriate to publish your bosses assessment of you and pay rises. We'll only find out when/if the contract extension is announced

But fair to say that Spurs have offered lots of contract extensions and pay rises on a regular basis to most of the players.
That's my point though (to the OP) - we don't know what's been offered, maybe we've been really generous, maybe we haven't but without that knowledge the way we choose to react is just a reflection of what we think of the board.

I'm sure most Spurs fans would like this resolved but to what lengths do the board go to keep the players happy? Is it even possible? Doesn't seen to be in Eriksens case, who wants Madrid.

Look at all the childish idiots that immediately jump on me for making this thread because they already dislike me because I dared to say during that transfer window that we needed to sign players.

And because now I am saying we need to keep our best players like Jan and that's it's clear something not quite right is going on they are immediately calling me negative again showing their pathetic little agendas.

And funny enough, it was a player that we signed who scored our first goal yesterday which led us to victory as well so I was incredibly wrong in my assesment of us needing to sign players apparently, what a negative cunt I am for wanting the team I support to improve or not lose its best players.

You just have an ulterior motive to drag the club down at any opportunity. Most decent fans see through this and can see what a negative boring twat you are.

If there is a contract dispute it is probably over contract length for both Toby and Jan rather than wages, both are apparently positive to the money offered. But want long term deals which you don't give to aging players.

Eriksen is of course another ballpark. But we have apparently had a 150-170k a week contract offer on the table for a year. He just seems to want to do something new.

But this is very much making a mountain out of a molehill.

And Poch did say after the previous season ended that it was time for a generation shift and a new chapter. And that does include phasing out aging players. Not just selling guys like Vincent, Wanyama and Nkoudou (Despite some thinking that that was all that was needed).

There's that word again, "melting" a lovely word that all the deflectors use when they don't have a reasonable argument.
Absolutely bang on the money, mate.

TFC translation for the newcomers

Melter: Someone who asks the awkward questions, rather than brush them under the carpet. A passionate fan who would like to see our club push on and keep their best players etc...

Melter and proud.

Absolutely bang on the money, mate.

TFC translation for the newcomers

Melter: Someone who asks the awkward questions, rather than brush them under the carpet. A passionate fan who would like to see our club push on and keep their best players etc...

Melter and proud.

Whether I agree or disagree with some of your opinions is irrelevant to me, what I will say is the status quo are quite appalling to people with opinions to the contrary on here, you don't deserve half the shit you receive for simply having an opinion and some of the shit nw1 gets for not liking Lamela is pathetic.

The points you raise deserve respect and grown up discussions whether people agree with you or not.

Last edited:
You just have an ulterior motive to drag the club down at any opportunity. Most decent fans see through this and can see what a negative boring twat you are.

Me wanting improvement for the club in the way of transfers and me not wanting us to lose our best players = an ulterior motive to drag the club down at any opportunity.

Makes complete sense, have you ever considered the possibility, even for a split second, that it might not be good to be continuously optimistic? And it's actually healthy to ask questions?

It's borderline fucking cult on here with some of you I swear, if people aren't spitting rainbows out of their arseholes 24/7 they are immediately negative.

I also love how you lot always ignore any positive contributions posters make and constantly hone in on anything you consider to be negative?

Some of you lot need to seriously take a long hard look in the mirror about what "negativity" really is because, in my mind negativity is constantly derailing threads and never contributing to the discussion and instead just calling other posters negative, moaning about other posters and just whining like a bunch of spineless pussies that can't that an opposing opinion because it hurts their feelings and gets in the way of what they consider to be a "positive" environment.

Let's all just hold hands, dance around a campfire and never say anything whatsoever about the club that could be considered critical.

Poch is definitely marking his territory. Showing whos boss. Big hairy chest stuff, medallion, look at me a mr big bob boss man init, skin on skin, ooo look at me. Mr angry boss man laying down the law. Wheres my sheriffs hat. Little jan was left crying in the stands.

Theres a new boss in town called the poch man. Get used to it.

😉😘😉😘😂

:pochsmirk:

Back
Top Bottom