What would an FA Cup win mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

it's a tough one really, after the Juve disappointment I kind of understood where Poch was coming from when he suggested we should be targeting the premier and champions league titles rather than domestic cups. The disappointment from that night was that having beaten the holders in the group stages we were almost toying with last seasons runners up when a mad three minutes extinguished all hopes of "glory". The common refrain from Spurs fans on the way home was that now we HAVE to win the FA cup. To me it paled into insignificance when as the late Jim Bowen may have suggested "lets look at what you could have won"

The narrative that we have to win something to be a good team will soon change to they have to repeatedly win things to be a great team so a FA cup win would at most provide temporary relief from a hostile press.

Of course on the other side of the argument, why bother at all if you are not going to try and win things? A great example of a winning mentality was the outpouring of joy from Man City when they won the Carabao cup this season. I know any win over woolwich, especially in a cup final is worthy of celebration but there was no hint of "its only the Carabao cup" as undoubtedly the best team in the country wildly celebrated winning a trophy.

The reason we need to win something is because the game as well as glory, is about being there, about having cherished memories of a fantastic day. In over 40 years of following Spurs the moments that still give me goose bumps and memories I remember both vividly and warmly are from 37 years ago. When as a 17 year old who didn't get a final ticket waiting outside Wembley until the gates opened and getting in just in time to see Hoddle's deflected free kick get us a replay in the rarified atmosphere of the old Wembley stadium. Then queueing up all night with endless singing and banter to get a replay ticket and then the despair of falling behind only to pull it back and to win it with "THAT" goal from Ricky Villa. That's what winning the FA cup would do - give a growing generation of Spurs fans the "glory" and memories that will see them still loving their club 40/50 years from now.

it's a tough one really, after the Juve disappointment I kind of understood where Poch was coming from when he suggested we should be targeting the premier and champions league titles rather than domestic cups. The disappointment from that night was that having beaten the holders in the group stages we were almost toying with last seasons runners up when a mad three minutes extinguished all hopes of "glory". The common refrain from Spurs fans on the way home was that now we HAVE to win the FA cup. To me it paled into insignificance when as the late Jim Bowen may have suggested "lets look at what you could have won"

The narrative that we have to win something to be a good team will soon change to they have to repeatedly win things to be a great team so a FA cup win would at most provide temporary relief from a hostile press.

Of course on the other side of the argument, why bother at all if you are not going to try and win things? A great example of a winning mentality was the outpouring of joy from Man City when they won the Carabao cup this season. I know any win over woolwich, especially in a cup final is worthy of celebration but there was no hint of "its only the Carabao cup" as undoubtedly the best team in the country wildly celebrated winning a trophy.

The reason we need to win something is because the game as well as glory, is about being there, about having cherished memories of a fantastic day. In over 40 years of following Spurs the moments that still give me goose bumps and memories I remember both vividly and warmly are from 37 years ago. When as a 17 year old who didn't get a final ticket waiting outside Wembley until the gates opened and getting in just in time to see Hoddle's deflected free kick get us a replay in the rarified atmosphere of the old Wembley stadium. Then queueing up all night with endless singing and banter to get a replay ticket and then the despair of falling behind only to pull it back and to win it with "THAT" goal from Ricky Villa. That's what winning the FA cup would do - give a growing generation of Spurs fans the "glory" and memories that will see them still loving their club 40/50 years from now.
As you say it's a tough one for all the reasons you give.
Anyone who says that they don't want to win a domestic cup, of any description, must be mad.
If I were given a choice of FA cup or top 4, I would honestly say top 4, due to income/players etc.
However I think we have a big enough and good enough squad to do both.
The question, I think, should be;
Should Spurs prioritise The FA cup over top 4 ? (exc. this season)

Needing to win trophies is a media narrative to slight Tottenham's growth under Poch and give them a reason to link our players elsewhere. But damn it, I want to win the FA Cup. It still means a lot in my book, as opposed to the League Cup which feels like fixture pileup more than glory.

I wonder would it feel different if we beat Leicester in the final rather than say United or Chelsea?

Don't buy into the media narrative of needing to win something at all. But the FA cup this season would be a beautiful way of closing off one Chapter and starting a new one.

1991 remains an incredible memory for me. The FA Cup was the showpiece trophy for anyone in the UK at the time, so it did carry more prestige than it does now. I do think we need to face - and defeat - Vader i.e. Chavscumracists. I’d prefer facing them in the Semi, leaving a final that we could enjoy more.

While I understand where he is coming from, I would disagree with Poch.

I started supporting spurs when I watched them against Woolwich at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final and then against Nottingham Forest in the final.

I will always remember these two games. And I have supported spurs ever since.

Domestic cups aren't import to clubs until they get near the final, they are important to the fans for the whole season though until you get knocked out.
I'm 29 this month so don't remember us winning anything other than the league cup, this year is the year!

Domestic cups aren't import to clubs until they get near the final, they are important to the fans for the whole season though until you get knocked out.
I'm 29 this month so don't remember us winning anything other than the league cup, this year is the year!
Good point.
If you look at our fan base, how we can sell out Wembley etc. I don't think there's many fans, today, who decided to follow Spurs for the amount of trophies we win. We all want trophies, but I don't think they are the be all and end all.

What it would mean for us: "Yay! A trophy!"
What it would mean for the media: "But can Spurs win a BIG trophy or will the players have to leave to find TRUE success?"

They will always find a new reason to mock us. Now it's "you didn't won anything".. If we win FA Cup it's gonna be "it's just a Cup".. if we win the league it's gonna be "it's only your second league title in the history"..

Back
Top Bottom