What would you rather have won?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you rather of won?

• Premier League 2016/17

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Champions League 2018/19

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters
The Champions League.

Winning the Champions League/European Cup and reaching the pinnacle of club football is such an iconic moment and something that a club can always look back on in a way that I don't think you can with winning the League.

We came closer to winning this in 2019 than winning the Premier League in 2017 because, in fairness, we were always some way behind Chelsea and it never looked like we would catch them.

We won 12 of our last 13 league games and we still finished seven points behind them.

However, we were one game away from winning the Champions League but our players just didn't turn up. I was so disappointed with our performance.

Liverpool won without needing to get out of second gear.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the PL. We've won cups in my lifetime but never a league title. That's the ultimate. The 2016/17 team was as close as i've ever seen us get so it's still disappointing we didn't get over the line.

Plus the way we played and the fact we did it without breaking the bank and being outspent massively by our rivals (Leicester apart) would have made it taste even sweeter.

I'd have to say the PL. We've won cups in my lifetime but never a league title. That's the ultimate. The 2016/17 team was as close as i've ever seen us get so it's still disappointing we didn't get over the line.

Yet we were never close to winning it that season.

We finished 8 points clear of Manchester City and 10 points clear of Liverpool.

How times change.

The Champions League.

Winning the Champions League/European Cup and reaching the pinnacle of club football is such an iconic moment and something that a club can always look back on in a way that I don't think you can with winning the League.

We came closer to winning this in 2019 than winning the Premier League in 2017 because, in fairness, we were always some way behind Chelsea and it never looked like we would catch them.

We won 12 of our last 13 league games and we still finished seven points behind them.

However, we were one game away from winning the Champions League but our players just didn't turn up. I was so disappointed with our performance.

Liverpool won without needing to get out of second gear.

Yet we were never close to winning it that season.

We finished 8 points clear of Manchester City and 10 points clear of Liverpool.

How times change.

....But beneath the pageantry we weren't close to the "pinnacle" of European football last year... We weren't even close to the best 2 in our country.

Champions league.

It's probably the one trophy that every player in the world wants to win.

Europe is the pinnacle of football. Players from elsewhere want to play in Europe.

To win the best prize in Europe is what it's all about.

Given how shit our season was that year, going out with a CL win would have been a fairytale.

CL is more glitzy, but league means much more to me... Bread & butter.... Consistent excellence rather than riding a wave of a cup run.....

Look at how little it meant to Liverpool the year they beat us.... They got so little kudos; it was surreal.
Probably something to do with them winning it 6 times already by then.

Probably something to do with them winning it 6 times already by then.

I think it was more 'the power of narrative' tbh..... Was just portrayed as a consolation prize having not won the league.... In a similar sense, imagine how downplayed our victory would have been had we won and scraped by the same team that we finished 20-odd points behind that same season(*).

No-one can fuck with it if you win the league... Even if you're Leicester.

(*I know he's a prick, but did you hear the hatchet job A.Durham did on us reaching the final....?)

The PL is the more impressive achievement, to dominate all comers over a 38-game marathon of a season.

That's probably less true in countries where title winners face fewer genuine challengers, but I think in England it's the PL.

City-Ajax-Liverpool wasn't the most glamorous starry-eyed run through the CL knockout stages though. Imagine a world in which we tore through PSG, Bayern and Barca or something. That would offer something different than the league can.

Champions League since we've never won it before.
Not just kings of England but kings of Europe too.
I get this,but there will be always someone(i have said it myself) who will say
" how can you truly be kings of Europe,when you are not even kings of your own country"
that's why i put winning the league ahead of it.

Not that i am in anyway saying i would turn down Champions league football if we finish 2nd,3rd, of 4th next year.
Not that it will be needed as we will qualify via winning the Europa...

I get this,but there will be always someone(i have said it myself) who will say
" how can you truly be kings of Europe,when you are not even kings of your own country"
that's why i put winning the league ahead of it.

Not that i am in anyway saying i would turn down Champions league football if we finish 2nd,3rd, of 4th next year.
Not that it will be needed as we will qualify via winning the Europa...
Yeah that's fair and while we've won the league before I suppose we haven't won the premier league.tm.

The PL is the more impressive achievement, to dominate all comers over a 38-game marathon of a season.

That's probably less true in countries where title winners face fewer genuine challengers, but I think in England it's the PL.

City-Ajax-Liverpool wasn't the most glamorous starry-eyed run through the CL knockout stages though. Imagine a world in which we tore through PSG, Bayern and Barca or something. That would offer something different than the league can.

Dortmund was a decent scalp, City are always up there as favourites, Ajax were favoured by many against us..... But I take your point and agree about the EPL.

Dortmund was a decent scalp, City are always up there as favourites, Ajax were favoured by many against us..... But I take your point and agree about the EPL.

Yeah, no shame for beating whoever they put in front of you, but part of the CL excitement is the opportunity to take on foreign global megabrands with the Messis and Ronaldos of the world.

Back
Top Bottom