What would you rather have won?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you rather of won?

• Premier League 2016/17

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Champions League 2018/19

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters
Yeah, no shame for beating whoever they put in front of you, but part of the CL excitement is the opportunity to take on foreign global megabrands with the Messis and Ronaldos of the world.

We also survived a pretty tough group.

Battering Ronaldo's mob the year before was indeed a lot of fun though.

I think it was more 'the power of narrative' tbh..... Was just portrayed as a consolation prize having not won the league.... In a similar sense, imagine how downplayed our victory would have been had we won and scraped by the same team that we finished 20-odd points behind that same season(*).

No-one can fuck with it if you win the league... Even if you're Leicester.

(*I know he's a prick, but did you hear the hatchet job A.Durham did on us reaching the final....?)
No but i can imagine. We were lucky I'm sure. Whereas Liverpools comeback was pure skill? Something like that?

Not fussy in all honesty. Either would have been epic.

Logically perhaps being the Champions of Europe. Because that's bigger than being domestic champions. Although I get that there is more consistency needed for the Premier League. You can't fluke last second goals/decisions like we did in the QF and SF across 38 matches.

I never truly felt we'd win the league - might in a minority there but we were never top were we? Contrary to seeming popular belief the title challenge wasn't lost at 'battle of the bridge' - It died with that oddly low profile draw to West Brom.

Champions League, I felt we might do it because having got through City and Ajax the way we did, well anything could have happened. I'll forever be gutted that almost from the moment of kick off we were on the back foot.

For me it has to be the London Enterprise Architecture best new stadium build award for 2019. Granted, not much competition - but it looks amazing on our trophy shelf.

I have always debated which one I would want Spurs to win more but when I saw this poll it was an east answer for me to say Premier League.

That may be because our run to the CL final was based so much on luck rather than talent and really deserving to be there. With the PL run if we had won it would have been much more of a deserving title, based on talent and hard work and an indication that we deserving and a world class team rather than us getting a lot of luck and favorable rules decisons.

I am not sure if my answer would have been different if the CL had been with a much more talented team that got the on merit or if this shows that I truly do value a PL title over CL but for this poll the answer is easily the PL title.

U3swu3h.jpg
Its twice the size of the normal trophy.

I think the PL would have been bigger for our long term success.

The CL always felt like a strange run. We were almost out so many times. That season in the league though, we were fucking brilliant. Just lost out bottle near the end.
Nah, that was 2015/16, the Leicester season where we got 2 points in the last 4 games. Chelsea were just too far ahead after a ridiculous run in 16/17.

Difficult one because I wanted to win both, the league because it's the yardstick to be measured by, but the CL because it was a once in a lifetime moment.
In all honesty we paid lip service to both as the club wasn't good enough to win either, who knows how long we will have to wait for another moment.

If Spurs had followed. Liverpool's lead they might've won something at least. Even if you hate them they did it right. They knew what was missing, sorted it and won CL and now PL. If Spurs don't rectify the problems they will continue to tread water and win nothing !!

For me it has to be the London Enterprise Architecture best new stadium build award for 2019. Granted, not much competition - but it looks amazing on our trophy shelf.

Voted Prem, but would be elated with the Rumbelows Cup.

League proves more about the quality of a side, but CL would have been incredible. First instinct would be to say PL hands down, but CL is the biggest club competition so it closer than I initially thought, but even if we'd won it we all knew we weren't the best side in Europe by a long shot so PL edges it for me.

The players truly deserved the title over that 2 year span, such a shame we don't have so much as a trophy to show for it.

If Spurs had followed. Liverpool's lead they might've won something at least. Even if you hate them they did it right. They knew what was missing, sorted it and won CL and now PL. If Spurs don't rectify the problems they will continue to tread water and win nothing !!
Well I certainly wanted them to do what Liverpool did when they sold Bale. It was ridiculous to buy 7 players and think you can intergrate that number. Like Liverpool did when they sold Courtinho they should have used the money on 2 quality players.

This thread title breaks my heart by reminding me of two golden opportunities we allowed to slip through our fingers. It also puts me in mind of the programme Bullseye when the contestants would be heartbroken at missing out on the mystery jackpot only for Jim Bowen to pull back the curtains and say "Let's see what you would have won".

Europa League next season followed by the league title 21/22 season, let's do it !
:mourthumb:

Nah, that was 2015/16, the Leicester season where we got 2 points in the last 4 games. Chelsea were just too far ahead after a ridiculous run in 16/17.
I never thought we would win it in 15/16 personally, felt much closer in 16/17. I remember when we beat City at the Etihad I thought 'this might just be possible' and for 10 minutes between when Kane scored THAT goal in the derby and Sanchez equalised I thought we would do it. Chelsea love to think they stopped us winning the league but it was done by then - the West Ham game killed it, the draw with Woolwich meant it slipped away more and the West Brom game it was officially done.

The year after when we beat Watford 4-0 at the Lane I thought we maybe could do it. Then the win away at Palace I was starting to believe it a little more but it was just a case of hoping Chelsea slipped up but they never did and West Ham once again put it to bed.

I picked PL because it came before the opportunity for the CL. Winning trophies or titles build clubs. We need winning something to build on.

Back
Top Bottom