Whatever happened to ... ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not Spurs.....but

Freddy Adu was being touted as (another) "new Pele" at the age of 14!!
Bloody ridiculous.

"From before the time of his signing with D.C. United at the age of 14, Adu was spoken of and treated as the future of United States soccer;[2] even being referred to as "the next Pelé".[3] However, he failed to live up to the expectations and, after leaving D.C. United in 2006, he became a journeyman,[4] playing for fourteen teams in eight countries: the United States, Portugal, Monaco, Greece, Turkey, Brazil, Serbia, and Finland. "

Don't forget the US league was proper shit then

2004–2006D.C. United87(11)
2007Real Salt Lake11(1)
2007–2011Benfica11(2)
2008–2009AS Monaco (loan)9(0)
2009Belenenses (loan)3(0)
2010Aris (loan)5(1)
2011Çaykur Rizespor (loan)11(3)
2011–2013Philadelphia Union35(7)
2013Bahia2(0)
2014Jagodina0(0)
2015KuPS5(0)
2015KuFu-98 (loan)3(2)
2015–2016Tampa Bay Rowdies12(0)
2018Las Vegas Lights14(1

This reminds me of one of those rare moments when the hype turned out to be justified.

Before USA ‘94 The Mirror (of all papers) ran a double page hype piece about the ‘new Pele’. An unknown 17 year old called Ronaldo.

One of the most annoying things about Greasy Ron is that most people think of him rather than Real Ronaldo. Greasy Ron even played for Real, purely to make it more confusing.

Bit harsh....
I believe Caskey was a mainstay (and captain?) of Reading midfield for years....

Never top level, but a good career as a professional.

A starting 11 that had Fowler, Scholes, Neville and the cunt bell amongst others.
(My dad was convinced he was going to be the captain of England one day).

He was touted as the one to watch.

I never watched him.

Quinton Fortune was in our youth team. Around the same time as Andy Turner, Caskey, and Judas.

The brother of a mate of mine when I was at school was in the Spurs youth team at the time. I can’t remember his surname. Barmby had just broken into the team and was my idol. Just a few years older, and billed as the next big thing. I thought Turner was going to be great, but it never worked out.

Judas was the one they were all excited about...as a striker. He even scored on his debut as a striker for us against Chelsea. I loved that guy. What a fucking cunt he turned out to be. I guess for younger fans it’s hard to understand the hate he invited upon himself. Just imagine Kane leaving on a free and showing up out of the blue grinning away in a Gooner shirt.

Anyway, Gudni Bergsson. Used to think he was this exotic foreign star. He’s a lawyer now.

This reminds me of one of those rare moments when the hype turned out to be justified.

Before USA ‘94 The Mirror (of all papers) ran a double page hype piece about the ‘new Pele’. An unknown 17 year old called Ronaldo.

One of the most annoying things about Greasy Ron is that most people think of him rather than Real Ronaldo. Greasy Ron even played for Real, purely to make it more confusing.

Since you do say Mirror of all papers, I would claim, Ronaldo was only unknown was by Mirror reader standards.

Everyone in my (football) circles knew who he was prior him being even selected for the World Cup squad. There's ton of "the next" this and that, as well as stupid nicknames, but as for Ronaldo fenomeno was really apt. You could see even 16, 17 that this was a very special talent.

Don't be annoyed if people assume Christano with the name Ronaldo. You can just in turn assume that they're either 12 or without football knowledge.

Quinton Fortune was in our youth team. Around the same time as Andy Turner, Caskey, and Judas.

The brother of a mate of mine when I was at school was in the Spurs youth team at the time. I can’t remember his surname. Barmby had just broken into the team and was my idol. Just a few years older, and billed as the next big thing. I thought Turner was going to be great, but it never worked out.

Judas was the one they were all excited about...as a striker. He even scored on his debut as a striker for us against Chelsea. I loved that guy. What a fucking cunt he turned out to be. I guess for younger fans it’s hard to understand the hate he invited upon himself. Just imagine Kane leaving on a free and showing up out of the blue grinning away in a Gooner shirt.

Anyway, Gudni Bergsson. Used to think he was this exotic foreign star. He’s a lawyer now.
I may be wrong but I think Bergsson like ossie was a trained lawyer whilst he played for us.

The 92/93 season under the Venables/Livermore/Clemence unusual management structure saw a considerable number of youngsters from the youth set up make their first team debuts and impressed with follow up apparances such as Nick Barmby, Andy Turner, Kevin Watson, Kevin Dearden, Stuart Nethercott, Danny Hill and Sol Campbell (other also made their first team debuts but their names escape me). A young Steve Carr and Gerard McMahon were brought over from Ireland and were impressing alongside Steve Clemence and Chris Day in the youth team (won the youth fa cup) and reserves. Ian Walker, Dave Tuttle and John Hendry made their debuts in the previous two seasons and continued to show promise. Darren Caskey was captain of the England U20s and gaining rave reviews.

Added to this we signed the uncapped Darren Anderton, Teddy Sheringham, Neil Ruddock and Dean Austin. The first 3 would later be capped for England. Although they finished 8th that season and had a fair few dodgy results, they had a few spells when the team clicked and played some of the best football I had seen at Spurs. With a clear emphasis on youth and so many promising youth footballers breaking through. I thought Spurs were going to be the team for the next decade.

But Spurs being Spursy had to sack Venables quite rightly for non football reasons. Ardiles replaced Clemence and Livermore. Ardiles finding himself under pressure from a large hostile pro Venables anti Sugar fan base whilst sliding into a relegation battle padded out the squad with players such as Jason Dozzell, David Kerslake, Colin Calderwood, Kevin Scott, Ronnie Rosenthal and the return of veteran Mickey Hazard. A lot of those youth team players found their pathway blocked or simply did not kick on as expected. The potential of the 92/93 team was never realised and Spurs spent the rest of the 90s in the wilderness, whilst the Man Utd class of 92 emerged and the rest as they say is history.

Kevin Stewart, I think.

They also signed our young French goalkeeper at the time too. Think it might have been Inglethorpe who snapped them up when he went to Liverpool.

Bingo. Next up:

Nm5HWlF.png

Back
Top Bottom