Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think one of the problems is having Hugo as your captain. Dude stops shots, but he doesn't bring a whole lot of confidence to the backline when under pressure and has publicly looked naive.

It could be that we don't have a natural leader our ranks, but someone else needs to be grabbing the reigns and lighting a fire within the team.
I don't know if tub thumping Keane style really works anymore (it might but my guess would be that a dressing room of millionaires needs an inspirational manager, not a bully in the showers)

That said I agree with you that goalkeepers and strikers should never be Captains (deliberate capital letter). Centre half or centre midfield in my book.

But then there's the interesting parallel of the national captain - I've always like the Italian idea that the most capped player is the captain because it only ceremonial..

Sorry just put the kids to bed so I tend to wander off to La-La-Land.

So much negativity. There’s little to zero fun around the club and specially the forum now. I remembers four years ago when we were getting battered by stoke and would have better mood in here than now after coming second in the biggest club competition
It’s sickening isn’t it, some people on here really need to take a long hard look at themselves.

We have just taken two points from two of the toughest away fixtures we will face this season.

Yes the Newcastle game was shit but in our absolute BEST years under Poch we have notoriously started slow.

Give it some time for god’s sake. :pochcry:

A lot of us have been saying the same for years now, and last year after his drunk driving, that was the perfect reason to strip him of the captaincy. Harry or Jan were a much better bet. Not so sure who can do the job now, TBH.

Seems only natural to me that the England Captain should also be in charge of his Premier league team :thumbup: :kanegoal:

A lot of us have been saying the same for years now, and last year after his drunk driving, that was the perfect reason to strip him of the captaincy. Harry or Jan were a much better bet. Not so sure who can do the job now, TBH.
At the time I agreed exactly with what you said there. But then I watched a documentary on what Lloris does behind the scenes in terms of sitting on the charity committee, the hospitals that the players visit, being the conduit between the dressing room and the manager and board. That is not just pulling on the armband. I totally agree that driving up Park Lane lashed up is not what any captain of any club should be doing, but it points to the fact that there is probably no-one who can step into the role because its wider than 3 inches of navy on your arm.

Just going to roll a cross thread hand grenade under the door here. I see Winks as a future Captain. If all my dreams come true that is. He's already nailed the Head and Shoulders advert so Step 1 = tick.

At the time I agreed exactly with what you said there. But then I watched a documentary on what Lloris does behind the scenes in terms of sitting on the charity committee, the hospitals that the players visit, being the conduit between the dressing room and the manager and board. That is not just pulling on the armband. I totally agree that driving up Park Lane lashed up is not what any captain of any club should be doing, but it points to the fact that there is probably no-one who can step into the role because its wider than 3 inches of navy on your arm.
I hear what you're saying, but he probably does that because he's been made captain and is part of the role. I'm sure Harry or Jan could do any of those duties too. For me, the most important part of being skipper is being a leader on the pitch, and I don't think he is that. I don't think you need to be verbal, Ledley wasn't a "shouter", but he had real leadership qualities. Don't think it's something you can learn- you either have it or don't - just my opinion, of course.

Poch said this in 2018. Just 3 more years to wait, chaps.

“To create that winning mentality is another four years. I think Tottenham [with] more time, with me or with another, but I think it is important to keep developing that philosophy that is important for the club.”

Just posted this in the Hugo Lloris thread as a reply to another member's post but as the title of this one is What's Gone Wrong ? I feel it belongs here too as tonight's revelations illustrate perfectly what our problems are...

I am not arguing whether his comments are correct or not, that is immaterial...what I find utterly deplorable is making such a statement to the press. I cannot describe how fucking mad I am at this latest bit of club news, just as we'd finally closed the transfer window and had a chance to regroup during the break. It is one thing to be aware of your limitations but it is quite another to declare them to the World.
56 years I have supported this club and I have never been so disappointed in a Spurs Captain than I have been with Hugo tonight.

Maybe thinking we can catch City is (to use your term) 'delusional' but we have to try and reach the top otherwise what's the point, being satisfied with third ?. Someone who's shoes I am not fit to wipe put it a lot better than I ever could...

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'
Bill Nicholson

Hugo would do well to remember these words before he opens his mouth to the media again.

Latest from the Sun
HUG 'N MISS Hugo Lloris admits Spurs are ‘missing something’ as skipper doubts title credentials

One football.com
Hugo Lloris claims Tottenham are 'missing something' for title push

Sportsmole
Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has conceded that his side are 'missing something' in order to launch a serious challenge for this season's Premier League title.

Daily Mail
Hugo Lloris insists Tottenham have no chance of winning Premier League because they are 'missing something'

Misquoted maybe but still unnecessary and most unwelcome headlines for everybody concerned with the club to have to read.

So much negativity. There’s little to zero fun around the club and specially the forum now. I remembers four years ago when we were getting battered by stoke and would have better mood in here than now after coming second in the biggest club competition

Maybe the pressure is getting to them.

At the very least, it's time for Kane to be made co-captain with Lloris.
Kane captain and Lloris vice-captain would be preferable, imo.
Poch missed a bit of an opportunity in changing this with the least amount of resistance when Hugo got his drink-driving charge...

Poch said this in 2018. Just 3 more years to wait, chaps.

“To create that winning mentality is another four years. I think Tottenham [with] more time, with me or with another, but I think it is important to keep developing that philosophy that is important for the club.”

Still waiting

Latest from the Sun
HUG 'N MISS Hugo Lloris admits Spurs are ‘missing something’ as skipper doubts title credentials

One football.com
Hugo Lloris claims Tottenham are 'missing something' for title push

Sportsmole
Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has conceded that his side are 'missing something' in order to launch a serious challenge for this season's Premier League title.

Daily Mail
Hugo Lloris insists Tottenham have no chance of winning Premier League because they are 'missing something'

Misquoted maybe but still unnecessary and most unwelcome headlines for everybody concerned with the club to have to read.
It bugs me that he references City's and Liverpool's experience. If our team were a pair of tits, they would be very saggy indeed.

Last edited:
Too much pressure for the quality of the squad 100%

Unfortunately, probably true.

In my ideal scenario, we sell Eriksen and sign Dybala and Barrios. Our back four are shaky. We need a DM that can support them.

Dybala would give us another superstar up front.

Then the pressure would not be too much for the quality of the squad.

Back
Top Bottom