Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey, pipes . Here you go bud'. 6 out of 10 think years of underinvestment the main cause of our current plight.
Finger on the pulse, matey

giphy.gif

I think there’s a bigger picture. ENIC have heavily invested in the infrastructure of the club, such as the stadium, training ground, and global advertising. Stuff that has meaningful long-term value for an investments company. Those are the intangibles.

Investing in the team is the tangible. Half the battle is appealing to the desired player. If they show a willingness to sign then ideally there should be some give and take and we do what we can to bring them in. We seem to have missed out on a few players through excessive brinkmanship. It’s the same when trying to sell players. Football transfers don’t operate like a normal market, and I’ve never thought Levy ever really grasped that.

He’ll need to soon, because the stadium will become a white elephant if it doesn’t have a competitive team playing inside it.

I think there’s a bigger picture. ENIC have heavily invested in the infrastructure of the club, such as the stadium, training ground, and global advertising. Stuff that has meaningful long-term value for an investments company. Those are the intangibles.

Investing in the team is the tangible. Half the battle is appealing to the desired player. If they show a willingness to sign then ideally there should be some give and take and we do what we can to bring them in. We seem to have missed out on a few players through excessive brinkmanship. It’s the same when trying to sell players. Football transfers don’t operate like a normal market, and I’ve never thought Levy ever really grasped that.

He’ll need to soon, because the stadium will become a white elephant if it doesn’t have a competitive team playing inside it.
All good points, Jerry.
Eloquently and politely put forward as always.

:adesalute:

PS. The fuck are you doing on a yellow card mate?

No they don’t. They think that, when given the choice of two things. If I out a poll up asking everyone if they thought you were a simple minded idiot, with absolutely no grasp of how businesses work, or a complete spacker with turnip for brains that can’t even tie his own laces, I imagine a fair number would vote for one of these, meaning you don’t come out of it very well.

You may be a handsome, well educated, well hung stud, but becasue I didn’t give that as a choice, nobody voted for it.*

Your question in what went wrong needs around a dozen possible responses and not a single one would be correct as not a single person or group could be responsible for something going wrong at a top football team. So again, you look like a twat.

*and they wouldn’t anyway, we all know it would be option “idiot” by a landslide.
There were three choices, in reality my friend.
Is Poch responsible. Underinvestment, or the most obvious one,...if you don't agree with either don't vote for either..

The fact that 109 forum members voted underinvestment suggests there's a significant number on here who aren't happy with the backing Poch got from the board.
It's clear you find that difficult to comprehend.
But that's ok.
We all have to accept that sometimes our long standing viewpoints are found wanting.

:dierpochhug:

There were three choices, in reality my friend.
Is Poch responsible. Underinvestment, or the most obvious one,...if you don't agree with either don't vote for either..

The fact that 109 forum members voted underinvestment suggests there's a significant number on here who aren't happy with the backing Poch got from the board.
It's clear you find that difficult to comprehend.
But that's ok.
We all have to accept that sometimes our long standing viewpoints are found wanting.

:dierpochhug:
109 is significant these days? Pretty sure more people would vote in a poll asking what everyone’s favourite colour is. Mate.

109 is significant these days? Pretty sure more people would vote in a poll asking what everyone’s favourite colour is. Mate.
Significant on a Forum thread yes. I would say. 187 votes cast.
Why not try your theory out? Post the poll?
Mine's pink, btw

Significant on a Forum thread yes. I would say. 187 votes cast.
Why not try your theory out? Post the poll?
Mine's pink, btw
I’ll give it a miss. Anyway, enjoy basking in your “victory”, I’m bored now. Posting with you is akin to smacking myself in the face with a brick. I’ve honestly no idea why your careers give you so much time in the internet. Enjoy your night.

And yet 185 people (75% of those that voted) want Levy to stay in the "Levy Out" thread.
Yes, they did. And see my post below.
He took control of one of the biggest names in English football 20 fucking years ago and we've seen 1 capital one cup since!
Yet he's still worshipped by many as the second coming.

DecentEmotionalLadybird-size_restricted.gif

It's one of the mysteries of modern humanity.

I'm sure, in decades / centuries to come, scholars and historians will look back on it with incredulity.
Considering the cult status he enjoys on here Stevee, 1 in 4 now saying enough is enough is considerably higher than I expected.

However this poll was not asking the same question. It was simply asking where the finger of blame should lie for our alarming collapse in fortune.
Most people, who voted, correctly agreed that failing to back Pochettino when he called for it started the downwards spiral we've been on ever since .

You may not agree with the result but surely you're not gonna dispute it!

Considering the cult status he enjoys on here Stevee, 1 in 4 now saying enough is enough is considerably higher than I expected.

However this poll was not asking the same question. It was simply asking where the finger of blame should lie for our alarming collapse in fortune.
Most people, who voted, correctly agreed that failing to back Pochettino when he called for it started the downwards spiral we've been on ever since .

And it's a fair shout but it still fails to recognise Pochettino's limitations, namely not being a winner.

Clear and present evidence of that which was always my biggest gripe.

And it's a fair shout but it still fails to recognise Pochettino's limitations, namely not being a winner.

Clear and present evidence of that which was always my biggest gripe.
That's fair enough, and I accept people may hold that pov.
But it wasn't the question being asked. Had Poch been properly backed when he was crying out for it, I don't think we'd be in the position we're in today. With a failing, ailing, ageing squad picking up 1 point in 6 against Norwich and Southampton.
And it's clear the majority of those who voted agree.

But it wasn't the question being asked. Had Poch been properly backed when he was crying out for it, I don't think we'd be in the position we're in today. With a failing, ailing, ageing squad picking up 1 point in 6 against Norwich and Southampton.

Yep so do I.

And now we need Mourinho to sort in the short term and a system in place for the longer term and the next Pochettino.

While I agree that under-investment might have been an issue, Poch didn't exactly shine when he was given resources to work with. Maybe if more of his signings came good, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We had a new stadium to build, and because of that, we needed to be frugal with the finances. You can call it "under-investment" if you want, but it was more "needing to make the money that was spent count". Poch didn't do that. Llorente was a hefty expense, and he rarely played, despite the fact he was pretty much always fit. While Juan Foyth wasn't expensive, we did spend £8m on him 2.5 years ago, and he hasn't played (for me, he's not good enough). Could we not have used that money to buy someone who could have helped the squad immediately, if that is what was needed? Moura was expensive, yet it took forever for him to get any match time, and that may have only happened because Poch had no one else available. Fazio was a joke from the start. Aurier, N'Die, Janssen, Nkoudou were all wastes of money - although they all look like busts, for the most part, they didn't even get enough playing time under Poch to prove or disprove their worth. You could have put Sissoko in this same bucket before this season, when Poch finally gave him significant playing time out of necessity. Even Son got very few opportunities early on, even when he finally started playing well. Poch didn't do well enough with the money he did have to spend.

Good points above...

For me, there are two big flaws in Pochettino’s reign:

Inability to get us over the line in big games / situations

and

Transfers

Both have been done to death and I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said about that.
I desperately wanted the fella to succeed with us and create a dynasty - manager for ten years, overseeing flowing football and a few trophies (didn’t have to get greedy, just a couple. However, when the end came I think all were relieved, Poch, Levy, the players and us. Mauricio looked broken....

What I’d say since is that if neither Poch nor Jose could get a tune out of this team, then the blame for our year long malaise must fall on the players.

I’m reserving judgement on Jose. He was never really my cup of tea but I can see why Levy took a punt. Wholesale change is now necessary, ruthlessness in getting rid of deadwood plus a change in mentality is what I’m hoping Jose will bring.

Too early to tell how it’ll pan out. Let’s see where we are at the start of next season....two windows in

Nope, anyone who says there should not of been more investment is wrong.

The question is though, are there genuine reasons for that lack of investment in the past, IMV there is.

Going forward from here, now that the debts has been put into long term, I expect to see at least all our profits invested in the team.
If that doesn't happen I'll switch to Levy out.

Nope, anyone who says there should not of been more investment is wrong.

The question is though, are there genuine reasons for that lack of investment in the past, IMV there is.

Going forward from here, now that the debts has been put into long term, I expect to see at least all our profits invested in the team.
If that doesn't happen I'll switch to Levy out.
I’m going to wait a few years before going Levy out. Unless something catastrophic happens. I’d like the board to get the chance to see the stadium project through properly and that includes several windows to show world leading investment in the playing staff, as everything else is now in place to succeed.

I think that Levy's plan to increase revenue streams is outstanding, with the new stadium, that reaches out to large income streams beyond football. I have no idea what the increase revenue ( v costs) are on match days but i would hazard a guess at twenty five to thirty percent?

Regarding expenditure. well he has sanctioned some big (for our club) transfers before the stadium revenue streams kicked in, and i would guess that there are substantial funds available to Jose.

Where i think we have failed miserably, with the signing of failed French players, and injury prone (Lamela, Wanyama and the like) is finding players who fit in with the style of play, and have the right character.

We need to invest in better scouting and i'd hire a DOF in a heartbeat.

Until we can find young, quality players with drive and ambition we will always struggle for the next level we need to be at in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom