Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our Alchemy license ran out. We were able to get golden results, (top 4, CL final, etc) for comparatively little investment. It’s caught up with us and the magic has run out.

Case in point: If Harry’s out, as I fear, the alchemist have no viable back up.

It’s pretty much been said throughout this thread, lack of investment in the squad, Levy penny pinching, Poch giving up, etc. but the difference between now and about a year ago is that then we had a team, now we have a group of players. If I’m being super critical of the players that we have, I would say that Kane, Son and Lloris are the only ones I would keep in the starting eleven. The next level down would be Sanchez, Alderweireld, Deli, Ndombele, Sissoko, and Lo Celso. The rest can go imho for reasons such as not being good enough, don’t have passion for the club or they’re toxic (i.e Eriksen).

What did Ferguson say about a teams lifespan - a group of players is good for a max of 3 years before you’ll need to buy some more? Well that’s spot on and something I hope Levy and Co will learn from. I still have faith in our manager as he’s a born winner but some serious investment is needed and it’s unfortuent that Poch wasn’t given the opportunity to spend the money!

It’s pretty much been said throughout this thread, lack of investment in the squad, Levy penny pinching, Poch giving up, etc. but the difference between now and about a year ago is that then we had a team, now we have a group of players. If I’m being super critical of the players that we have, I would say that Kane, Son and Lloris are the only ones I would keep in the starting eleven. The next level down would be Sanchez, Alderweireld, Deli, Ndombele, Sissoko, and Lo Celso. The rest can go imho for reasons such as not being good enough, don’t have passion for the club or they’re toxic (i.e Eriksen).

What did Ferguson say about a teams lifespan - a group of players is good for a max of 3 years before you’ll need to buy some more? Well that’s spot on and something I hope Levy and Co will learn from. I still have faith in our manager as he’s a born winner but some serious investment is needed and it’s unfortuent that Poch wasn’t given the opportunity to spend the money!

agree with all that except I’d include lloris in the discard pile, felt for a while that there must be better out there for us.

Can’t argue with SAF

He constantly replaced players

Thats why I am all for new owners. Even if mourinho does well, ours will think it's a reason not to invest & push on. Or if we don't do well our owners say it's mourinho's fault, we have the talent. As for heavily refreshing the team every 3 years like fergie, he wouldn't have been able to do that with our owners. We will never be serial winners under these lot.

The stadium transition clearly hurt us. In the last 3 seasons of Poch purchases were either poor or didn't happen.

The young players we've bought just haven't been brought up to speed to replace the outgoing players.

We need a few ready to play at the top level signings but also bring in the young players again.

The fact that 109 forum members voted underinvestment suggests there's a significant number on here who aren't happy with the backing Poch got from the board.
109 is significant these days? Pretty sure more people would vote in a poll asking what everyone’s favourite colour is. Mate.
Significant on a Forum thread yes. I would say. 187 votes cast.
Why not try your theory out? Post the poll?
Mine's pink, btw
I’ll give it a miss.

Bottler

122 now, btw

Thats why I am all for new owners. Even if mourinho does well, ours will think it's a reason not to invest & push on. Or if we don't do well our owners say it's mourinho's fault, we have the talent. As for heavily refreshing the team every 3 years like fergie, he wouldn't have been able to do that with our owners. We will never be serial winners under these lot.
No we won't but on the plus side the club will make a fortune from beer, food and merchandise which is what it's all about for the owners.

The whole club from chairman to manager to player, and maybe fans as well, stopped doing what we had been doing.

We collectively thought we had made it. We stopped seeking the hungry and always in Pochettino's case the slightly difficult to handle mavericks and within that the good deals.

A salutary lesson to all of us that the second you take your eye off the ball or chase a different model without working even harder that you slip very quickly and in our case very dramatically.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything.

I am sure there could be even more so I won't say too much.

If there is a chink of light and I am not sure there is and certainly no one showing it at present, is that it gives opportunity to others to make a statement.

Sadly I think we are in a sh!t place and am just grateful we do have points on the board.

Amazing position to be in.

Back
Top Bottom