When did we last play well?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Geniune question for everyone , when was the last time do you think we played well ?
The last game I can remember was probably Everton 2-6 Tottenham or Tottenham 3-1 Chelsea last season . A lot of people will refer back to last season's UCL games but I felt we were quite lucky , especially against Dortmund who we somehow beat 4-0 on aggregate when in both legs they were probably better than us and we had some very good defending and goalkeeping to thank for that aggregate score.
The times when we've beat teams for example 4-0 , we beat them 4-0 but we don't exactly dominate them , take the Crystal Palace game in September while we beat them 4-0 , they actually had more Shots on target on us . To look even closer take a look at the Burnley game where we beat them 5-0 , Burnley actually had more possession than us and we didn't even look particularly amazing going forward just very clinical.

Now maybe the problem is my perception of good football. For me I enjoy watching football when our team creates a lot of chances and dominates the other team , a bit like what City do week in week out although obviously we won't ever reach that level. For me the pressing was also key to this domination. So many times in 15/16 and 16/17 we'd press for the ball , win it back in the final 3rd and create a good chance. Ever since that started to dissapear in 17/18 , our style of play has become quite boring . Noticably we've started to try and do long-ball football a bit more , or we're just passing it around the back without any idea of what to do with it.
Even when we played Norwich , while we were better than them we weren't much better than them , and you wouldn't have known that we were UCL finalists and they were in the bottom 3 at the time.

I suppose my question is well a) When was the last time we played well? and b) Do you agree with my perception of what a good style of play is [Paragraph above].

That's my point though for me we didn't actually play very well in those games If I'm looking at my own criteria for what I enjoy watching. That's why maybe its just me..
If you limit it to just what you personally find to be enjoyable football then I think the thread is going to struggle because everyone has different tastes.

Personally my favorite brand of football that we played was the last season at the Lane. But I also enjoyed the early stage of Mourinho's reign where we played effective counter attacking football with shades of his Inter side in it. And the last Pochettino years also had a few games each season that we played real well.

But the last full season where we played rock and roll ball was 16-17 IMO.

That's my point though for me we didn't actually play very well in those games If I'm looking at my own criteria for what I enjoy watching. That's why maybe its just me..

Yes I thought we played well in those games (see 4-0 vs Palace too).

I have no problem with incisive penetrative football. If that includes a degree of long balls I'm fine with that.

That's not to say I condone mindlessly lumping the ball fwd every time; but slow probing football does my head in.

Christmas 2018 is the last tine we were a genuinely scary side for opposition

we played well against Burnley at home this season, and West Ham away even though we tried to throw it in the last 10 mins

Geniune question for everyone , when was the last time do you think we played well ?
The last game I can remember was probably Everton 2-6 Tottenham or Tottenham 3-1 Chelsea last season . A lot of people will refer back to last season's UCL games but I felt we were quite lucky , especially against Dortmund who we somehow beat 4-0 on aggregate when in both legs they were probably better than us and we had some very good defending and goalkeeping to thank for that aggregate score.
The times when we've beat teams for example 4-0 , we beat them 4-0 but we don't exactly dominate them , take the Crystal Palace game in September while we beat them 4-0 , they actually had more Shots on target on us . To look even closer take a look at the Burnley game where we beat them 5-0 , Burnley actually had more possession than us and we didn't even look particularly amazing going forward just very clinical.

Now maybe the problem is my perception of good football. For me I enjoy watching football when our team creates a lot of chances and dominates the other team , a bit like what City do week in week out although obviously we won't ever reach that level. For me the pressing was also key to this domination. So many times in 15/16 and 16/17 we'd press for the ball , win it back in the final 3rd and create a good chance. Ever since that started to dissapear in 17/18 , our style of play has become quite boring . Noticably we've started to try and do long-ball football a bit more , or we're just passing it around the back without any idea of what to do with it.
Even when we played Norwich , while we were better than them we weren't much better than them , and you wouldn't have known that we were UCL finalists and they were in the bottom 3 at the time.

I suppose my question is well a) When was the last time we played well? and b) Do you agree with my perception of what a good style of play is [Paragraph above].
One of the more annoying things about the Pich reign for me was our tendency to take our foot off the gas once result was in the bag, if we got to 3 up then you knew we'd just tap it around early for however long there was left. We might go on to get another goal or even 2 but there would be no real effort made for it. Irritatingly pragmatic.

Maybe if we'd have fostered a more ruthless attitude and demolished sides by 6, 7 or 8 when the gulf in class was there for it, we would have gone on to achieve more.

If you limit it to just what you personally find to be enjoyable football then I think the thread is going to struggle because everyone has different tastes.

Personally my favorite brand of football that we played was the last season at the Lane. But I also enjoyed the early stage of Mourinho's reign where we played effective counter attacking football with shades of his Inter side in it. And the last Pochettino years also had a few games each season that we played real well.

But the last full season where we played rock and roll ball was 16-17 IMO.
Yeah agree that's the football I like. High press , flying FBS and dominating opponents.

So? Hitting the target with a daisy cutter 14 times in a match means fuck all.
NEVER look at stats when judging who was best.

I think the last game where we truly dominated an opponent was Chelsea at Wembley last season. It should have been 10-0 after 60 minutes. That was the last time where our attacking football led to us totally controlling a game and not giving the opponent a sniff, we tore into them from the first whistle.

That was the last time we played like an elite team and not a just a team with some good players.

I think the last game where we truly dominated an opponent was Chelsea at Wembley last season. It should have been 10-0 after 60 minutes. That was the last time where our attacking football led to us totally controlling a game and not giving the opponent a sniff, we tore into them from the first whistle.

That was the last time we played like an elite team and not a just a team with some good players.
That's the sort of football I mean. That's what I mean by dominating an opponent , not just being really clinical.
I miss that football..

That's the sort of football I mean. That's what I mean by dominating an opponent , not just being really clinical.
I miss that football..

I think we ran out of puff after Son scored the 3rd goal.
The first 20-30 minutes were epic, we blew them away. Think they missed a bit of a sitter but we scored 2 and could have had more before HT.
Son scored soon after HT but we backed off/ran out of steam and they scored.

It was some of the best football I'd seen us play though. Like ever.
When Son scored the 3rd some one a few rows in front went ballistic and threw coke up in the air and sprayed most of the block lol.

I don’t remember specifically when we played well, but it all went bad about mid January 2019. The CL run (which was paved with lucky breaks) helped everyone overlook how bad we really were.

Christ, not an easy question. I'm trying to think of the last time I really enjoyed a performance (not just the outcome)...even the results we've got recently against City, Wolves weren't exactly vintage stuff. Doing the scum away in the league cup Dec 2018 along with some others mentioned maybe

Back
Top Bottom