When did we last play well?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The question is 'when did we last play well'. I would say at home to Burnley. Now if the question was 'when did we last play brilliantly' it would be a lot earlier. I was there for the Burnley game and we did play well but not brilliantly. over the years we have performed brilliantly many times but not in the finals where it really mattered. Even the Ricky Villa game we had to come back from 2-1 down.

Yeah either Burnley or Palace , first hour against Palace was great but we got sloppy in last half an hour , if they had a striker upfront that wasn't Benteke they would have pegged us back by a couple of goals

I did think that Palace game was going to kick our season into gear though

We played well against Palace this season at home. Especially in the first half.
That is not called "we played well". A football match is a game of 2 halves. What you are referring to is blips here and there without any consistency.

We played well against Burnley at home this season but again here and there.

We played well before Jan 2019, Seasons 2015/16/17/18 and even before that. We have been playing badly since Jan 2019.

That is not called "we played well". A football match is a game of 2 halves. What you are referring to is blips here and there without any consistency.

We played well against Burnley at home this season but again here and there.

We played well before Jan 2019, Seasons 2015/16/17/18 and even before that. We have been playing badly since Jan 2019.

Well in that case, I haven't seen us play well since 2017.

3 years ago.

Well in that case, I haven't seen us play well since 2017.

3 years ago.
We did start 2018/19 season extremely well upto December 2018, our points tally was the best since 1960/61 season, but from Jan 2019 to date is been very poor.

Week 18:
Premier League standings (games, points, goal difference):

1. Liverpool: 18, 48, 32

2. Manchester City: 18, 44, 37

3. Spurs: 18, 42, 19

4. Chelsea: 18, 37, 20

5. Woolwich: 18, 37, 16

6. Manchester United: 18, 29, 4

We were only 6 points behind P1. But we just made P4 at the end of the season, we were lucky because other teams didn't take advantage of our poor run in the second half. It was the time when Poch was sulking about lack of signings and stadium completion date. We had same squad minus Dembele.

We had a great first half of the 2018/19 season in terms of points but the actual performances were sending us major warning signs of what was to come

The only games I can recall us looking good in were the Chelsea , Everton and Bournemouth games around Christmas time and it basically all came crashing down soon after that

We did start 2018/19 season extremely well upto December 2018, our points tally was the best since 1960/61 season, but from Jan 2019 to date is been very poor.

Week 18:
Premier League standings (games, points, goal difference):

1. Liverpool: 18, 48, 32

2. Manchester City: 18, 44, 37

3. Spurs: 18, 42, 19

4. Chelsea: 18, 37, 20

5. Woolwich: 18, 37, 16

6. Manchester United: 18, 29, 4

We were only 6 points behind P1. But we just made P4 at the end of the season, we were lucky because other teams didn't take advantage of our poor run in the second half. It was the time when Poch was sulking about lack of signings and stadium completion date. We had same squad minus Dembele.

Don't think we actually played well though.

Geniune question for everyone , when was the last time do you think we played well ?
The last game I can remember was probably Everton 2-6 Tottenham or Tottenham 3-1 Chelsea last season . A lot of people will refer back to last season's UCL games but I felt we were quite lucky , especially against Dortmund who we somehow beat 4-0 on aggregate when in both legs they were probably better than us and we had some very good defending and goalkeeping to thank for that aggregate score.
The times when we've beat teams for example 4-0 , we beat them 4-0 but we don't exactly dominate them , take the Crystal Palace game in September while we beat them 4-0 , they actually had more Shots on target on us . To look even closer take a look at the Burnley game where we beat them 5-0 , Burnley actually had more possession than us and we didn't even look particularly amazing going forward just very clinical.

Now maybe the problem is my perception of good football. For me I enjoy watching football when our team creates a lot of chances and dominates the other team , a bit like what City do week in week out although obviously we won't ever reach that level. For me the pressing was also key to this domination. So many times in 15/16 and 16/17 we'd press for the ball , win it back in the final 3rd and create a good chance. Ever since that started to dissapear in 17/18 , our style of play has become quite boring . Noticably we've started to try and do long-ball football a bit more , or we're just passing it around the back without any idea of what to do with it.
Even when we played Norwich , while we were better than them we weren't much better than them , and you wouldn't have known that we were UCL finalists and they were in the bottom 3 at the time.

I suppose my question is well a) When was the last time we played well? and b) Do you agree with my perception of what a good style of play is [Paragraph above].

In fairness we did not just play well against Everton on the day you state. We were outstanding. Arguably one of our best performances under Pochettino full stop.

We have probably played well here and there but our performances have been consistently average or worse, much like the majority of our players.

Under 2 managers of undisputed quality it's a shocker.

We had a great first half of the 2018/19 season in terms of points but the actual performances were sending us major warning signs of what was to come

The only games I can recall us looking good in were the Chelsea , Everton and Bournemouth games around Christmas time and it basically all came crashing down soon after that

Correct. Burnley away was the moment the edifice really started to crumble quite evidently.

Ok let me rephrase my question when was the last time we were outstanding
Because some say we played well against Burnley and I would agree but we didn't dominate them and we were just extremly clinical.

Back
Top Bottom