When does the cavalry arrive? - Gazza, Foyth, Sanchez, Sess, Lo Celso, Japhet Tanganganganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve been watching our defence more intently the last few games and I think Aurier, Rose and Vert should be dropped, Vert being the key person. I think he’s really starting to look his age these days. The bigger guys lose their pace quicker and with the high line we employ, pace is essential. I don’t think Alderweireld is playing to the level he can but I think he should be starting. From what I’ve heard, he is one of the quieter people in the dressing room and he seems to just get on with it. Sanchez needs to be starting CB. I can tell his confidence must be low, hence why Poch probably isn’t playing him, but the only way to fix that is to get him playing games. Davies in for Rose is an easy one. Rose is a better LB but the Welsh wizard always gives it his all and we need a team with positive players now. RB is harder; boy oh boy I wish we had Trippier now, what a terrible decision that is turning out to be. KWP should be coming in for Aurier when he’s back but he’s got a lot to learn and I don’t think is a starter at this time but we have no one else I can trust. Aurier is a loose cannon. Key area to fix in January.

I think at this point we just need to stop shipping goals. You can’t win anything with a bad defence so let’s get the basics working again.

COYS

Drop them for who though? We don't exactly have a world class bench to cherry pick from... Plus all the injuries.

That's easy....

Toby out / Sanchez or Foyth in.
Eriksen out / Lucas in (move Lamela into Eriksen role or switch to 433).
Rose out / Davies in.
If one suspects Vert also to be a problem / Sanchez or Foyth in.

Expecting "world class" talent to replace them is to deny the predicament we're in and a complete misnomer. The motive is to replace them with motivated individuals here.... If those suspected weren't better players on paper they wouldn't occupy a first XI spot to begin with.

I’ve been watching our defence more intently the last few games and I think Aurier, Rose and Vert should be dropped, Vert being the key person. I think he’s really starting to look his age these days. The bigger guys lose their pace quicker and with the high line we employ, pace is essential. I don’t think Alderweireld is playing to the level he can but I think he should be starting. From what I’ve heard, he is one of the quieter people in the dressing room and he seems to just get on with it. Sanchez needs to be starting CB. I can tell his confidence must be low, hence why Poch probably isn’t playing him, but the only way to fix that is to get him playing games. Davies in for Rose is an easy one. Rose is a better LB but the Welsh wizard always gives it his all and we need a team with positive players now. RB is harder; boy oh boy I wish we had Trippier now, what a terrible decision that is turning out to be. KWP should be coming in for Aurier when he’s back but he’s got a lot to learn and I don’t think is a starter at this time but we have no one else I can trust. Aurier is a loose cannon. Key area to fix in January.

I think at this point we just need to stop shipping goals. You can’t win anything with a bad defence so let’s get the basics working again.

COYS

Personally thought Verts hasn’t been to bad, yeh not quick but never has been. It’s fine to have one slow CB as long as the other is quick and Toby has lost his pace as well as Rose for that matter.

I am more worried about Rose, Toby and Aurier than Verts rights now.

No he's played most of his games as a left winger. Post on a Fulham board and ask the question if you need further evidence.

Sess has played many games at left back for Fulham and started out there as well. I don’t see much of a role in LWF for us given Son or Lucas will be playing there but given we have a declining Rose and an average Davies LB is the obvious route for his development. He is 19 and I have seen him myself at LB for Fulham and England U21’s at LB, he has a lot of talent but needs further development.

No he's played most of his games as a left winger. Post on a Fulham board and ask the question if you need further evidence.

If you'd said left winger or LB/LWB I'd have agree or at least agreed to disagree, but left midfielder?

Unless one is living in a trad. 442 world (which last time I checked, we at Spurs don't); LMF = Ndombele for us.

Yes, this may sound like picky semantics, but hey.....

Sess has played many games at left back for Fulham and started out there as well. I don’t see much of a role in LWF for us given Son or Lucas will be playing there but given we have a declining Rose and an average Davies LB is the obvious route for his development. He is 19 and I have seen him myself at LB for Fulham and England U21’s at LB, he has a lot of talent but needs further development.

Indeed.... If the plan isn't for RS to be a LB/LWB here I'll happily hold my hands up if proved wrong in time.

If you'd said left winger or LB/LWB I'd have agree or at least agreed to disagree, but left midfielder?

Unless one is living in a trad. 442 world (which last time I checked, we at Spurs don't); LMF = Ndombele for us.

Yes, this may sound like picky semantics, but hey.....
Are you on some sort of hard drugs??

You're initial comment was that he played the majority of his pro games as a left back.......I said that's not true and it's been at left mid....you say LB/LWB....I say left winger and then you say you would have either:

1) Agreed
Or
2) Agreed to disagree (which means you diaagree)

Had i said left winger from the beginning looool. So you would have either did one or the other....WHICH is the only 2 things you can do and it's what you did anyway by disagreeing looool.

Anyway its factual so not much to disagree with. He definitely has played as a left back but the majority of games was as a left winger.

Are you on some sort of hard drugs??

You're initial comment was that he played the majority of his pro games as a left back.......I said that's not true and it's been at left mid....you say LB/LWB....I say left winger and then you say you would have either:

1) Agreed
Or
2) Agreed to disagree (which means you diaagree)

Had i said left winger from the beginning looool. So you would have either did one or the other....WHICH is the only 2 things you can do and it's what you did anyway by disagreeing looool.

Anyway its factual so not much to disagree with. He definitely has played as a left back but the majority of games was as a left winger.

My initial comment was in fact that we'd bought him for LB....

You:

"Sess is not a left back."

"left sided midfielder."

Perhaps you are the one on drugs.

I already admitted this was bickering over semantics, but you're making sketchy contradictions to begin with.

Sessegnon would be better in a 5 at present and I still contest his best position is left midfield. We will see.

Ultimately it's as much about the squad having confidence and players remembering their quality.

And much of that is the manager's job.

Drop them for who though? We don't exactly have a world class bench to cherry pick from... Plus all the injuries.
Yeah fair points, but can they be worse than what we are seeing?

Maybe it would help squad harmony if the want always were removed from the match day squad? Lo celso and sess can come in, Eriksen can be replaced by lamela or moura. Sanchez in at the back, Foyth needs more minutes.

I can stomach defeats if I see a team developing and wanting to put a shift in. Tuesday was a disgrace and yesterday was an embarrassment.

My initial comment was in fact that we'd bought him for LB....

You:

"Sess is not a left back."

"left sided midfielder."

Perhaps you are the one on drugs.

I already admitted this was bickering over semantics, but you're making sketchy contradictions to begin with.
You forgot the post where you insinuated he's played the majority of his football career as a left back (which is not true).

It's not bickering over semantics anyway. He's looked his best by far as a left winger. Can he play left back? Maybe but based on his career so far he's a left winger (god knows how you've decided he was bought as a left back as nobody knows this bar Poch and I doubt he even knows).

You forgot the post where you insinuated he's played the majority of his football career as a left back (which is not true).

I asked you.... I insinuated nothing.

You said catagorically that we wasn't a LB even though he has played there a significant amount of time and was getting props for scoring so much from LB in the championship.

It's not bickering over semantics anyway.

"It", as in I was, but like I said before your contradictions here are a bit sketchy.

He's looked his best by far as a left winger.

That's opinion... Yours or someone else's, I don't know.

Can he play left back? Maybe but based on his career so far he's a left winger (god knows how you've decided he was bought as a left back as nobody knows this bar Poch and I doubt he even knows).

I believe he has been based on the fact we have Son, bought Clarke in the same window and were looking to shift Rose, without being linked to any other LBs. That is not me claiming it as a fact; but the evidence is credible enough.

Me (above):

"If the plan isn't for RS to be a LB/LWB here I'll happily hold my hands up if proved wrong in time."

I suspect it's time to move on....

That's easy....

Toby out / Sanchez or Foyth in.
Eriksen out / Lucas in (move Lamela into Eriksen role or switch to 433).
Rose out / Davies in.
If one suspects Vert also to be a problem / Sanchez or Foyth in.

Expecting "world class" talent to replace them is to deny the predicament we're in and a complete misnomer. The motive is to replace them with motivated individuals here.... If those suspected weren't better players on paper they wouldn't occupy a first XI spot to begin with.
Can't see how that will dramatically change things personally...

Can't see how that will dramatically change things personally...

It will achieve what it's set out to which is to field players that we believe can be trusted to be motivated.

Otherwise, I don't understand what you're seeking when replacing want-away players in the line-up?

.....What bizzaro club has better players on the bench than they do in the starting XI????

Makes no sense.

It will achieve what it's set out to which is to field players that we believe can be trusted to be motivated.

Otherwise, I don't understand what you're seeking when replacing want-away players in the line-up?

.....What bizzaro club has better players on the bench than they do in the starting XI????

Makes no sense.
Well I wasn't the one advocating replacing players...

I just don't think the problem will change with those players coming in. Davies, Sanchez and Foyth haven't exactly set the world alight either when they have played. Although I would like to see more of Moura.

My point is we don't have the luxury of just benching all the underperforming first 11 like say Man City, which you're agreeing with?

I'm not saying underperforming players should get a free pass, just that wholesale changes from the bench is currently difficult.

Well I wasn't the one advocating replacing players...

I just don't think the problem will change with those players coming in. Davies, Sanchez and Foyth haven't exactly set the world alight either when they have played. Although I would like to see more of Moura.

My point is we don't have the luxury of just benching all the underperforming first 11 like say Man City, which you're agreeing with?

I'm not saying underperforming players should get a free pass, just that wholesale changes from the bench is currently difficult.

My apologies if I was mistaken.

I'm not convinced even City (sic) could field an entirely different XI without their being some form of drop off, but surely you address what you can, where you can.

KWP or Sissoko / Sanchez (*) / Vert / Davies
Winks / Dier or Skipp / Ndombele
Lucas / Kane / Son​

(*whom played well with Jan previously)

......Looks decent enough to me and avoids playing players we suspect have checked out already.

How's Dembele doing over in China....could do with him back 😂 honestly not been the same team since he went. Our drop in form since he left highlights how important he was for us.

How's Dembele doing over in China....could do with him back 😂 honestly not been the same team since he went. Our drop in form since he left highlights how important he was for us.

He was important but was nearly finished as a PL player when he left
But you’re right we’ve never adequately replaced him

Back
Top Bottom