When does the cavalry arrive? - Gazza, Foyth, Sanchez, Sess, Lo Celso, Japhet Tanganganganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally thought Verts hasn’t been to bad, yeh not quick but never has been. It’s fine to have one slow CB as long as the other is quick and Toby has lost his pace as well as Rose for that matter.

I am more worried about Rose, Toby and Aurier than Verts rights now.

Fair enough but I agree both of them should not play at the same time. Despite some of the negative feedback on here, I have high hopes for Sanchez. I’m also hopeful of Foyth but less so. Poch should identify defence as a key overhaul area for next year - especially with Vert and Alderweireld almost certainly not at the club next year - and have Foyth and Sanchez partner one of the former on a continuous basis this year. I don’t want to see Vert and Alderweireld in the same team again again this year. They’ve got too slow and their marking has been suspect a lot which was one of their strong points.

Lastly, Davies over Sess any day of the week. When was the last transfer we had that made an instant impact.... Van der Vaart? Sess is not going to have the same impact, I can guarantee you that. Let him play left back if Vert is on the left hand side of CB. This is all of course based on the assumption Poch even wants him at LB

Could just be that 5 years of poch training has killed everyones body. Must shorten the shelf life to train at high intensity all the time
The poch system must be over reliant on energy and fitness, but doesn't work so well when the players get older, it doesn't make the most of their increase in experience.
Assuming if we did have the likes of Aguero, Marcelo, Busquets, etc he would have run them into the ground as well by now.

Got to agree, need to make the change now, need a centre half and right back in January and Toby, Rose and especially Eriksen can sit in the stand until January
There is a big difference between what we need and what we will get.

Nobody is going to buy in Jan, it’s bad time and there won’t be interest when buyers can wait for June to get for free.

So if Toby. Vert and Eriksen leave for free, will Levy spend £100m on the positions you said we need?! NO. At best we may get one player.

Last edited:
I don't think Poch has the balls/heart to drop players that he "made". Loyalty seems to be such a key factor in his philosophy and he expects the same loyalty from the players that he shows them.

I don't think he is going to drop players like Christian, Jan and Toby because I think that he legitimately still thinks that they will show up to training one day with new contracts and everything will be hunkey dory.

He needs to show about of ruthlessness and bench wantaways and trouble makers. But I don't think he has it in him to do it to "his boys".
Happens to every manager. Wenger fergie etc...
If I thought the kids could do better than the 1st team, I'd be all for it....
But I fear, like Poch, he realises that what's 'left' is at least 1 or 2 years off delivering anything LIKE what we'd need to properly compete .... so we may as well stick with what we've got until Jan..... when hopefully, anyone that DOESN'T wanna be here politely fucks off..... and we're left with what we're left with...

Who'd be Ryan Sessegnon right now?

They aint fuckin off till next summer. But i agree i hope we find solutikns in jan.

I asked you.... I insinuated nothing.

You said catagorically that we wasn't a LB even though he has played there a significant amount of time and was getting props for scoring so much from LB in the championship.

"It", as in I was, but like I said before your contradictions here are a bit sketchy.

That's opinion... Yours or someone else's, I don't know.

I believe he has been based on the fact we have Son, bought Clarke in the same window and were looking to shift Rose, without being linked to any other LBs. That is not me claiming it as a fact; but the evidence is credible enough.

Me (above):

"If the plan isn't for RS to be a LB/LWB here I'll appily hold my hands up if proved wrong in time."

I suspect it's time to move on....
Why are you lying now?? Unreal.

It's clear as day that's what you was insinuating with your initial comments but go ahead and squirm out of it. "I was asking" yehhhh ok mate.

Btw you're talking out your arse. When he was scoring those goals and getting props it was as a left winger. Do you want me to open an account on a Fulham board and pose the question?

Fulham fans (both the ones that I know personally and the ones on the forum which I visited when we were linked) absolutely laughed their tits off when our fan base was putting him the starting 11 as a left back as he apparently looked crap there.

Can he be coached into playing LB? Yes because he's young and Poch has a record of doing that but currently as of now....he is not a left back.

Why are you lying now?? Unreal.

It's clear as day that's what you was insinuating with your initial comments but go ahead and squirm out of it. "I was asking" yehhhh ok mate.

Btw you're talking out your arse. When he was scoring those goals and getting props it was as a left winger. Do you want me to open an account on a Fulham board and pose the question?

Fulham fans (both the ones that I know personally and the ones on the forum which I visited when we were linked) absolutely laughed their tits off when our fan base was putting him the starting 11 as a left back as he apparently looked crap there.

Can he be coached into playing LB? Yes because he's young and Poch has a record of doing that but currently as of now....he is not a left back.

Fine. I'm (and most of the player profiles I read y'day are) talking out of my arse. :roll:

Alexander Arnold was a midfield player in Liverpool youth teams. Now he’s a full back. Not the greatest defender but not many full backs are. The position has changed.

According to your personal theory maybe, but where has he played the majority of his pro football?
He played left back in the youth teams but only broke through as a left winger or midfielder which is where he attracted our interest. When he played left back once or twice even against poor opposition he looked totally lost and had a shocker.

He might be able to become left back in the future ala Ashley Young, Tony Valencia etc but he's nowhere near a PL quality left back as of now.

Even Maitland Niles is a much better full back at the moment and I don't think we should be emulating our neighbour's defence..

He played left back in the youth teams but only broke through as a left winger or midfielder which is where he attracted our interest. When he played left back once or twice even against poor opposition he looked totally lost and had a shocker.

He might be able to become left back in the future ala Ashley Young, Tony Valencia etc but he's nowhere near a PL quality left back as of now.

Even Maitland Niles is a much better full back at the moment and I don't think we should be emulating our neighbour's defence..
Wow somebody that knows what he's talking about. Hallelujah.

When we play the park the bus teams, I am often impressed by some defenders. They get more practice and why can we not buy one with Premiership experience. Not my job to name one as we have Scouts paid to do that but I am not convinced by any of our CB's performances this cal lender year.

So whats the latest on the summer signings? Are they fit?

Its a real pain all 3 arnt playing. We need a bit of enthusiasm

I think the official line is that Lo Celso May be fit for today in some capcity, Ndombele can’t last more than 25 minutes and is overweight. We also bought Sess broken and although training is some way off playing.

Laughable

Was kinda of the mind we could win the Europa league! I know I know, I’m a glass half full kinda guy but if we play the second half of the season with nothing to aim for that’s not gonna help either! 60k stadium empty....oh gawd
Least we haven’t got to worry about beating the night Colchester in the EL

Back
Top Bottom