When is Harry going to STFU about England?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Tottenham is my only focus, really. I want to make sure we get Champions League football this year."

Then stop giving fucking England manager based interviews to that shithouse outlet and focus on getting us there ffs.

Regards Mr D. Levy

He turned his nose up at the Chelsea job point blank which is very odd. You would think he would keep his options open & just say the usual off the shelf, none committal response that is the normal par for the course for a manager when a lucrative financial deal is possibly at stake. Something like this:

"I haven't been approached so its not really a question I can answer, whoever takes on the job has got a hell of a lot of pressure on them but who hasn't nowadays in the prem, its a tempting job for any manager out there thats for sure & if I wasnt at Tottenham I would bite their hand off if they offered it to me, any manager would be a fool not to, with all the financial backing they get at Chelsea buying players would not be an issue which is one of the most difficult aspects of being a manager.
But as I said, they have not made any contact so it would be foolish of me to say yay or nay but for some lucky manager its a place where you could really go and make a mark with full backing from the owner, the pressure is a downside but there is pressure wherever you look in top flight football"

Instead he said:

I wouldn't be able to come back to north London so no, I will pass on that one???

He did in his comments say it was a dream job, good money and facilities but he followed it up with an absolute no???

That tells me he has made his mind up & his dream job is, as he has already made clear, managing his country, his dismissal of the possibility was also probably to send a message to the FA that he only had eyes for them so to speak.

of course I could just be muttering complete shite & need to up my medication again.

realgoneyid said:
He turned his nose up at the Chelsea job point blank which is very odd. You would think he would keep his options open & just say the usual off the shelf, none committal response that is the normal par for the course for a manager when a lucrative financial deal is possibly at stake. Something like this:

"I haven't been approached so its not really a question I can answer, whoever takes on the job has got a hell of a lot of pressure on them but who hasn't nowadays in the prem, its a tempting job for any manager out there thats for sure & if I wasnt at Tottenham I would bite their hand off if they offered it to me, any manager would be a fool not to, with all the financial backing they get at Chelsea buying players would not be an issue which is one of the most difficult aspects of being a manager.
But as I said, they have not made any contact so it would be foolish of me to say yay or nay but for some lucky manager its a place where you could really go and make a mark with full backing from the owner, the pressure is a downside but there is pressure wherever you look in top flight football"

Instead he said:

I wouldn't be able to come back to north London so no, I will pass on that one???

He did in his comments say it was a dream job, good money and facilities but he followed it up with an absolute no???

That tells me he has made his mind up & his dream job is, as he has already made clear, managing his country, his dismissal of the possibility was also probably to send a message to the FA that he only had eyes for them so to speak.

of course I could just be muttering complete shite & need to up my medication again.
I dunno. The Chelsea job is less attractive then the Spurs job. Spurs are working towards something special. The potential is there is droves. If he does go to England then I reckon it's his hope to leave Tottenham with a good reputation (although I personally think that very fact of going to England will cost him that - which is something he probably doesn't appreciate). If he stays then he has a good chance of winning the league with Spurs without the politics and prima donna players he'd have to contend with at Chelsea.

If the England job went to someone else tomorrow then I doubt there would be better options for Harry to manage that Tottenham, unless Man U started knocking on the door. I think that's why he turned Chelsea down. It's arguably even more of a posioned chalice than England. At least at Spurs he gets the backing to craft something over a period of seasons, rather than an impatient owner who wants the Champions League won within 10 months of appointing a manager.

So I reckon it al boils down to a difficult choice between us and the national job. There are pros and cons to both, but ultimately I reckon if Levy bests England's financial offer then he will stay with us. Question is, would Levy be prepared to do that? I'm not so sure he would - especially if it ends up costsing close to what it would cost to bring in someone like Mourinho.

Agree the Chelsea job is a forlorne hope that you would be throwing yourself into with every chance of a P45 at the end of it, but I was just puzzled as to why he completely ruled it out straight away. His comment was in a morning press conference on the 6th of march & AVB was only sacked on the afternoon of the 4th.

That only gave Harry a day and a bit to weigh it up & he also had the United game to contend with on the 4th of march.

For him to be that certain & say no way as he did could be a clue/insight into his thinking.

He is 65 years old & its not too far wide of the mark to assume any move will be his last, so financial implications & time are big factors imho.

If he went to chelsea he could be retired after 1 season with another massive payday in which case he is home and dry if you know what I mean. Plenty of time to play on the wii with sandra and the grand kids with a hefty sum paid into rosie47 for very little time invested. On the other hand if it went well at chelsea he would have an endless supply of funds to keep it going and it could turn into the dream job as he calls it.

Whilst I totally agree that the Spurs manager job has its own level of appeal that is not to be sneezed at with all the expansion plans and definite forward momentum, I still cant see Harry completely dismissing the Chelsea job in the way he did, in the time he had to contemplate it, bang smack in the middle of a game against United? Unless he had already 100% made his mind up.

Either his mind was made up he is staying at Spurs or his mind was made up he wants to finish his career with the ultimate career challenge for an English football manager.

After all his quotes in the media regarding the England job I would be very suprised if he turned it down & stayed at Spurs.

Thats if he does well enough with us in the run in & keeps the FA interested, if the worse should happen (perish the thought) then Harry may find himself without any options.

Its going to be an interesting saga as it unravels & will reveal a hell of a lot about our Gaffa thats for sure.

Anyone else feel that Redknapp's recent 'dabble' with 4-4-2 is an exercise in trying out possible formation for England, just to see if it works??? WHICH IT DOESN'T!

1882 said:
Anyone else feel that Redknapp's recent 'dabble' with 4-4-2 is an exercise in trying out possible formation for England, just to see if it works??? WHICH IT DOESN'T!

More a justification of signing Saha / having promised Saha first team games

and trying to fit the four best fit midfielders into the team.......Sandro and Parker should never really start a match in the same team unless you are trying to draw an away game by playing 451

Blanchflower said:
1882 said:

More a justification of signing Saha / having promised Saha first team games

and trying to fit the four best fit midfielders into the team.......Sandro and Parker should never really start a match in the same team unless you are trying to draw an away game by playing 451
Agreed, the players brought in have been promised games, which in turn wrecks the balance we had.

Oh I agree with the above point re Redknapp not going to go to Chelsea - that won't happen. By contrasting Brendan Rodgers' style I just meant, comparing Arry's way of dealing with these type of rumours with BRs. I really like the way Rodgers said the Chelsea job is a poisoned chalice and not good for a manager to take, he wants to build his career not destroy it. I respected the fact he came out and told it how it is. Redknapp wouldn't have said that at all if he was in Brendan Rodgers' position.

S.L.R said:
Oh I agree with the above point re Redknapp not going to go to Chelsea - that won't happen. By contrasting Brendan Rodgers' style I just meant, comparing Arry's way of dealing with these type of rumours with BRs. I really like the way Rodgers said the Chelsea job is a poisoned chalice and not good for a manager to take, he wants to build his career not destroy it. I respected the fact he came out and told it how it is. Redknapp wouldn't have said that at all if he was in Brendan Rodgers' position.

Yeah, I think it is a good comparison. The England job is a poisoned chalice too, I don't know why it is considered the best. Top managers like Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho wouldn't consider the England job as a serious post in comparison to a top 4 Premier League team and I also doubt they'd want to manage their respected countries now as well. I don't buy in to all of this bullshit that England is the pinnacle and somehow the exception to the rule that you can talk about. The managers before him all left England and went to shit clubs and countries afterwards, dropping leagues etc. - whatever their job was that went before England was always their pinnacle.

Bottom line is he has a better chance representing England by winning a European trophy with Tottenham because England will not win the World Cup and he'll be back at Bournemouth by the next Euros.

The way I see it, Brendan Rogers AND Jose Mourhino can't BOTH end up at Chelsea... so whoever they get, if we get the other, I'll be happy with that!

BTW, the 'clamour' for next-big-thing Eddie Howe seems to have gone a bit quiet... I thought he was Harry's successor in waiting!!

The answer to the question is never.

He's going to be the next England manager and it will the pinnacle of a decidedly average career. No way he can turn that down. The aim of taking England to the World Cup has to go above fighting for a Top4 finish until he retires.

He's aware Spurs can't really compete with the next tier of clubs yet, and by the time the new stadium is built and bringing in money he will be well into his 70's.

Good luck to him, I'm just accepting Harry is Harry, no way he is going to stop reminding the FA he wants the job.

Nice to see SSN and David Dein bigging him up this afternoon... honestly... I get where David-Shit-in-the-Lasagne-To-Ensure-Champions-League-Qualification-Dein is coming from... of COURSE he'd like to weaken Spurs at any cost...

but really, what have SSN to gain from promoting the idea...? unless they really ARE in the pay packet of Man Utd, Man City, ArseAnal and Chelsea, and NEED Spurs to be out of the CL to suit their paymasters!

I can think of no other reason... Harry has clearly proved in the last 3 weeks he ISN'T the master tactician for the big occasion, so why persist with the idea...? Unless Sky have an ulterior motive to destabilise Tottenham at the behest of our nearest rivals, who are paying them handsomely to promote the theory, and get the bandwagon rolling......

In every single harry to england article, there is always a sentence saying "Harry has reiterated that he has not been approached by the FA."

Anyone else thinks this is him saying to the FA "Just to remind you, you still haven't approached me yet, anytime now will be fine..."

I don't know why it is considered the best. Top managers like Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho wouldn't consider the England job as a serious post in comparison to a top 4 Premier League

Good point. Redknapp believes it is the pinnacle, based on his being English and this vision of a pyramid structure of management where that single post is at the top. It's an easy idea to subscribe to. But when the best managers in the game don't want the job, can it truly be considered a pinnacle? I don't really think it can, although I understand the way he sees it.

The way I see it, Brendan Rogers AND Jose Mourhino can't BOTH end up at Chelsea... so whoever they get, if we get the other, I'll be happy with that!

Nice thought. If we get Brendan Rodgers I'll be happy. Not convinced he'll leave Swansea yet but his lack of big club experience would not put me off him if I was Daniel Levy.

Back
Top Bottom