When we helped relegate Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always think of the gates to the away end as you turned from the High road into Park Lane and spray painted on them was 'Alfie Conn is god'. Indelibly etched in my memory.

Was still there a few years after he left.
Seem to remember going away to Burnley and someone had a King Alfred the Great banner. Won 3.2 with a late winner I think. Loved Alfie, he went on to play for my "other" club, Blackpool as well. Think he used to run a pub back in Scotland.

A few years before my time that game was but being out of south London I know that that is the day that cemented Chelsea’s No1 hated London rival.... they still talk about that relegation season and this game in particular.

Graffiti slogans at football grounds were all part of the culture back then but it’s totally out of place today. I remember a slogan on the wall as you enter by train to Lime street. Mancs and cockneys turn back or die! 🤪

Back
Top Bottom